PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly g0715p or G0691?

Andrew Welch 1977
05-06-2011, 2:57 AM
I'm looking at buying a new table saw to replace my old Dewalt DW744.
I've narrowed my choices down to either the Grizzly g0715p Hybrid or the
G0691 Cabinet saw.

My biggest question is.
Is the G0691 worth the extra money for a hobby woodworker (I mostly build shelves and I'm looking to get into small box making) or should I save myself a few dollars and get the cheaper Polar Bear model?

Any comments or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

scott spencer
05-06-2011, 4:31 AM
I'm sure the G0715P would do a good job if aligned well and fitted with a good blade, but if you've got 220v and the extra cash, the G0690 is definitely the more substantial saw.

Take a look at the guts of the G0690:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/sawparts/Slide1-3.jpg

Versus the guts of the former G0478 (more similar to the G0715P):
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/sawparts/g0478_trunnions.jpg

Bruno Frontera dela Cruz
05-06-2011, 7:45 AM
My first saw was (still is) a G1023Z which is a true cabinet saw like the G0690. I toyed with saving some money, 120V, etc and but I am glad that I spent the extra cash, I only wish I spent a bit more and got the left-tilt riving knife version!

I build beds, dressers, and will soon start on counters and cabinets so I am dealing with fairly large stock, but either way the saw is heavy, consistent, and goes through anything.

If you have the $$$, go for it (it will have more resale value when you upgrade later).

Cary Falk
05-06-2011, 9:56 AM
Here is a story. Take it for what it is worth. I went from a really nice Delta contractor saw to a cabinet saw about 5 years ago. It was more of a want than a need at the time. I made a lot of nice stuff on the Delta. About 3 weeks ago, I helped a friend purchase a nice Delta contractor saw on CL. It is a temp saw to meet a need till his shop is built and he can get a cabinet saw. I showed him how to set the saw up. I had forgotten wat a royal pain ti was to align the blade to the miter slot. Just touching the motor, I could throw it out of alignment. Everything felt like a light weight toy. The tiny handwheels drove me crazy. When I got back home I hugged my cabinet saw. If you have the cash, go ahead an get cabinet saw. If you are like me, the fact that you are thinking about it means you will eventually be there. If you ever wonder if you made the right decision in the future, purchase a contractor saw on CL, attempt to set it up and then resell it. Smile that you made the right decision.

Jim O'Dell
05-07-2011, 11:18 PM
I used a Ridgid 3612 contractor saw for about 7 or 8 years before I bought the 691. The Ridgid is still in the shop and will serve a specific purpose, but it is night and day difference going to the 691 cab saw. Some hybrids have cabinet mounted trunnions instead of being mounted to the top. Don't know about the 751 as I've never checked into their hybrids. Just not a big enough step up from the contractor saw for me. I agree with Bruno, if you have the ability for the 220 hookup, go with the cab saw. Jim.

scott spencer
05-08-2011, 7:33 AM
Are you still following this thread Andrew?

Andrew Welch 1977
05-08-2011, 2:29 PM
I am. I've been working overnights for the last few days so I haven't had a chance to reply.

Your photo cinched it for me.

One saw looks durable, while the other looks like my dewalt...and that's not a good thing.
Biggest problem I have on my dewalt now is the undercarriage dropping a 1/4" when I flip the switch.

Just need to save a few more dollars to get the more expensive saw and then coat it with something to
make my drool easier to wipe off.

Rick Bunt
05-08-2011, 8:14 PM
FWIW, the G1023RL is a bit cheaper than the G690 (about $200 depending what is on sale when). The saws have slightly different "best" features, but both have true riving knifes. There are a bunch of threads about them here if you search back. Some prefer 690 (or 691) and others prefer the 1023RL.

Jim O'Dell
05-08-2011, 9:15 PM
Rick is right. I own the 691 and have had my hands on a 1023R. Both are very nice saws. Look over them and see which features you like best and go that direction. Don't forget needing a 220 volt hook up. I wired my shop with plenty of 220 hook ups, so it wasn't a problem for me. Jim.

michael case
05-08-2011, 9:34 PM
This may help you decide - http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/2090 (http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/2090)
P.S. Nice photos Scott. Confucius says "One picture is worth a thousand words".

Sean Beddow
05-11-2011, 9:35 PM
I actually have the G0715p and the motor is mounted like the top picture (tronion sp?). It is more like a regular cabinet saw than the contractor ones. It also close to 350lbs assembled with the cast iron top and wings

To be honest I am fairly new to wood working but this saw has been one of my best buys. I haven't had an issue cutting anything with it and it was in my budget. I don't think you can go wrong with it if you are a casual woodworker.

Pete Janke
05-12-2011, 1:38 AM
I had a Craftsman 22124 hybrid (with cabinet mounted trunnions) for several years. It handled most anything, but I moved up to a 691 last year. I didn't really need it as I'm a hobbiest who occasionally builds big projects. The 691's 3 horsepower and smoothness are great qualities. The 220 hookup was not a big problem. It was definately worth it for me.

Greg Book
05-12-2011, 4:47 PM
michael, thanks for pointing out that lumberjocks review of the Grizzly! I read the review and immediately felt vindicated for posting my concerns about the similarities between the Grizzly G0715P and the Craftsman 21833: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?146523-New-Grizzly-G0715P&highlight=

Apparently the saws share the same internal mechanisms... and can experience the same alignment problems.

Andrew, go with the G0691!

Sean Beddow
05-13-2011, 10:19 AM
I work in global sourcing for a living so I get to see this sort of thing every day. They might be buying the same design from the same sub supplier, but that doest mean it is the "same" part. CM saw comes in at a lower price point and they have to do things to get there. They might use a lower grade metal, cheaper bolts/washers.... It could even be the motor related.

I have had my g0715p for 9 months and have used the heck out of it and I haven't had those issues.

If you can afford the more expensive saw, go for it. But not everyone can or needs that much saw.

David Hostetler
05-13-2011, 12:29 PM
If I had the bucks to ponder this question, including any power upgrades that would be needed, it would be a non question. The 3HP of the 690/691 would win out in a hot second. I have a 1.5HP saw, and it's fine, but a more massive 3HP machine would be real nice. Having said that, I am not sure I would benefit enough by jumping from 3 to 5 HP though, so for me, the G0691 would be a dream machine...