PDA

View Full Version : Catalpa? Bowl

Deane Allinson
05-06-2011, 6:56 PM
Someone gave my wife a chunk of wood from a barn junk pile. It was a nice sized piece, but I had to cut it up to get rid of some severe checking along the growth rings. I think that it is Catalpa ?? from the smell and all of the "hair" it kicks up when turned (googled it). It really kicked me. Lots of tearing out and a little too deep for my tools. I bent a 1/4" gouge. Nice wood but definitely no fun to turn. 4" x 4"
Deane

John Keeton
05-06-2011, 7:46 PM
Deane, you did a really nice job with it - notwithstanding the "fighting back" that was going on!! I have a piece of catalpa, but have not turned it yet. There is some similarity in appearance, but not having seen any finished out I couldn't say.

Dennis Ford
05-06-2011, 7:51 PM
The form looks good, I would say that you won the battle even if you did not enjoy it.

David E Keller
05-06-2011, 8:48 PM
You're really kicking our some nice looking forms. That wood is nice, but I wouldn't know catalpa from anything else. Nicely done.

Baxter Smith
05-06-2011, 9:22 PM
Nice shape, nice wood. Great work!

Keith E Byrd
05-07-2011, 6:59 AM
Deane- very nice shape and wood - Good job! I have not turned any catalpa but I have a stack of it - it is much lighter in color than what you have - it does have big grain patterns like yours but much lighter. The smell is not a pleasant one.

John Hart
05-07-2011, 7:02 AM
Nice gentle curve through the upper 2/3 and a nice transition to the curve on the bottom. Great execution. Wood looks great, and it's doesn't look like you had a battle at all....a battle you certainly were victorious.

David Reed
05-07-2011, 9:36 AM
Battle or not, it looks like you are victorious. the form and finish are very well done. Being a west coaster, I also would not know Catalpa from Lychee!

Bernie Weishapl
05-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Deane that is a really nice looking piece. Really like the form and wood looks good. Looks to me like you won that one.