PDA

View Full Version : A backward bowl (for me)

Deane Allinson
05-07-2011, 4:17 PM
I usually start turning by first considering the form. I had another piece of Persimmon and wanted the black heartwood to show in the bottom of the bowl. I turned the inside first until I got what I was looking for (it was pretty shallow) and then turned the outside to work with the inside. I ended up with a large foot. 6" dia. x 2" tall. first coat of tung oil.
Deane

Dennis Ford
05-07-2011, 7:38 PM
The bowl has a nice form and the wood looks great. Personally, I don't care for the foot and would reverse the bowl and cut most of it off.

Thomas Canfield
05-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Deane,

You are doing some nice work now that you have found some different wood. I agree with Dennis about not caring for the foot in that shape. It could be reversed usisng a jamb chuck (friction drive against the drive) and live center to reshape the foot or turn it off, or down to a nub to be removed. I would like the foot to be fairly thin and hollow to reduce the weight and give a lighter feel to the bowl to match the nice thickness in the upper bowl section.

David E Keller
05-07-2011, 11:19 PM
It's pretty wood, Deane. I'm just learning to accept feet on turned pieces, so this is a bit of a stretch for me... If you eliminate the foot, wouldn't you be able to see the heartwood on the bottom as well? I really like the variety of forms you're doing, and you've obviously got an eye for good curves.