PDA

View Full Version : AAW - Saturday CREEKER MEETING!! DEADLINE

John Keeton
05-07-2011, 6:18 PM
So far, there appear to be at least 20 creekers that have indicated their intention to attend the AAW Symposium in St. Paul. Greg Just and Doug Swanson are going to help organize at least one creeker meeting, and we need your help!!

We would like to meet in a restaurant and eat a casual meal and share some time together, and a head count is critical to trying to reserve some space - if we can. And, we probably need to be doing it as quickly as possible. The thought is to be within walking distance of the RiverCentre.

We first considered meeting on Friday evening, but decided that most folks would still be taking in all of the sights, the Instant Gallery, and the various other activities that will be going on the first evening. The banquet is Saturday night, but that still seems to be the best bet on getting attendance at a gathering. I will not be attending the banquet, nor will Steve Schlumpf. I suspect others may not, as well. I realize some will, but whichever evening we pick, for one reason or another some will not be able to attend.

So..........if we try to meet at a restaurant Saturday evening, how many of you folks would be able to attend?

Scott Hackler
05-07-2011, 7:08 PM
I don't think my wife and I will be going to the banquet either. I would rather spend the "banquet" money on some burls on Sunday! So count my wife and I into a Saturday night diner, just tell us where and when. Sounds like a good time in the making.

....guess I need to get around to paying for the entry fee before the deadline for the early discount goes away.....

Alan Trout
05-07-2011, 8:05 PM
I will be there. I have not paid for a banquet ticket yet so It is not in my plans at the moment. So I could probably attend.

Alan

Lee Koepke
05-07-2011, 8:08 PM
Do we think getting John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf in the same room together is a good idea for the rest of us?????

:D:D:D:D

Joe Meirhaeghe
05-07-2011, 8:42 PM
My wife & I will be attending the banquet. Yes it may be a little pricy, but as far as I'm concerned it's not to be missed.

Jim Adkins
05-07-2011, 9:16 PM
John...I've paid for and will be atending the Banquet & auction
on Saturday nite. Will watch the postings for any change.

David Gilbert
05-07-2011, 9:55 PM
I will be a the symposium and paid for the banquet. Since I haven't attended one of these before, I figured I should give it a try. I'll be there on Thursday so either Thursday or Friday would be better for me.

I am looking forward to meeting my fellow Creekers.

Cheers,
David

Quinn McCarthy
05-07-2011, 10:45 PM
I was wondering when there would be a thread like this. The segmented group is having a get together on Friday.

Quinn

Dan Henry
05-07-2011, 10:52 PM
Count me in for Sat evening, not sure about my wife right now.

Dan

John Keeton
05-08-2011, 7:04 AM
Let me clarify that we are not, in any way, trying to compete with the banquet nor trying to entice folks to avoid the banquet. I encourage each of you to go if you have considered it. We are just trying to find the best night to meet. If Thursday evening is better, that might be a possibility.

Friday evening, there seems to be a lot to see and do with the symposium, and it seems either Thursday or Saturday would be better. Folks will be traveling Thursday, and may prefer to rest up or be getting there late.

In addition, I am sure there will be lots of opportunities for creekers to meet and share a little time throughout the symposium.

Bill Blasic
05-08-2011, 7:38 AM
I may be able to make Saturday as I generally do not go to the banquet. You can go to the auction after the banquet is over. But, if I can't make it be sure that you stop at Doug Thompson booth and say "Hello" as most of my time will be spent helping Doug. You might want to think about having a Creeker Exchange at this dinner, you bring a piece and get a ticket. The tickets are drawn two at a time and those two exchange pieces. Just like we do for the WOW Exchange. Any of the Creekers live in or around St Paul? It is really hard setting up a long distance reservation, you might want to contact the AAW and see if anyone there can help out with a restaurant in the area. Also on Google Maps you can get a birds-eye view of the area that shows most of the restaurants. The rotation schedule is on the AAW website and you should start looking and deciding which rotations you want to see. You should reserve at least two hours for the Instant Gallery. Any woodturning tool that you have ever seen plus many that you have never seen will be available on the sales floor so be prepared to open your wallet numerous times. Preplanning for some of your time is important if you have not been to one of these as it is overwhelming as to what is going on every day.
Hope to see you there,
Bill

