PDA

View Full Version : My First

mickey cassiba
05-05-2011, 8:56 PM
Charlotte was restin' easy today, got the yard cleaned up, checked out all of my job offers(ha!) and it was only eleven o'clock. Well says I...let's drag out the lathe and see what happens.Cut off a piece of dunno wood(I think its doug fir, very dry old 4X4)and here's what I had about three hours later193774193775193776193777While not up to the standards set here...it certainly raised the bar for me.
No finish yet, the inside is rough as a cob, the outside is tool finish only, no sanding. This was was strictly an exercise, no plan up front. The wall is approximately 1/8", though a little bumpy(ridgy?) inside. I haven't figured out how to do inside curves yet. I have a plan for a tool, but it'll have to wait.
Give it to me straight...I can take it. I need to know what needs improvement, and how to get it there.
BTW all of the tools are hand sharpened...my grinder plan is askew as well.
Mick

David E Keller
05-05-2011, 9:04 PM
Looks like a pretty nice little cup! I don't see any major tearout on the outside, and your curves look good... Beats the pants off of my first dozen pieces. Kudos!

Steve Schlumpf
05-05-2011, 9:06 PM
I think you did really good on this! Most folks start off with very straight walls - you created an nice curve! The photos are a little to small to see any real detail as far as tear-out but overall - you did good!

Roger Chandler
05-05-2011, 9:08 PM
Great for a first Mickey! Keep at it, you will be amazed at what you turn in just a few short weeks!

Bill Wyko
05-05-2011, 9:11 PM
You've done a fine job there. You could snaz it up with a piano wire. You use it to burn a dark line into the grooves while it's spinning on the lathe. I can see the form you did looking great in woods with a lot of figure too. Good job.

mickey cassiba
05-05-2011, 9:14 PM
I think you did really good on this! Most folks start off with very straight walls - you created an nice curve! The photos are a little to small to see any real detail as far as tear-out but overall - you did good!Steve...if you were closer I'd ask for a tut...on photography as well as turning. It was you, a couple of years ago that really grabbed my attention. I shrunk the photos down with 'paint' to meet the filesize (107m.) I know there is another way, but aside from having no turners in the 'hood' we're a little short of geeks(meant in the nicest possible way) too.

mickey cassiba
05-05-2011, 9:17 PM
Bill I 'bout tore apart the shed lookin' for a piece of shark leader I know is out there. There's a crack in the rim so I'm scared to try remounting it...but the burn was on my mind.

Tim Thiebaut
05-06-2011, 12:45 AM
Steve...if you were closer I'd ask for a tut...on photography as well as turning. It was you, a couple of years ago that really grabbed my attention. I shrunk the photos down with 'paint' to meet the filesize (107m.) I know there is another way, but aside from having no turners in the 'hood' we're a little short of geeks(meant in the nicest possible way) too.

Hi Mickey, For reducing photo sizes I use IRFanView, it is very easy to use, and lets you keep as high a detail as possible when reducing. If you want to try it go to the link below and download the version for your system, install it, and then open a picture. When you have a picture on your screen in IRFanView hit CTRL + R and it ill bring up a window, on the right hand side you can choose options to reduce your file, pick what you want, and save it. If you do download this and need more help just let me know....Tim

http://www.irfanview.com/

Keith Westfall
05-06-2011, 12:51 AM
I've taken a picture and emailed it to myself, saying yes, when asked if I want it made smaller. Seems to be an OK size to post then...

Dan Forman
05-06-2011, 3:40 AM
Hey Mickie---Looks pretty good from here. An outward swell like that is harder to do than a traditional bowl shape, so more credit to you. Not only that, but fir is harder to turn clean than a lot of hardwoods, so no need to feel bad at all, just keep on going.

Dan

mickey cassiba
05-06-2011, 3:49 AM
Thank you Dan...I was just foolin' around...ad it all came together...Serendipity or something. This is the first one that didn't fly apart, or across the yard. Just goes to show what a man can do when he has too much time on his hands.
I wiped on a little shellac a while ago, and the grain jumped out. I think I like this...

