PDA

View Full Version : Let's see those plywood carts!

Rich Engelhardt
05-07-2011, 6:12 AM
My "swing out" storage rack has to go.
Not that it didn't work,,,it's just that my needs have changed & I need the wall space it's taking up.

I'm going to give a roll around plywood rack a shot.

All I need is something basic on wheels - but - I'm open for any add ons that might make sense.

Dan Rude
05-07-2011, 11:43 AM
Wood just had one in the July issue which I received yesterday. I have one similar and suggest following the advice of the article. Making one bin 50" across. I discovered I could not store my MDF wide cutoffs, in the one I made which is 48". Don't go cheap or small on the castors and I made mine all swivel. I'll try and post a picture later of mine later.

Rich Engelhardt
05-07-2011, 2:55 PM
Dan,
That's the article that got me thinking about a roll around sheet goods cart.

Jeff Bratt
05-07-2011, 9:05 PM
This one is for plywood and other lumber also. It looks like ShopNotes only has fairly recent back issues, but there is a cutting diagram available online - http://www.shopnotes.com/files/issues/055/roll-around-store-all.pdf. Ask me if you want more details...

Dan Rude
05-08-2011, 1:12 AM
I finally went and took those pictures. Here is my cart.

cecil rolfe
05-08-2011, 2:17 AM
Wood Magazine also had one awhile back. I just built this one only I made it 6 ft long. It still handles full sheets fine. I have 8 3/4 sheets on it now.
http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-plans/shop-organization/roll-around-plywood-sheet-cart/ (http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-plans/shop-organization/roll-around-plywood-sheet-cart/)

Cecil

Jeremy Brant
05-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Has anyone built one with a vertical orientation? I have headroom in my shop (10' ceiling), but almost no usable floor space remaining. I'd like to make one that holds the sheets vertically, but I'm concerned about how large the footprint might have to be to avoid tipping.

Brian Kincaid
05-09-2011, 3:44 PM
I utilized a home-made sheet/wood cart at one point but between it being 'tippy' and having to move it constantly to get it out of the way (again) I unscrewed it and salvaged the components. Maybe a better design would work but I don't keep full sheets around for very long. Don't have the space.

-Brian

Erik Christensen
05-09-2011, 4:08 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?62477-Lumber-Cart-Complete&highlight=

been using it for 4 years now - it is mobile but hasn't moved much in the last year or so

Tom Cornish
05-09-2011, 8:20 PM
Here's my work in progress. I wanted to minimize floor space so I made it vertical orientation, but I also had a design constraint of an 8' 6" garage door I wanted it to go through. I didn't think I'd get the strength I needed in the space I could spare, so I used 1" square steel tubing. This will be covered with a 1/4" plywood skin.

Let me know if you are interested in the Sketchup model.

Jeff Monson
05-09-2011, 11:28 PM
I built one very similar to Erik's, except mine is a vertical design. It works well, one side is for plywood (maybe 5 full sheets), the other side is sectioned into bins for cutoffs, the hole in the center is also sectioned off into 3 horizontal bins, I keep moldings in these. If anyone wants photo's I can take a couple.

Chris Ainsley
05-10-2011, 1:42 AM
this is the one I built. has plywood storage on the back

Greg Hines, MD
05-10-2011, 7:26 PM

Mine is 8' long, and about 3' wide, and 6' tall, with 8 casters under it, and with a channel down the middle for sheet goods, and one side devoted to racks for hardwoods and long pieces. The opposite side is more free form, with shelves for odds and ends, and an area for smaller sheet goods. The far end has racks for two pairs of sawhorses. These are some dated photos, as I do not keep my clamps up front any more since I built a rolling clamp rack, but I think you can get the idea. If I had to do it over, I would put bigger casters on it, as these are like 2" diameter, and I would put 3-4" casters if I had to do it over, though they do have metal wheels as this thing is heavy.

Doc

Brent Smith
05-10-2011, 9:36 PM
Some good looking carts here, but I chose to go store bought http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/New-Material-Cart-w-Outriggers/H7544 . As solid as you could want and holds a 18 sheets of 3/4 with no problem. The out rigged casters give it great stability.

Rich Engelhardt
05-12-2011, 6:34 AM
Lots of good ideas - thanks!

It would be nice to be able to go vertical, but, the ceiling is too low.

I did manage to get a screaming deal from Great Lake Casters on some 5" swivel ones - $5.00 ea!
Enter a promo code of CM and they knock of 25% - which pretty much pays the shipping.

John Henry Newman
05-12-2011, 11:32 AM
I like the wood magazine design a lot. I think that I'm gonna build one...thanks for posting!

Lloyd Kerry
05-12-2011, 9:21 PM
Nice cart, Erik... almost too nice to cover it with plywood!

Rich Engelhardt
05-13-2011, 5:37 AM
John,

I like the wood magazine design a lot. I think that I'm gonna build one...thanks for posting!

Which one? The old (linked above) or the new (below)?

woodmagazine.com/cutoffstation

Click on the mobile Sheet-goods Rack link to open a .pdf.

I like the "newer" one from the July issue a little better.

Adrian Anguiano
05-17-2011, 4:58 PM

Here's the one I built off a plan. Works great. and keeps wood organized and flat. Holds Cut Offs, Plywood Sheets, and 8ft Lumber.

I have it slid in the corner against the wall, where my motorcycle was (now at dads for more workshop room). The only downside is it takes up a little bit of space in my 2 man garage, and to get 8ft sheets of plywood or lumber you need to have alot of room on one end, or you will need to pull the cart a little from the wall so the angle the wood comes out will be out the front of the garage door. That frustrates me a little when my garage has had the heater or cooler on and opening the garage door ruins the temperature in my shop.

I still love it though. If I were to do it again I think id make a wall rack for the 8ft lumber, those same bins for cut offs except against the wall on the floor, and have a rotating carrier hinged to the wall for plywood sheets so its against the wall for space, but can rotate out for easy removal and entry.

Rich Engelhardt
05-29-2011, 6:35 AM
Update...

Well, I went with the July 2011 Wood magazine version.
Here it is just about done.

Carl Beckett
05-29-2011, 9:09 AM
Something to consider, would be to integrate a cutoff guide for breaking down the sheets. I have a design tucked around here somewhere I will try to find, but the general idea is to have a circ saw guide incorporated. I havent built it yet, but its been hovering on my project 'to get to' list for a while.

Maybe do a little search for designs specific to breaking down sheet goods, and incorporate storage into one of those.

Rich Engelhardt
05-29-2011, 11:00 AM
Carl,
The plans actually have that incorporated into them.
I chose not to add it to my cart though. The table the cart is sitting on is my sheet break down table that I use with my track saw.