PDA

View Full Version : NE bradford pear

David E Keller
05-07-2011, 6:31 PM
I had a friend drop off a couple of chunks of this pear. It was a dead standing tree from his yard, and he thought the dark line between the heart and sap would be of interest to me... He was right! I turned the bowl for him as a thank you.

About 11 inches at it's maximum dimension and finished with several coats of BLO at this point. It's a touch on the thick side for me, but my friend tends to favor more rustic stuff. Some of you may notice that this form represents a MAJOR step for me in turning... Brace yourselves... IT'S GOT A FOOT!

Comments, criticism, and suggestions appreciated as always.

Roger Chandler
05-07-2011, 6:34 PM
Nice going David! I see you are opening your mind to more stylish forms that include a foot.........I sense real progress in your artistic interpretation! :rolleyes::p

Very nice form.........pretty wood! :);););):)

John Keeton
05-07-2011, 6:36 PM
David, glad to see you have finally realized the true beauty of a footed bowl!!!:D This is a beauty - the wood is exceptionally nice. I have some Bradford in the barn, but I don't think the color is this deep. Nice dark line between the heartwood/sapwood.

Bernie Weishapl
05-07-2011, 6:47 PM
That is a beauty David and the pear is a wonderful looking wood.

Scott Hackler
05-07-2011, 7:18 PM
Very nice, Doc. This style of bowl is nice either thick or thin. Great coloring as well.

David DeCristoforo
05-07-2011, 7:27 PM
Hosanna! A foot!!! Sweet looking bowl.. great wood... and a foot?!?! That's an awful lot to pack into one turning!

Dennis Ford
05-07-2011, 7:30 PM
I like this one a lot, it has about everything you could want in a natural edge. I have not seen any Bradford Pear with this dark of heartwood, but hope to find some, it looks great.

Jim Burr
05-07-2011, 7:33 PM
I think you're running a fever DK...I'm writing you a script for more feet!! Really nice coloring and flow.

jwjerry w kowalski
05-07-2011, 8:01 PM
That's some great looking pear, what's not to like about it, and what the heck are you doing turning a foot? Ah, but it's a small foot, I think it looks great.

John Hart
05-07-2011, 8:09 PM
I think this is a fine looking piece....even though it is lifted slightly by a small wooden appendage, I think you've hit a very nice NE look with this.:)

Pear is pretty great to turn huh?. When I downed my pear tree years ago, I had a ball for months. Too bad I didn't know what I was doing back then....All but one turning was lost to cracks and warps.

Nate Davey
05-07-2011, 8:11 PM
The journey of a thousand miles starts with one foot....or is it step. That is a beautiful piece of wood. Kind of hope my Bradford pear dies now.

Bob Bergstrom
05-07-2011, 8:16 PM
Everything is right. You did a great job of getting everything centered up and balanced. Beautiful piece of Pear. Thinner would be in the trend for this type of bowl, but it so well done I say thinness wouldn't improve it much.

Harry Robinette
05-07-2011, 8:50 PM
David
You just keep turning out beautiful pieces,this piece is one more to add to the collection.Your work is really beautiful keep up the great turning.

cal thelen
05-07-2011, 8:57 PM
thats a beauty. i need to get into turning some logs. have only done segmented stuff so far. And I like the foot.

Michael James
05-07-2011, 9:30 PM
Nice.......and now you're over the foot crisis. Free to go either way now! :D

Jim Adkins
05-07-2011, 9:38 PM
Aw....That Appendage on the bottom gives it some lift!! Nice job on
the NE. It looks balanced and just begs to be picked-up. Nice.

Kathy Marshall
05-07-2011, 11:43 PM
Very nice David! and some really cool looking wood!

Baxter Smith
05-08-2011, 12:23 AM
Great color! It must have been an old tree with all that heartwood. Very pretty!

Michelle Rich
05-08-2011, 4:43 AM
yes it has a foot, but a subtle one. I approve!!!:) I ususally do not like footed NE bowls, but this one is very nice. Great balance on the rim..super bowl

Richard Jones
05-08-2011, 6:06 AM
Good looking bowl!! I'm actually one that likes a bit more heft, especially in a NE bowl. Not so fragile looking, and begs to be fondled. Like Michelle, I normally don't like footed NE bowls either, but this one pulls it off just fine. Appendage incorporation into my next few, for sure. Thanks for sharing.

Rich

dan carter
05-08-2011, 10:20 AM
A foot. Sure enough times are a changing. Nice and small, it is subtle enough that is hardly noticeable. Nice looking bowl.