PDA

View Full Version : Look what the mail lady brought me today........

Jack Gaskins
05-06-2011, 10:35 PM
DT 5/8 V bowl gouge and 16 inch handle. Already used it on 3 rough outs 2 minutes after I had it out of the box. I'm not one to drop $$$ on something like this but I am glad I did. The handle is definately worth the money and feels great in my hands. Guess I will have to hide some money from the old lady and save up for a 12" handle. Hats off to Doug for a great handle and gouge. I'm a :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D customer.

David E Keller
05-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Congrats, Jack. After seeing all of you folks on here with custom Thompson handles, I'm thinking I may have to give them a try when I place my next order with Doug.

Jeff Nicol
05-06-2011, 10:56 PM
Jack, Very nice looking tool, I have a couple of Dougs gouges and made my own handles, but I may have to get one of those! Very nice again and enjoy using it!

Jeff

Doug Thompson
05-06-2011, 11:53 PM
My wife Pat has more fun engraving these handles, REFUELER 1 was one of them. You can shorten the tool in the handle or reverse it to travel.

John Fabre
05-07-2011, 3:30 AM
Nice, I sure enjoy my DT roughing gouge and DT lathe master handle, can't wait to buy more. Good work DT and Mrs DT.

John Keeton
05-07-2011, 6:24 AM
Congrats, Jack!! I don't have a DT handle, but I do have the 5/8" HOG, and love it!

John Hart
05-07-2011, 6:42 AM
Congratulations Jack! Last fall, I had the opportunity to visit Doug and see his operation. The guy is dedicated to the perfection of his tools, both in function and appearance. I was impressed. I've enjoyed the two gouges that went home with me that day and the handle design is just great!!!

Jack Gaskins
05-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Congrats, Jack. After seeing all of you folks on here with custom Thompson handles, I'm thinking I may have to give them a try when I place my next order with Doug.

David, the difference between holding one of Dougs handles and the one I made for my 1/2" gouge is like night and day. The Aluminum handle with the buck shot in it is perfect and the diameter fits my grip perfectly as well. I was scepticle about paying $$ for a handle but now that I have used it I am deffinately going to buy a couple more!

Michael Mills
05-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Congratulations Jack. Looks really great and I am sure you will enjoy it.

I’m gotta try one of those. But yikes! Three (3) roughouts is two (2) minutes. I don’t know if I can justify it, I would be out of wood in a couple of hours. :D

Steve Schlumpf
05-07-2011, 9:06 PM
Jack - congrats on your new gouge! My DT 5/8" V is my go-to tool for just about everything! You'll love it!

Joe Vincent 63
05-08-2011, 7:41 AM
Doug,

Do you make steel with the flute extending all the way? I've seen a few folks using this type of steel to put different end grinds on the same steel, then reverse it when they need to (demo yesterday at our WT club)? Will your handles allow a full fluted steel to be reversed and used both ways?

Thanks!

Joe

Bernie Weishapl
05-08-2011, 9:54 AM
Jack that is a nice looking handle. I love my Thompson tools although I made my own handles. Will have to order one and give it a go.

gary Zimmel
05-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Can't beat when we receive presents in he mail....
I usually have my delivered to my office. That way the boss doesn't see what people are sending me.;)
Congrats on the new toy Jack.

Harry Robinette
05-08-2011, 9:34 PM
Anyone who owns a DT tool should get at lest one handle, I have nerve damage in my thumbs and I can only hold a round handle for maybe 20 to 30 minutes.Then I have to take a break for 1/2 hour or so,now with DT handles I turn for an hour or more and take a 10 minute break. DT 's handles are shaped so they fit your hand whether it's big or small and the balance is great.As always JMHO.