PDA

View Full Version : Burl bowl

Scott Hackler
05-07-2011, 2:40 PM
Here is another piece done out of a chared piece of burl. I left it thick and heavy, which is a different look for me. The figure on the outside of the bowl shows a hue of burnt wood. Unknown wood, but I suspect mulberry burl. It is very yellow and it was very dry (been on fire!). Finished in Blo, lacquer and paste wax.

Comments and critiques are always welcome.

Thanks for looking.

John Keeton
05-07-2011, 2:56 PM
Scott, I like this one - a lot!! Great form, really fitting to the wood. I am amazed this burl didn't split wide open from the heat.

Roger Chandler
05-07-2011, 3:17 PM
Do you think the heavy thickness Scott left when turning was the reason for not splitting? Nice Scott!

Don Alexander
05-07-2011, 3:19 PM
looks good and proves that thin ain't all its cracked up to be (pun/s intended) :D

Cathy Schaewe
05-07-2011, 6:04 PM
I like this a great deal as well - and I think the thickness really complements the wood and scorching.

David E Keller
05-07-2011, 6:20 PM
Very cool! I like the chunky look on this piece and the 'natural pyrography'. For some reason, I'd like to see the rim slant the other direction, but it's nice as is too.

Bernie Weishapl
05-07-2011, 6:50 PM
Really a nice bowl Scott. I do like the thicknes and rim.

Scott Hackler
05-07-2011, 7:15 PM
Thanks for the comments. This burl was so dry. I can't believe the heat from the fire didnt just crack the tar out of it, either. Good for me it didn't. Typically I would orient the bark side to the top of the bowl but the natural curvature of the burl lended itself to being the bottom. I just turned off most of the burnt portion and stopped before I lost the cool pyro'd figure.

Sure makes one think about taking a torch to a burl and doing this on purpose!

Jim Burr
05-07-2011, 7:30 PM
No dye or other treatment?? Wow!! You picked a great form for the wood Scott, no...it's not your usual style...you really had some forethought with this one!

jwjerry w kowalski
05-07-2011, 8:04 PM
Wow, Scott I turned a cherry bowl about 3yrs. ago that's almost identical to yours in form. Needless to say I like your style, if I get a chance tommorrow, I'll post a picture of it, it's kind of eerie, it's so similar.

Jim Adkins
05-07-2011, 9:20 PM
Very Nice Scott, Mother nature has a way of "adding to" sometimes.
You did a very fine job of i,proving on that. Nice rim treatment.

Dan Forman
05-08-2011, 3:40 AM
This bowl has a lot of interest. Like the form, not everything needs to be dainty.

Dan

Michelle Rich
05-08-2011, 4:34 AM
classy bowl & luv the little foot..

Dick Strauss
05-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Scott,
Needless to say, it has beautiful color and figure. You did this piece proud!

It might be osange orange or it could have been struck by lightning and had its colors changed slightly (though I think you are right with mulberry).

I've got a crotch piece of maple that was struck by lightning and healed over enclosing the patch of burnt wood. I split it right down through the burnt section to find a little charred wood surrounded by purple and red hues.

dan carter
05-08-2011, 10:23 AM
You have a winner with this one. Nice profile and edge. The coloration and grain pattern is very nice.

Baxter Smith
05-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Great bowl! Some wood you just kind of hate to turn away!