PDA

View Full Version : How Much For Glass

Dean Fowell
05-06-2011, 7:11 AM
Hey All,

I was just seeing if im to expensive for the glass, 1.40 per sq inch what are your thoughts

Dale Rajchel
05-06-2011, 7:15 AM
I always heard that $1.00 - $1.50 per minute of etching time, plus art work and the cost of the material was standard.

Mike Null
05-06-2011, 7:28 AM
I doubt if that method of pricing will work for very many glass jobs. While I generally avoid glass work the jobs I've had tend to be rather simple and lend themselves to by the piece pricing rather than by the inch.

Dean Fowell
05-06-2011, 8:30 AM
Well i guess im expensive on glass because time wise for a 12 x 12 square i got 256 the glass is 36 x 36 they want and the keep coming back I will have to try the time but that would work out to 46 dollars if did by time to etch ? the glass i do are always custom cut peices so you just can get another one off the shelf but I have been getting good results on glass

Dan Hintz
05-06-2011, 10:41 AM
@$1.40/sq inch, a 12x12 tile is $200... even for a one-off, I'm okay with that pricing. In quantity, I would come down, of course.

Dean Fowell
05-06-2011, 11:06 AM
Thanks Dan,
Thats what i was thinking of course it would be worked out different if you had time and you did not have to make your wife help you lift heavy peices into a machine

Martin Boekers
05-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Well i guess im expensive on glass because time wise for a 12 x 12 square i got 256 the glass is 36 x 36 they want and the keep coming back I will have to try the time but that would work out to 46 dollars if did by time to etch ? the glass i do are always custom cut peices so you just can get another one off the shelf but I have been getting good results on glass

Are you going to be responsible for replacing the piece if damage occurs? That would be a big part in pricing!

Is this something to consider doing a sand etch?

Dean Fowell
05-06-2011, 12:40 PM
If I screw up I will have to replace glass, But we have to do this with anything we laser etch. The companies I do all the glass for do sandblasting but for some reason have me laser a bulk of their stuff. So I guess they are happy with my work and quality.

And sorry for the bad grammar earlier. :)

Martin Boekers
05-06-2011, 2:09 PM
If I screw up I will have to replace glass, But we have to do this with anything we laser etch. The companies I do all the glass for do sandblasting but for some reason have me laser a bulk of their stuff. So I guess they are happy with my work and quality.

And sorry for the bad grammar earlier. :)

I guess what I was getting at the bigger the risk the higher the reward.
You sound comfortable with your pricing so if it works it works!

you must be pretty good with the glass!

Glass is always a toss up with me it either comes out real nice or not so nice!

Dale Rajchel
05-06-2011, 3:57 PM
I have to charge more!!!! Great input....

Bill Cunningham
05-08-2011, 2:37 PM
Most flat glass items I do, I charge by the sq. inch ($1.20) which includes the piece of glass or mirror. Both are inexpensive materials to work with. That pricing puts the average 8 x 10 portrait in mirror or glass at $96.00, and a 5 x 7 at $42.00.. Once you get the hang of tweaking the photos, and running through Photograv, the prep takes only a few minutes. While the laser is etching, I work on the next job.