PDA

View Full Version : Apple Ipad engraving

greg lindsey
05-06-2011, 7:17 PM
Serched the forums but didnt come up with an answer.

Has anyone laser engraved an Ipad. I have done several Ipods and Ihones but not an Ipad yet.

Andrew Mammoliti
05-06-2011, 9:10 PM
On epilog website site they have stuff about that Im sure! I had seen a contest for best lasering on them.

Shawn Conklin
05-07-2011, 10:17 AM
I am a little unsure how much flexibility there is with link posting when it answers a question so ... heres a try.

wwwdotbrainstormkingstondotcom/index.php/component/content/article/4-tech-engraving/24-the-first-ipad
On a 40w Helix I used
Settings: Power 100% Speed 12% Standard Dithering 600DPI

We have done about 15 since the first all pretty much the same. Look much better with cermark then plain. When plain they have a subtle faded effect.

Braden Todd
05-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Shawn- When using the cermark are you using the tape or paint version? I'd be worried about the clean up is why I ask. I always have minor heart attack when working on such expensive toys.

Before I got my laser I was asked to engrave 12 Ipads for sales awards, ended up masking the heck out of them and sandblasted the text and logo into the Ipads. Looked great, had a tone on tone look to them.

greg lindsey
05-07-2011, 3:49 PM
Thanks Shawn, settings was really what I was looking for. I got a job from Apple directly to engrave 900 Ipads, I have 450 currently sitting in my office, started the unpacking this morning, I will be using cermark to engrave. It's gonna be a busy weekend.

Dave Marshall
05-07-2011, 7:33 PM
Yes, I have done about a hundred of them. They take more power than you'd expect and the substrate material is not black but rather a medium dark grey. I think some of the engraved iPad pictures that you find on the internet are Photoshopped. I have not tried using Cermark/Thermark on them.

Pwr: 100% Spd: 70% (60 watt ULS)

Dave Marshall
05-07-2011, 7:35 PM
And, BTW.... how do you get a great order like that from Apple? That's sweet.

greg lindsey
05-07-2011, 8:42 PM
dave, I've been engraving for the local Apple store for a few years now, someone made an inquiry and they gave someone else my name and number, A guy from thier corp office called me and asked me to quote the job, i did and got the job. These are all for one lrg company that is giving them out as an award. It's an oil company, with gas prices the way they are, it dosent surprize me that they can afford it.