Bill Blasic
05-08-2011, 7:50 AM
John,
You are not competing with the banquet as they could not seat everyone if everyone wanted to go. Saturday is your best bet as Friday night has the SIN events from 7:30 til 9.
Bill

John Keeton
05-08-2011, 8:40 AM
Thanks, Bill! Good information on the activities - and the economic side of things!!! Someone suggested previously not taking the credit card - might be a good suggestion.:eek::D

Greg Just and Doug Swanson are both local and are assisting with the logistics of this. It does sound like Saturday evening is best, so we will stick with that. We won't be able to accommodate everyone's schedule, but we do hope a few creekers can meet.

Greg Just
05-08-2011, 9:12 AM
There are a number of good restuarants within walking distance of the River Center. As soon as we get a rough idea as to the number attending, Doug and I will find a place.

Linda Persoon
05-08-2011, 9:18 AM
John,

Please add 3 more to the list for a Creeker gathering Saturday evening. Duff and Debbie (his wife - my sister), and I would love to attend.

Linda

charlie knighton
05-08-2011, 9:57 AM
sounds like a good idea, i have to wait for doc appointment on wed the 11th to commit, but.....

jeff schnell
05-08-2011, 12:07 PM
I'll try to attend

Jim Adkins
05-08-2011, 1:41 PM
John....another thought. Might it be possible for the Creekers to ALSO have a breakfast meeting say @ 6:00AM at a resturant in addition to the Saturday nt. get-together? We
might also consider a gift exchange like the WOWies do. Participants bring a smallish turning,
names are put into a 2 hats, names come out in pairs and those two names exchange turnings.
You get stuck with what you get stuck with!!!!! This is just a thought for those that are attending the Sat. nt. Banquet/auction, ect.

Alan Trout
05-08-2011, 1:42 PM
John,

Not telling you how to organize this but I would consider gathering some more opinions on the Thursday evening idea as that also sounds like a viable option. I could possibly do either. but I see Thursday as a better option for those that want the full symposium experience and also to the banquet. Just thought and thanks for taking the initiative.

Alan

Scott Hackler
05-08-2011, 2:31 PM
Alan brings up a valid idea about the "whole experience" and maybe some thoughts about Thursday evening might be in order.

6:00am ????? Yawn.... I wont be getting up that early on a semi-vacation.

Paul Williams
05-08-2011, 3:29 PM
Saturday works for me. I m also local and can help out if needed. My wife is not sure yet.

John Keeton
05-08-2011, 5:32 PM
As is obvious, this could get complicated. There is no reason why there cannot be multiple "gatherings" and whomever can and/or chooses to attend any or all can do so. For this particular "gathering", I think Saturday is the day that has been selected, and works for several folks. Greg, and Doug - and now Paul Williams have been gracious enough to help find a location and assist in that regard.

Should someone else want to put together a Thursday evening event or a breakfast gathering, those might work, as well - and, perhaps some could attend more than one "gathering." We will be driving in Thursday, and I really do not know what time we will arrive, but hopefully in time to get rested a bit, and take in some local sites, and possibly spend some time with other creekers. It might be nice to spend a few minutes on Thursday evening with that group. Having more than one event might permit more opportunities to meet more creekers.

This is my first symposium. Aside from the banquet, I want to see all of it I can so time may be somewhat limited. I really won't know that until I have one of these under my belt.

Perhaps it is best to think about this thread in terms of a Saturday evening event. There is no intent on excluding anyone, but for as many folks as are attending, there will easily be that many different needs/schedules/preferences. I would suggest perhaps another thread for a Thursday event, or a breakfast. That way folks can have a choice and can adjust their schedules accordingly.

Doug Thompson
05-08-2011, 6:35 PM
This looks like a good time for me, the banquet is wonderful but at times it's nice to sit back and relax.

Justin Stephen
05-08-2011, 8:47 PM
I am now leaning towards going to the Symposium and would be interested in either Saturday or Thursday night events. I would not be attending the banquet.

John Keeton
05-08-2011, 8:55 PM
Greg and Doug are monitoring this thread to attempt a head count so they can make reservations for Saturday evening somewhere. If you can, give us a yea or nay. You aren't locked in, but it will at least give us an idea.

