PDA

View Full Version : New Jet disc sander I got today off CL

Jack Gaskins
05-05-2011, 6:55 PM
Picked this up off CL for only $150. Only issue is the damn foot is broke off. Still would have bought at that price even if it was adveritised as being broken. Anyway I checked out the rest of the sander and everything is spot on and the disc runs true and man does it remove wood FAST. WOW. Anyway i had a question for anyone that has one of these. Did yours come with a broken foot and is there a way to reattach it? I ran the sander for about 10 minutes and it did not vibrate or move at all. Darn thing weighs 100 pounds! But just wanted to see if anyone has a suggestion on how to reattach the foot. Also is there an adapter I can purchase to attach my shopvac to the big dust port? I was thinking of calling Jet but I dont think they will send me a new one since I got it off CL even though it is still new??

Jerry Marcantel
05-05-2011, 7:07 PM
Take it to a welder, and have him/her weld it. You could also reattach it with a strap small enough to fit into the groove in the foot, then drill through the strap and into the foot. Tap the holes in the foot and body, and attach the strap...... Foot's fixed until it gets dropped again.....Jerry (in Tucson)

Michael Ginsberg
05-05-2011, 7:09 PM
Jack, I don't know if it will work, but I recently used a two part epoxy "metal putty" from home depot. You knead the two parts together and apply. It came in a tube. Not sure of the exact name. It dries in a few minutes and it can be sanded, shaped etc. It might work?

John Hart
05-05-2011, 7:16 PM
I'm not sure I'd even worry about it. Looks like, with good mounting on the other three, on a good solid surface, you'd be ready to rock. Unless you plan on sanding a tree or something, I would think it will be fine.

Michael Ginsberg
05-05-2011, 7:35 PM
The product I was thinking of is called JB Weld.

Jack Gaskins
05-05-2011, 7:45 PM
The product I was thinking of is called JB Weld.

I was thinking about the same stuff. I used it on a sprinkler pump motor housing that had a hairline crack and was leaking water. Put some metal putty on it and after it hardend up no more leak. Just that the stuff is thick and wasnt sure if it would harden and stick the two together? Might not worry about it. Sander doesnt seem to move at all and there is no tipping because the weight of the motor is on the back feet.

Norman Hitt
05-05-2011, 7:52 PM
Jack, I would use a combination of Jerry and Michael's procedures, AND, + 1 on the JB Weld. Congratulations on the CL Score too, excellent price IMHO. Note: I meant the second option of Jerry's about adding the strap, in conjunction with using the JB Weld, (NOT having a welder weld it for you)

Tim Thiebaut
05-05-2011, 8:22 PM
I'm not sure I'd even worry about it. Looks like, with good mounting on the other three, on a good solid surface, you'd be ready to rock. Unless you plan on sanding a tree or something, I would think it will be fine.

I agree, it looks as if it is sitting completely flat on the table, the other 3 legs should hold it more then stable enough, unless you are worried about appearances I wouldnt sweat it.

Jim Burr
05-06-2011, 9:40 AM
Since it's cast iron, you would have to heat the entire piece to 700 deg to weld it, then sand bath the whole thing...may not work for the rest of the parts. JB weld maybe your best bet.

Robert McGowen
05-06-2011, 9:52 AM
Hi Jack, I have the same sander and have had it for a couple of years. I ordered it off of Amazon and when it arrived you could see that it was not very well packaged for shipping. It was shipped in the Jet box with no other protection. I pulled it out and the cast iron foot fell out of the box. Apparently it is very easy to snap off the foot during shipping due to the weight of the machine and the lack of support in the packaging. I exchanged it, but after using one for a while, I think that if you just put a bolt through the remaining foot, it should be just fine. Good luck with it.

Bernie Weishapl
05-06-2011, 10:30 AM
Jack congrats on your find. I think if bolted down it will be fine.

Bob Wolfe
05-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Nice find there Jack!! I'm jealous. Seems like there's never any good stuff on CL down here. Looks like you're going to dive into the realm of segmented turning next eh? JB weld will mend that broken foot for you. I bought the quick curing stuff last time from HD, I think, and it has worked out great. I never did repair what I'd originally bought it for (cracked chains saw oiler / cap), but have fixed a lot of other stuff around the shop with it. I prefer having less work time for the small repair I use it for.

Jeff Nicol
05-06-2011, 11:14 PM
Jack, I would just drill a couple holes 1/8-3/16" in the foot and the rest of the base then cut some rod of some sort either steel, stainless, or brass to fit between the two pieces and then us the JB weld. The rods will add strength and will not show on the outside for athetic value.

Some day I will get a big disc sander too!

Jeff

John Beaver
05-07-2011, 12:33 AM
I have one. Great machine. Great score. Just bolt the other three feet down and it should be fine.

Jack Gaskins
05-07-2011, 11:28 AM
Jack, I would just drill a couple holes 1/8-3/16" in the foot and the rest of the base then cut some rod of some sort either steel, stainless, or brass to fit between the two pieces and then us the JB weld. The rods will add strength and will not show on the outside for athetic value.

Some day I will get a big disc sander too!

Jeff

Hi Jeff. You mean drill a couple holes long ways into the foot and into the base thin connect them with rods?

David DeCristoforo
05-07-2011, 12:42 PM
Second what Jeff suggests. "Dowel" it back together with JB weld. That stuff is amazing. My '88 Chevy truck which I gave to my son last year has an exhaust manifold that was repaired eight years ago with JB weld and it's still holding!