PDA

View Full Version : Union 4 1/2 plane

George Penfold
05-05-2011, 5:34 PM
My partners dad let me have this old Union 4 1/2 plane a few days ago, wondered if anyone has any info on this maker, I think it might be a USA plane. It looks like a rip off of a low knob Stanley of around 1900 - 1910.

David Weaver
05-05-2011, 5:53 PM
US made plane, one of that type is a lot like a stanley bailey. I've only had one, but it was similar in quality to my stanley bailey plane and a good user.

If the solid parts of that plane are still solid and uncracked, that one can be turned into a decent user (i think). Mine was a bit older than that one, and very comparable to a stanley type 9 bailey.

James Taglienti
05-07-2011, 6:49 PM
Depending on the vintage, the cutter may be considerably thicker than a stanley. I sometimes buy beat up union planes at auctions just to salvage the cutters, the steel is outstanding !

Andrew Gibson
05-07-2011, 7:10 PM
I have 3 or 4 Union Planes that I use regularly. There is no reason it won't make a good user. It may need a different iron to get excellent results, but if the iron is a thicker one James mentioned it can be a good iron. looks like the knob and tote could use a little TLC... so could the lateral adjuster.

Jim Koepke
05-08-2011, 11:03 AM
I would hazard a guess that the plane may have a Stanley blade. Stanley bought the Union plane line in about 1920.

The blade doesn't look thicker in the pictures.

A couple of other things make me think it is a Stanley sold Union plane.

jtk

Norman Hitt
05-08-2011, 1:09 PM
I have 3 or 4 Union Planes that I use regularly. looks like the knob and tote could use a little TLC... "so could the lateral adjuster".

Now Andrew, don't you recognize that the lateral adjuster is a "Highly Customized" model that you can make one handed adjustments on the fly with your thumb?:D