Thanks!

Steve Schlumpf
05-08-2011, 8:58 PM
You can count me in!

Scott Hackler
05-08-2011, 9:06 PM
Lock in 2 spots for me!

Bill Blasic
05-09-2011, 6:49 AM
The banquet for me is the least important part of the symposium and since we are driving in and that is a 14 1/2 hour trip Thursday would not be my choice. Saturday would be better and there might be 3 of us but at least 2.
Bill

charlie knighton
05-09-2011, 11:29 AM
bump.......

Justin Stephen
05-09-2011, 6:16 PM
Seriously, if something wants to throw together a Thursday thing in additional to John's Saturday event I would almost certainly be game for both. All we can do on Thursday is register, right?

Even if it is something as casual as flapjacks at the local IHOP it's probably going to be 10x more worthwhile than what I would do on Thursday night anyway.

Jeff Nicol
05-09-2011, 7:00 PM
I paid for my entrance fees last week so I am ready to see everyone. I am going to be staying with my daughter in Inver Grove Heights so I will be around all days and anyone coming through Wisconsin are welcome to stop in my shop on Thursday during the day as I won't go up until that night or early on Friday, and then when it is all done the offer stands for those heading home.

The Saturday thing is great for me and I know that many are going to the banquet, but I am to laid back for that sort of thing, that being said, I wonder if we can all get a cell number to John, Doug or Greg through a PM that way they can get in contact with those who will be around and keep tabs to figure other meeting times out during the symposium. So maybe some could still have a breakfast, a snack meeting at the River Centre or something. I also thought of someway to let others know that you are a fellow Creeker some how.....maybe helium balloons clipped to us!!

This is my first symposium so I know it will be filled with many things and this forum has connected me with a wonderful group of unseen freinds, it will be a challenge to get it all taken in, but I am going to try!

See you there,

Jeff

Brodie Brickey
05-09-2011, 7:12 PM
Add 2. My wife and I will be there.

Alan Trout
05-09-2011, 7:54 PM
I am up for about anything as my wife and little boy are staying home so I am pretty much open to whatever.

Alan

John Beaver
05-10-2011, 11:24 AM
I will be attending the Symposium, however I did register for the Banquet. I would be up for a Thursday evening event if someone coordinates it.

Doug Thompson
05-10-2011, 11:31 AM
We could have the latest information including directions at my booth.

My cell phone number is 440-241-6360

Don Geiger
05-10-2011, 1:47 PM
I will most likely be going to the banquet. However, it would be great to meet some of you Creekers. I'll be splitting my time between the Robust Lathes booth and The Sanding Glove booth. Creekers: Please come by and introduce yourself when you are in the exhibit hall. I'd like to put some faces with the many names I see on the Creek.

Don Geiger

George Guadiane
05-10-2011, 1:50 PM
I'm working on the going part. If I make the trip, I'll certainly make the dinner.
G

Doug W Swanson
05-10-2011, 2:03 PM
I plan on being there for the Saturday night dinner. I've made a few phone calls and it's hard to get reservations so if we can get a fairly firm list of people coming to the Saturday night dinner, that would be great!

Also, depending on the interest: I might be willing to host a small BBQ at my house either Thursday evening or Sunday evening after the show. I'm not sure when everyone is going to be in town but if there is enough interest, I might throw something together. BTW I live about 12 minutes north of St Paul so this would probably only work for people that have access to cars!

Jeff Nicol
05-10-2011, 6:00 PM
It sounds like a lot of folks are going to be there at the symposium and we will all try to get together sometime during the whole thing. My son in law works at a great pizza place but it is in Inver Grove Heights and is a little bit of a drive so not walking distance and they have a big dining area, I could see what is going on and maybe that could be an option.

No matter how it turns out it will be grand fun meeting everyone!

Jeff

John Keeton
05-10-2011, 6:22 PM
Here is where we are with this gathering. Doug Swanson has made reservations at Great Waters Brewing Company http://www.greatwatersbc.com/ (http://www.greatwatersbc.com/) It is a short walk from the RiverCentre and they will seat 25 of us without reserving a separate room at additional cost. Apparently, very few of the local restaurants are making reservations during the symposium because of the anticipated crowds. Doug and Greg have done a great job of searching this out for us. One of us will post the time of the reservation a little later.

