PDA

View Full Version : Turning green walnut questions

Keith E Byrd
05-07-2011, 10:09 PM
I started turning some of the walnut I picked up the other day. I really don't want this to check or crack. I had to stop before it is finished so: I put it in a plasic bag with shavings and sealed the bag shut. Don't know if I will get to work on it tomorrow (mother's day and LOML wants attention!) Will the bowl be ok?
After turning I had a ton of rust on my lathe - I steel wooled it and put paste was on. Is there something else i cna put on so I don't have to do that everytime I turn?

The bowl will be about 15 inches wide - when I finish roughing it out is it best to soak walnut in DNA or anchor seal? The bowl is too big for any container I have- suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

Lee Koepke
05-07-2011, 10:14 PM
The 'too big for my container' isnt a tough answer ... I just DNA'd a 14" maple bowl by putting it in a big garbage bag, putting that bag in a big plastic container (or box), packing shavings around the bowl to keep it steady, then add the DNA to the bag. It took a couple of gallons, but it seemed to work.

David E Keller
05-07-2011, 11:26 PM
You should be fine with just paste wax on the lathe... I don't ever do anything else. I'm guessing it had been a while since you last waxed.

I'll bet your fine bagged up for a few days... It'll start to mold if you leave it for a really long time. I think you can go either direction on the drying method... Walnut has been one of the more forgiving woods for drying in my experience.

Can't wait to see that BIG bowl!

Scott Hackler
05-07-2011, 11:43 PM
Yeah, what David said. I have occationally had to stop working on a wet blank and I just wrapped it in t plastic Wal-Mart sack and taped it up tightly around the chuck. Left it there for 3 days until I could get back at it. No appearant problems. Drying.... well thats a giant can of worms around here. Use the technique that works best for you! Or bring it over to my place and we'll soak it in Dna and wrap it up in newspaper the next day! :)