PDA

View Full Version : Sycamore center piece

Scott Hackler
05-07-2011, 2:29 PM
Here is a larger bowl that was turned after being inspired by a similar bowl at our local club meeting. Very substantial and heavy. The sycamore was bone dry.

12 1/2" wide x 2 1/2" tall. Decorated with me Nove Ornamental Turner. Finished with Blo and lacquer and buffed with paste wax.

Comments and critiques are always welcome.

Thanks for looking.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Tim Thiebaut
05-07-2011, 2:44 PM
Very nice, I love the designs on here Scott, I am so jealous of your Nova!

John Keeton
05-07-2011, 2:53 PM
Having fun with the NOT, looks like! Nice work, and it really adds interest to the bowl. I have turned a couple of sycamore pieces, and while it can be rather bland (without spalting or ambrosia), it turns great.

jwjerry w kowalski
05-07-2011, 8:16 PM
The ornamental turning is really cool to look at, it adds a lot interest to the bowl. When I first saw the pic, I was wondering how you made the scribing so symetrical, then I read the post and found out, I think that would be something I'll add to my wish list.

Bob Bergstrom
05-07-2011, 8:19 PM
Great treatment on the rim. Really kicks up the interest level of an otherwise simple piece of Sycamore. Beautiful work Scott

Steve Schlumpf
05-07-2011, 8:53 PM
Good looking bowl Scott! I do like the design! Have you tried Renaissance or Conservators wax? It is a microcrystalline wax and holds up better than a regular paste wax - also doesn't show finger prints, water spots, etc.

Dan Forman
05-08-2011, 3:38 AM
I'm liking these really thick bowls that have been posted lately, the ornamental aspect works well with the sycamore.

Dan

Frank Drew
05-08-2011, 11:04 AM
I have turned a couple of sycamore pieces, and ... it turns great.

And the trees can be so big and there's not too much competition from sawmills so large diameter log sections are often easy to find.

Scott Hackler
05-08-2011, 11:48 AM
I love turning sycamore. The graining might be a little plain but it is very unique. I have a mess of it that I need to get turned into something.

robert raess
05-08-2011, 12:52 PM
You said it was dry,was there much cracking that you had to cut away?It is a nice wood for carving as well.I have a pc. right now that i carved on a little and steam/boiled a walnut belt to go around it.i'll post it if i'm happy with it !Good job..Rob

Scott Hackler
05-08-2011, 1:38 PM
Not too much. There are two little cracks in the rim....right now. But it was so dry, I figured it was done cracking and so I didn't turn them completely out so I could save the size.

Baxter Smith
05-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Nice job Scott. I can see endless possibilities!

Bernie Weishapl
05-08-2011, 10:55 PM
Really nice Scott. I do like the rim. Lots of options it looks like to me.