Greg is going to put together the list he has of those that have committed in this thread - somewhere around 21 folks. Once we reach 25, we have maxed out this gathering. I will lock the thread at that point just to avoid confusion. Obviously, this does not mean you can't come to the restaurant at the same time - there just won't be anymore tables reserved for this group. You could call in your own reservation or just take a chance on getting seated.

Hopefully, others will take the lead and organize other creeker gatherings - and, Doug can decide what he wants to do on Thursday evening. There should be separate threads on those events so that we can keep everything straight.

I sure look forward to seeing a bunch of you folks at the symposium!! This is going to be an exciting event!

charlie knighton
05-10-2011, 7:45 PM
Doug, pm sent!!!

Justin Stephen
05-10-2011, 7:59 PM
I tried to send a PM, Doug. Not sure if it worked. :)

Joseph M Lary
05-10-2011, 9:32 PM
I will be there on Thursday helping with the video and there is a meeting and setup. Would like to meet with you guys. I have to video 5 to 6 demos over the weekend . not sure what turners that I will be doing yet. may a botton that has Creeker on it .

Doug Thompson
05-10-2011, 11:40 PM
Nothing here... need HELP from someone who knows why they are not getting though.

Doug W Swanson
05-10-2011, 11:49 PM
Nothing here... need HELP from someone who knows why they are not getting though.

I got PM's from them so I think they were sending them to me. Must be too many Doug's here?!

Scott Hackler
05-10-2011, 11:50 PM
I "think" my PM went through, but I am not for sure. Just in case, my wife and I are 100% in for the Saturday dinner.

Justin Stephen
05-11-2011, 12:19 AM
They are going through. For some reason, sent messages are not appearing in the sent items folder.

Doug Thompson
05-11-2011, 12:58 AM
OUPS !!! wrong Doug

John Keeton
05-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Greg has tallied the list of creekers attending the Saturday evening gathering, and the list is set out below. There are 24 attendees at present - our max is 25. We want to make sure we have a correct list before saying we have one more slot available. However, understanding that, if you want added to the list, now would be the time to post. Assuming the existing list is correct, then we will add the first creeker posting.

Please PM Greg immediately of any corrections, deletions, or additions. When we have 25 folks I will lock the thread to prevent any more posts.

Thanks!!

Name of attendees and number in party -

John Keeton 1
Doug Swanson 1
Greg Just 1
Scott Hacker 2
Alan Trout 1
Dan Henry 2
Bill Blasic 3
Steve Schlumpf 1
Charlie Knighton 1
Linda Person 3
Jeff Schnell 1
Paul Williams 1
Doug Thompson 1
Justin Stephen 1
Jeff Nicol 1
Brodie Brickey 2
Joseph Lary 1
Total 24

Baxter Smith
05-12-2011, 5:15 PM
My last hurdle was cleared today .....with my jury duty postponed until October.... so if there is still space available, I will be looking for a place to eat Saturday night.:)

John Keeton
05-12-2011, 10:59 PM
Hats off to Doug Swanson and Greg Just!!! Doug called the restaurant, and they can accomodate 35 folks. Right now, we have 27 names per Greg's list.

So....... this is the FINAL CALL for the Saturday evening creeker gathering!! When we reach 35, we are done. Again, if you do not get in on the group, you are still welcome to come. However, you may not get seated in the group, or get a table at all.

Apparently, we are not the only large event that weekend. The NHL Draft is being held at Xcel Energy Center (which is attached to the River Centre) on Saturday June 25th. The restaurant manager told Doug there should be 15,000 people just for that.

This is first come, first serve. The next 8 folks THAT POST IN THIS THREAD will be added to the list. That means if you are bringing a spouse/guest then you are posting for two slots. You must state that in your post - otherwise, you will be counted as one.

Please honor this. A lot of effort has gone into making this happen, and it simply would not be fair to show up unannounced and cause someone on the list to not be seated.

Justin Stephen
05-12-2011, 11:06 PM
Apparently, we are not the only large event that weekend. The NHL Draft is being held at Xcel Energy Center (which is attached to the River Centre) on Saturday June 25th. The restaurant manager told Doug there should be 15,000 people just for that.

