PDA

View Full Version : Helping a neighbor get started in turning

Roger Chandler
05-07-2011, 3:15 PM
I have a retired neighbor who went with me this morning to our club meeting - his first. He purchased some years ago at an auction a sears monotube lathe and it has been sitting in his garage, never touched since he bought it.

I looked at it this afternoon, and it appears it has a 3/4 x 16 tpi spindle, and it has a dead center in the tail stock with a point. It is missing the knockout rod, but that is not a problem.

He wants to start using this, and I told him that he needed to clean it up, lubricate it very well, put a new belt on it, and let me know when he gets it done.

In the mean time, I am going to give him a few lessons on my lathe, and sharpen the gouges and skews he has........they are in great shape and appear to be carbon steel to me.

My questions.......is the spindle size I stated correct? Secondly, can a spindle adapter be had that would allow a scroll chuck to be mounted? Thirdly, the pulleys are step pulleys with 3 speeds........does anyone know what these rpms are for the 3 settings? Fourthly, is there a live center available for the tailstock....appears to be morse taper no. 1?

please let me know.........thanks!!!

Brian Libby
05-07-2011, 3:33 PM
Yes, you are correct- 3/4 X 16 with #1 MT (both head and tail stock) the toolrest post is 7/8 inch dia.
#1 MT is common-check crafts supplies USA, Packard, Hartville Tool, and others.

Dick Wilson
05-07-2011, 4:25 PM
Roger, You might check with Sears online. E-mail to Tech support and they most likely can tell you what speeds the lathe is capable of. Dick

Steve Schlumpf
05-07-2011, 9:48 PM
I started out with a Craftsman mono-tube lathe. When I wanted a chuck - I picked a Oneway Talon - with the 3/4" - 16 tpi adapter. Worked great! Highly recommend getting a live center for the tailstock! Like Brian mentioned - morse taper #1 for both headstock and tailstock.

Bill Blasic
05-08-2011, 7:55 AM
A Nova G3 with 3/4" X 16 TPI would also be a good chuck for this lathe.
Bill

Keith E Byrd
05-08-2011, 7:58 AM
All these parts are available at Woodcraft - in fact I have them on my old broken lathe if you want them.

Scott Kuykendall
05-08-2011, 9:05 AM
If you would like a copy of the owners manual for the mono tube lathe send me e-mail and I can send the manual back to you. I don't see a way to post a file on here.
Scott
Kuykendall63@gmail.com

Roger Chandler
05-08-2011, 10:40 PM
All these parts are available at Woodcraft - in fact I have them on my old broken lathe if you want them.

Keith........since this is my neighbor, I will talk with him and see if he would like to do something with the offer you have made....thank you so much, and I will try to get back to you with a PM after I can speak to him!

Keith E Byrd
05-09-2011, 3:32 PM
Keith........since this is my neighbor, I will talk with him and see if he would like to do something with the offer you have made....thank you so much, and I will try to get back to you with a PM after I can speak to him!

Roger sent you a PM