PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have one of these PC compressors?

Hal Flynt
04-16-2003, 12:33 PM
I have a 20 year old compressor that has a tank leak and a replacement tank is $185, so I think I'll get one of these Stack Tank Porter Cables, but can't decide which one:

Model CPF20300S 135PSI 4 Gal OIL FREE
7.7 scfm @40PSI & 5.3 @ 90

or

Model CPLDC2540S 150PSI 4.3 Gal Oil Lube
5.4 scfm @40 PSI & 4.0 @ 90

I'm leaning towards the first one primarily for th SCFM and price of $249 free shipping Amazon as opposed to $299 for # 2.

I have 0 experience with OIL FREE designs and that is my only concern. Both carry a 50% duty cycle.

Thanks, Hal

Eric Apple - Central IN
04-16-2003, 1:50 PM
Hal,

Most of the oil-less designs are really noisy, and they don't last as long as the lubed compressors. However, you get more cfm for the $$$. It's a trade off. I have a PC oil-less which likely has the same pump setup you're looking at. I think it's rated 6HP peak 2 hp running at 17 amps. So it's more like 1 1/2 hp. But man this thing is loud (about equal to an electric jack hammer) ! I built a carpet cover box to surround it and that really helped, and I don't nead hearing protection when it runs. I got a better deal at Lowes then Amazon offered. You might want to check lowes.com before you order from amazon.

Dennis McDonaugh
04-16-2003, 2:37 PM
I've got the 4 gallon, oil-less, portable-cable compressor and it is loud. If you're closer than 20' or so you'll need hearing protection when its running, but since I use mine for driving nails and staples, I wear protection anyway. The oil-less compressors will wear out quicker--I think I've seen the lifespan of an oil-less compressor stated at less than 1000 hours of use. I assume that's running use and since it only runs a few minutes at a time I think that translates into a lot of years in the home workshop.

Hal Flynt
04-16-2003, 4:28 PM
I suspected as much that the oil less ones had less life time.

Every once in a while I like to lay down some lacquer on my GTO and need some cfm, but I also have a 10 gallon portable tank that I would connect and build up the pressure in both before spraying and could empty a quart cup before needing to let it build up again. BUT noise is a problem for an old fighter pilot that can’t hear any more and don’t want to hear less.

From what I’m hearing, the oil lubed one may fit the bill of being smaller, quieter and longer lasting.

Now I see a DeWalt D55153 2 ¾ HP (15AMP) 4.5 CFM @100PSI Looks like an EMGLO. Oh my too many choices.

Thanks