John Hart
05-06-2011, 5:04 AM
Seems like your "foolin' around" is revealing the natural desire for curvature. After you get your homemade tools figured out for hollowing, I'm sure you're going to have a lot of fun. This is a really nice "first". Keep it forever.

mickey cassiba
05-06-2011, 5:22 AM
Seems like your "foolin' around" is revealing the natural desire for curvature. After you get your homemade tools figured out for hollowing, I'm sure you're going to have a lot of fun. This is a really nice "first". Keep it forever.Can't keep it ...Mi Vieja has already claimed it...for paperclips or something...as to curves... really never fooled with them much. As a machinist. everything was angular or straight. I had a ball with it though...gonna try to plan something next time, or not...improv is fun!
If y'all remember a couple years back, when I first logged on...I had silly ideas. I got another one I'm going to try to run past you. It involves cutters out of a moulderhead and some square stock. I'll try to draw it up and get y'alls take on it. I've been talked out of stupid stuff before, if this one sounds dumd let me know.
Mick

John Hart
05-06-2011, 5:39 AM
I use cutters of all types to make turning tools. Just about anything of quality steel can be shaped to perform specific tasks. 'Course...I have a bad habit of making things that "just don't work"....but that's the trial and error part. The cutter out of a moulderhead should provide you with lots of area to shape a good hollowing piece. Just try to keep the point of contact small. Wide cutting surfaces tend to be a bit grabby....and quite explosive at times!! :)

Keith E Byrd
05-06-2011, 6:34 AM
Great job - I like that shape!

John Keeton
05-06-2011, 8:22 AM
Mickey, we had our club meeting last nite, and I missed seeing your post!! Great job on this one. Excellent curves, nice detailing at the bottom - much better form than one typically gets on a "first." No telling what you could do with some nice hardwood. I think you will grasp this pretty quickly.

Bernie Weishapl
05-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Mickey great job on the piece for a first. Form looks pretty good.

bob svoboda
05-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Great job on a first. Nice curves and the surface looks good given the type of wood you used. You're hooked good!

mickey cassiba
05-06-2011, 12:29 PM
You're hooked good!

I knew there was conspiracy afoot...doggone enablers!
All the things I used to read and chuckle about are coming home to roost. I stopped the other day and tried to get a fellow who was cleaning up a windfall to cut me off a couple chunks. Me with no Spanish, him with no English, I know the poor man thought I was nuts. But I did come home with a couple pieces of dunno wood. Painted the ends with enamel paint(all I had). Do you cut out the pith now when you get the wood? Too many questions...back to the 'search'...fiinishing, photography,:eek:ahh...I need a chainsaw! JK and BN, your sitting there laughing aren't you?
Thanks for all the nice comments.
Mick

Baxter Smith
05-06-2011, 9:30 PM
Nice job Mickey. Good luck with number 2!

Jeff Nicol
05-06-2011, 9:57 PM
Mickey, We all start at a beginning and work our way to a point that we still want to learn more and try new things, that is the great thing about wood turning. Someone new always is coming along or an oldtimer tries something new and we all want to try it and on the wheels keep turning! Nice first try and many more will come from your hands, just keep having fun!

Jeff

cal thelen
05-06-2011, 10:08 PM
I like it alot. i think I would put a burn on it too. but I like the burned rings. I usually use steel leaders for fishing but for thicker rings i have used a piece of 12 gauge copper wire. looks good.

mickey cassiba
05-07-2011, 3:45 AM
I like it alot. i think I would put a burn on it too. but I like the burned rings. I usually use steel leaders for fishing but for thicker rings i have used a piece of 12 gauge copper wire. looks good. Doh! While I was looking for the shark leader I moved a bunch of electrical wire...

Josh Bowman
05-07-2011, 7:20 AM
Great job, hollowing is real fun! Your first looks great, looking forward to the second.