That would explain why I had to book a hotel room so far away.

John Keeton
05-13-2011, 6:04 AM
The current list is posted below. Please POST any corrections, additions or deletions.

Greg did a little more checking and the NHL Draft actually starts Friday night @ 6pm and then again on Saturday @ 10am. Be warned - parking will be an issue!!! Apparently, even on a good day, parking is at a premium in the River Centre area.

I will post the exact time of the reservation later when I get that information from Doug.

John Keeton 1
Doug Swanson 1
Greg Just 1
Scott Hacker 2
Alan Trout 1
Dan Henry 2
Bill Blasic 3
Steve Schlumpf 1
Charlie Knighton 1
Linda Person 3
Jeff Schnell 1
Paul Williams 1
Doug Thompson 1
Justin Stephen 1
Jeff Nicol 1
Brodie Brickey 2
Joseph Lary 1
Ed Sandle 2
Baxter Smith 1

Total 27

Bob Bergstrom
05-13-2011, 7:50 PM
Joe
I'll be doing video also. They sent me a email that we get a ticket to the banquet so I'm going to go. See you on Thursday night.

Joseph M Lary
05-14-2011, 9:40 PM
I will not be able to meet with you guys on Saturday night , Ill be at the banguet.

John Keeton
05-15-2011, 6:42 AM
Thanks, Joseph, for letting us know. The revised list is below. We still have room for others, so let us know if you are interested. And, likewise, let us know if you are on the list, but will not be attending. Thanks.

John Keeton 1
Doug Swanson 1
Greg Just 1
Scott Hacker 2
Alan Trout 1
Dan Henry 2
Bill Blasic 3
Steve Schlumpf 1
Charlie Knighton 1
Linda Pierson 3
Jeff Schnell 1
Paul Williams 1
Doug Thompson 1
Justin Stephen 1
Jeff Nicol 1
Brodie Brickey 2
Ed Sandle 2
Baxter Smith 1

Total 26

Doug W Swanson
05-17-2011, 5:10 PM
Hey all,

I was just looking over the Symposium schedule and it looks like the last demos get over at 5:30. I just talked with Great Waters and changed our reservation from 5:30 to 6:00pm. They will be expecting people to arrive at 5:45 so hopefully this will work better for those that are trying to get the most out of the Symposium (like me!).

Now people shouldn't have to rush to get to the restaurant.

Hope that it's not a problem!

Greg Just
05-17-2011, 9:45 PM
Works for me. Thanks for taking care of the reservation.

Hey all,

I was just looking over the Symposium schedule and it looks like the last demos get over at 5:30. I just talked with Great Waters and changed our reservation from 5:30 to 6:00pm. They will be expecting people to arrive at 5:45 so hopefully this will work better for those that are trying to get the most out of the Symposium (like me!).

Now people shouldn't have to rush to get to the restaurant.

Hope that it's not a problem!

John Keeton
05-17-2011, 10:33 PM
Greg and Doug - thanks to both of you for making this happen!!

Scott Hackler
05-17-2011, 11:01 PM
Yes yes. Thanks a bunch. This is going to be a great time and I can't wait.

Baxter Smith
05-18-2011, 10:04 AM
Thanks Doug and Greg for your efforts. I am actually looking forward to this as much as any other single thing at the symposium!

charlie knighton
05-18-2011, 11:28 AM
yes, Baxter, it is very high on the list, along with instant gallery and rotation on croth pieces, looking forward to meeting you

David Gilbert
05-18-2011, 9:00 PM
I like the idea of a Thursday evening dinner, even if its only a few of us. The Saturday Creeker Dinner will be a pretty large affairs so a smaller one might be nice.

Since this is my first symposium, I signed up for the banquet and don't think that I can get my money back. I've missed meeting up with some of you Creekers at other events and hope we can arrange something.

Cheers,
David

Scott Hackler
05-18-2011, 9:11 PM
A Thursday evening meet is probably out for me. We are driving up on Thursday and after a 12-13 hour road trip..... I will likely want to chill in the hotel room after we arrive and get ready for a VERY exciting Friday.

