PDA

View Full Version : Eggbeater drill for wire-gauge drill bits?

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
05-07-2011, 8:08 PM
I do a surprising (to me anyway) of small drilling on (non-woodworking) projects using wire-gauge drill bits, usually in the #59-#65 size. I had been buying the fancy ones with 3/32nd shanks, but it's just cheaper and easier to buy the little tubes of a dozen or whatever, and the ones that are too dull get tossed in the coffee can for use as alignment pins for fretboards, or the idea I'll have some use for them, until I get sick of the junk and make a recycling run. (Usually within two hours of bringing a car load of recycling down, I'll find myself in desperate need of that piece of weird scrap metal I held onto for four months, but that's another story.)

Anyway, point of the story is, I'm using and enjoying my eggbeater more and more, but it doesn't seem like my later-era MF 2A is going to hold sub 1/16" bits very well, and it's a bit big for that work anyway. But I'd like one that would. Every small egg beater I stumble across has been in sad shape, so I may turn to the internet at some point, but I'm just curious; does anyone have suggestions for what I should be looking for? Would an Miller Falls No.5 in decent shape hold these tiny bits, or should I be looking for something else? I saw a No.1 that looked promising, but it had a two jaw chuck that seemed totally stuck, so I passed. I assume the biggest thing is going to be the condition of the jaws, but I was just curious if anyone had input on a model of eggbeater for small scale work.

Jonathan McCullough
05-07-2011, 9:07 PM
My understanding is that jewelers traditionally used archimedean drills for small holes. George Wilson does some business in that trade and could probably tell you more.

Shaun Mahood
05-08-2011, 12:18 AM
Looks like Lee Valley has something that may work - take a look at their Jeweller's drill, nice and cheap too.

Jim Belair
05-08-2011, 7:58 AM
I use this one http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=41753&cat=1,180,42337 for mounting small box hinges and am happy with it.

Jim B

Jonathan McCullough
05-08-2011, 9:26 AM
Here's the link (http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32297&cat=1,180,42337&ap=1) to that Lee Valley jeweler's drill. Didn't know they sold them. Looks like it's just the ticket for really fine work. Good to know.

Shawn Pixley
05-08-2011, 11:14 AM
As others have said, jewlers drills are what you are looking for. The other descrition would be pcb board drill (available at Fry's Electronics, etc...). The one that Jonathan linked is fine but there are many others that are spring loaded with a decent chuck. You might try a rock/gem or craft show.

If you are doing a lot of drilling, the Fordham #30 handpiece or the drillpress accessory (Otto Frei) works well. This info is from LOML, who is a silversmith.

Jim Koepke
05-08-2011, 1:48 PM
My old Stanley #1611 will easily hold a #60 bit (.040) and looks like it could hold something smaller. It is a bit awkward to use an eggbeater for such a small drill.

jtk

Johnny Kleso
05-08-2011, 4:40 PM
I have a two Yankee archimedean drills but you may want to look into a bow drill as the archimedean drills are pretty large..

Nixon Roger
05-10-2011, 3:54 PM
and the ones that are too dull get tossed in the coffee can for use as alignment pins for fretboards, or the idea I'll have some use for them, until I get sick of the junk and make a recycling run.

They make great points for marking gauges. They can even drill their way through the beam.