PDA

View Full Version : HF design help

Dale Coons
05-05-2011, 8:06 PM
HF#2--Needs help. It's about 6.5 inches tall and 4.5 inches across at the shoulder. It looks a bit chunky to me. I think maybe the shoulders need to be lowered a half inch or so, which should slim up the form. Maybe the foot needs to be smaller in diameter but not sure by how much--and maybe it needs a detail somewhere--

Any comments on how I could improve this would be appreciated! This is a piece of pecan that dried on the trunk for years in the hot arizona sun--it's bone dry thru and thru. Tried to put some dimensions on hopefully they're visible when enlarged--if not, the top to shoulder is 1.5 inches and the bottom diameter is 2 5/8. There's a tenon between the bottom and the 'flange' of wood at the chuck--I could fold that into the form I suppose it's about 1/4 inch high.

David DeCristoforo
05-05-2011, 8:25 PM
Ala Steve Schlumph:

John Hart
05-05-2011, 8:37 PM
Yeah...what DD did is exactly what I was thinkin'. You got a diamond in the rough there!!

David E Keller
05-05-2011, 9:14 PM
I like David's proposal... The only thing I would add is a very subtle upturn at the opening and small radius at the base. Looks like a nice piece of wood.

David DeCristoforo
05-05-2011, 9:23 PM
"The only thing I would add is a very subtle upturn at the opening..."

Si... si... muy bueno!

Steve Schlumpf
05-05-2011, 9:24 PM
I agree with DD's design suggestion and also like Keller's idea of a slight upturn to the lip of the opening. Lots of options for you to consider! Looking froward to seeing the finished piece!

Dale Coons
05-05-2011, 10:26 PM
Thanks all--I'll try and refine this a little tomorrow. I was going to start digging it out, but took a second look and knew it needed something. DD your overlay is what I was trying to see without quite knowing where to go. I do like the upturn idea also. So I'll give it a go and hopefully get the diamond out of the rough.

Kathy Marshall
05-06-2011, 1:37 AM
Ditto DD and DK! Should be a really nice piece when it's finished!

Dale Coons
05-06-2011, 9:42 PM
Thanks for the tips, I've tried to implement them, although I must admit to being a bit chicken about being too aggressive. So maybe not quite there yet :rolleyes:, but an improvement? Pics aren't great, but I hope OK for current purposes. Does the bottom need to be rounded more? and yet smaller? Also, on the 'backside', I could shave some more off the form and run the dark areas together, but I think I might have to take more off than I think for that to happen--maybe a quarter to three-eights. What do you think? Other suggestions?

David E Keller
05-06-2011, 10:39 PM
I think it's an improvement, and I agree with your instinct about making the foot a bit smaller... Not sure how much wood you've got left to play with, but the widest point of the form is still a bit high for the 'traditional' 1/3 to 2/3 ratio. It's all a matter of preference and your particular vision. Happy turning!

Bernie Weishapl
05-06-2011, 10:41 PM
I agree if there is enough wood I would take the foot down smaller. If you don't have enough wood call it good.

John Hart
05-07-2011, 9:44 AM
Dale, if you do decide to take more off the bottom, you might want to try to put a bit more curve in the long part of the body. I see some straightening happening. But really, it's coming along pretty good.