John Keeton
05-18-2011, 9:30 PM
David, if you want to solicit interest in a Thursday night gathering, I would suggest a new thread. I don't think folks will be responsive to your post in this thread as it has fulfilled its objective. Some have already mentioned the possibility of Thursday, so you may get some interest.

Jeff Fagen
05-18-2011, 11:22 PM
I'm in for Sat.

John Keeton
05-20-2011, 7:10 AM
Just as an update - we now have 28 creekers on the list, including Jeff Fagen and Quinn McCarthy. We have room for 35 total, and will need to cut this off a week prior to the event.

So, heads up!! If you are thinking of joining us, please post in this thread and PM Greg Just - he is the "keeper of the list!" Doug Swanson is in charge of the reservation, and he will need a good head count for the restaurant one week prior to the event.

Thanks!!

Reed Gray
05-20-2011, 9:42 PM
I am getting into the tail end of this, but if there is still room, I will be there. I couldn't tell for sure if it was still open or not. Thursday is out for me as I get in at around 11:30 pm.

robo hippy

Steve Schlumpf
05-20-2011, 9:53 PM
Cool!!! Looking forward to seeing everyone there!

Doug Thompson
05-20-2011, 11:23 PM
I am getting into the tail end of this, but if there is still room, I will be there. I couldn't tell for sure if it was still open or not. Thursday is out for me as I get in at around 11:30 pm.

robo hippy

Cool, the list is getting longer... save me a seat.

Bill Blasic
05-21-2011, 6:30 AM
Reed,
That is great, it will be nice to see you someplace other than my TV screen. See you there.
Bill

John Keeton
06-14-2011, 9:07 AM
Folks, at present, we have the following down for the Saturday night gathering of creekers:

John Keeton 2
Doug Swanson 1
Greg Just 1
Scott Hacker 2
Alan Trout 1
Dan Henry 1
Bill Blasic 3
Steve Schlumpf 1
Charlie Knighton 1
Linda Person 3
Jeff Schnell 1
Paul Williams 1
Doug Thompson 1
Justin Stephen 1
Jeff Nicol 1
Brodie Brickey 2
Joseph Lary 0
Ed Sandle 2
Baxter Smith 1
Jeff Fagen1
Quinn McCarthy1
Reed Gray1
Total29

The cutoff for additions to the list is this Friday, June 17. We have room for 6 more, so if you are interested, please post here in this thread, and PM me, Doug W Swanson, or Greg Just.

THANKS!! And, I look forward to seeing a bunch of creekers there!

Mike Svoma
06-15-2011, 2:05 PM
I won't be making it to the symposium but I would love to come over for the Creeker get together on Saturday night. Please add me to the list.

John Keeton
06-16-2011, 6:30 AM
Mike, we have you on the list! 30 creekers(inlcuding spouses, etc.) - all in one place at the same time!!! Now, that has to be a record for a creeker gathering!

charlie knighton
06-16-2011, 8:23 AM
:):):) :):):) :):):)

Steve Schlumpf
06-16-2011, 8:10 PM
John - we need to add one more to the adventure! Colleen decided this evening that she would like to attend this event! So that should take us up to 31 folks... anyone else?

John Keeton
06-17-2011, 8:03 AM
Just to keep this at the top, our reservation is at Great Waters Brewing Company http://www.greatwatersbc.com/ (http://www.greatwatersbc.com/) for 6:00pm. They will be expecting people to arrive at 5:45pm.

This is going to be a great time!! We still have room for four more!

Mike Svoma
06-20-2011, 11:51 AM
Sorry. Have to back out of the Creeker Meeting. My brother asked me to help him with packing up and moving this weekend. Tell all of the guys hello for me.

Mike

John Keeton
06-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Mike, you will be missed!

Mike Svoma
06-20-2011, 1:18 PM
I was really looking forward to meeting everyone......but........family comes first. Maybe next time around. Have fun.

Jeff Nicol
06-21-2011, 12:22 AM
I will most likely head up Thursday evening to get registered so I don't have to worry about that Friday morning, so I will be around somepalce for the duration. Can't wait to shake all your hands!

3 days and a wake up,

Jeff

John Keeton
06-21-2011, 6:40 AM
We have secured the reservation with 30 folks attending, so I am closing the thread. See ya' there!!