PDA

View Full Version : How do you shorten the cutter for a goose neck hollowing tool?

Rick Markham
05-08-2011, 2:26 AM
I know this has been covered before, my brain is currently on "vacation" after finals this semester. What is the best way to shorten the cutter insert for a goose neck hollowing tool? Thanks ahead of time y'all!

Dan Forman
05-08-2011, 3:01 AM
I'm assuming you have a standard 2.5" long cutter, 3/16" or 1/4". I just put mine in a vise and went at it with a 1/8" cutoff wheel in my angle grinder. Did a fine job. I Picked up the angle grinder at a garage sale for $10 a couple of years ago, has proven to be a great investment when I need to cut metal. Harbor Freight probably has one for a good price. It's the sort of thing HF tools are great for, you probably wouldn't use it enough to wear it out, and it wouldn't cost and arm and a leg.

Dan

Rick Markham
05-08-2011, 3:10 AM
Thanks Dan! I have a Bosch angle grinder from when I was building handplanes. I've also heard of people scoring them and then snapping them in half... for the life of me I can't remember what to score it with.

Rick Markham
05-08-2011, 4:00 AM
I just cut the little bugger off with my dremel and a cutting wheel. I'm in business now!

Bill Bulloch
05-08-2011, 7:14 AM
for the life of me I can't remember what to score it with.

You score it on the edge of your grinder...all four sides...then snap. A grinder will work also.

Rick Markham
05-10-2011, 2:56 AM
Thanks Bill that's how I am going to do the other ones, I want to save the "other" half of them, and sharpen both ends of it too!