PDA

View Full Version : How do you apply tung oil?

Robert Mayer
02-04-2005, 3:49 PM
Do you typically apply it pure or mix it with a thinner?

Dennis Peacock
02-04-2005, 4:12 PM
Robert,

Tung Oil is normally applied in "thin" coats. I use it thinned with 25% Mineral Spirits, brush it on, let sit for short bit and then wipe off the excess. Just remember, tung oil takes days to dry properly....so don't get in a hurry. ;)

The other way I use it is to apply some to a clean, soft rag and rub the oil into the wood. Works good! :D

Richard Wolf
02-04-2005, 8:40 PM
If you are using pure tung oil you should add some thinner (mineral spirits). If you are buying tung oil finishes off the shelf like, Forbies or Minwax it is already thinned and further reducing is not needed and will only require more coats to gain a good finish. Several coats (4 to 5) are required, with the last two coats applied and wet sanded with 220 paper before the tung oil dries. A better finish than tung oil is a Sam Maloof type finish which is a mixture of Boiled linseed oil, varnish, and mineral spirits.

Richard

Wolf Kiessling
02-05-2005, 11:25 AM
When I apply pure tung oil to a project, I apply the first coat as a 50/50 mix of tung oil and mineral spirits. The second coat is a mix of 75% oil and 25% mineral spirits. The mineral spirits simply help the tung oil penetrate into the wood. The next coat/coats (depends on the project) is applied as pure tung oil. As mentioned previously, there is a long drying time involved

Mark Singer
02-05-2005, 11:48 AM
I only use the polymerized and not pure tung oil....I don't have the patience. I put it on with a rag....wet and dry sand the first coat (usually) and then add coats allowing a day or more between them. each is rubbed out with paper towels. The final coat is usually a wax and rubbed out. Most waxes are best applied with 0000 steel wool.