PDA

View Full Version : Finish failed on Mahongany chairs 1960's vintage

whit richardson
05-07-2011, 6:15 PM
I'm restoring/cleaning a mahongany diining room set that was built and finished in the 1960's. The chairs appear to have had a dark brownish/slight reddish finish that with the MS, DNA, Lacquer thinner test appear to be Lacquer.

the problem is whiile washing (warm water and Murhpy's) down the backs. splats, legs it seems the finish "comes" off a bit here and there then the reddish mahogany pops out. On other places in the chair I can wash it the same and the finish "stays"?

It seems like maybe the dirt. grime and Murhpys is taking part of the finish with it ?Anyone experiece this or now what the predominat finish would of been used by custom furniture makes in the 1960's?

I suppose there a limits to what a finish can take over 40 yrs of abuse.

Tony Bilello
05-07-2011, 7:15 PM
........the problem is whiile washing (warm water and Murhpy's) down the backs. splats, legs it seems the finish "comes" ....What do you mean by comes off? Is it flaking off or are you removing it like in disolving it?
Anyone experiece this or now what the predominat finish would of been used by custom furniture makes in the 1960's? ...An amateur would most likely have used Polyurethane. But.....you said it passed the lacquer test. If it were professionallly built it most likely had a lacquer finish.

Need a better desciption of the actual 'coming off'. Murphy's oil soap in itself would not remove a finish.

Scott Holmes
05-07-2011, 9:15 PM
Sounds as if they used nitrocellulose lacquer and it is failing/failed in some areas.

My guess is that they used a toner, tinted NC lacquer, to get a uniform color. The color is in the finish not in the wood.

This will not be a slap a stain on it and top coat it project. This is not a good project to learn how to apply toners either.

whit richardson
05-08-2011, 2:16 PM
I'll post pics later today. It was custom made by a Philadelphia furniture maker in the 1960's. No company name sticker and most of the foks who knew are dead or now can't remember me or the company. DNA does not remove the finish, but lacquer thinner seems to. I tested under the stretchers. It's not flaking is just wearing.

whit richardson
05-08-2011, 11:10 PM
Pics of finish and some samples of testing with lacquer and DNA. First three show how the finish has worn away and worn more with the cleaning. The bottom three from left to right 1) sample of testing lacquer thinner on left and DNA on right (hard to tell but DNA is darker not removing finish. 2) closeup of DNA test 3) closeup of Lacquer thinner tests.

any thoughts?

whit richardson
05-11-2011, 4:18 PM
Again thanks for the replies and advice. On ward...