PDA

View Full Version : TS, Belt & Pulleys ?

Mike Holbrook
02-04-2005, 12:24 PM
I have a new saw all set up (General 50-185). The motor on this baby is much stronger than on my new saw. When I crank the saw up I get a fair amount of table shake. The shaking largely disappears once the saw is up to speed but reappears even worse when I turn it off. I am thinking of buying one of the link belts and or pulleys for my saw. I have two questions:

1) Will a better belt and or pulleys improve this shaking problem. I realize that some shaking may be normal but the saw is actually moving across the floor which may present a problem. I have aligned the belt etc. to the best of my ability.
2) The belts I have seen are all 1/2 inch mine is much thinner. Do I need new pulleys or does someplace make them in different sizes? I have talked to a couple of places that sell the belts but have no idea how to make it work on my saw. A supplier link would be appreciated.

Ray Dockrey
02-04-2005, 1:03 PM
I don't think I have ever heard of one shaking that bad during startup and shutdown. I think Grizzly and Harbor Freight have the best prices on link belts. I put one on my JET contractors saw and it made a difference. I would also make sure your saw is completely level and everything is aligned and tight. You might also want to call General and talk with them to see if they have any solutions before you buy the link belt. Harbor Freight only shows the half inch. Grizzly has the three eighths.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G3639

Tyler Howell
02-04-2005, 1:13 PM
2 votes for the linked belts. My Cman TS walked across the room on start up and wind down:eek: . Linked belts and 1 machined pulley made her purr like a kitten.:cool:

Doug Shepard
02-04-2005, 1:26 PM
I'm not familiar with the General you have, but in a previous life I owned a Craftsman contractor saw. I had some $$ burning a hole in my pocket one day and decided to get the link belt and machined pulleys. WOW - what a difference. Though mine didn't shake all over to start with, it was much smoother running. The saw was quieter by roughly 25% and there was also a small but noticable increase in power. Stuff that threatened to stall slightly was quite a bit easier to cut with the addons.

Mike Holbrook
02-04-2005, 6:00 PM
Sounds like belts and pulleys may be a step in the right direction.

I spent another hour or two moving the motor around (contractor saw) and leveling my table better. Although it may be a little better I still get some shaking starting out and pretty major shaking when I turn it off. I imagine some of this is normal and I am not use to a saw with this kind of power but if I can get rid of some of it I am interested.

I called Grizzly since I could not get General and the Grizzly contractor saw lists the exact same belt (3VX-470). A technician confirmed that a 3/8" x 4' Aculink (sp?) V belt will work with my saw. It is now on order. I will report back once I try it out.