PDA

View Full Version : Mouse Pads

Ian Franks
05-05-2011, 3:56 PM
Hi Guys,
First time poster, so please help if I break any rules.
We bought a laser to cut various paper products and now want to try other products. One item we make is mouse pads were we colour laser print the top matt laminate one side then stick it to EVA foam. We currently cut with a craft knife and round the corners with a corner rounder. This is a slow process.
We would like to try laser cutting the pads we do these 2 up on 1 sheet.
We have done test cuts and it seems to work well.
Are there any pitfalls in terms of gas etc. The laminate is polyester. What type of glue is not noxious? Are there any no-nos

Martin Boekers
05-05-2011, 4:21 PM
Welcome aboard!

Get the MSDS to find out what is in the foam. Typically anything that has a Chloride in it isn't too good (PVC) so stay away from that.
Check with your laser company if you have any doubts.

If you have dye sub Conde sell hardboard stock in sheets which is nice, cuts well with the laser and I use it for many things.
If you use a transfer sheet like Magic Touch I'm sure there is some white board stock that would work the you could use a spray sealer.

If you do a bunch of these consider going dye sub, Ricoh has a printer on sale now with inks and paper for about $400 the all you need is a heat press.

Marty

Dan Hintz
05-05-2011, 6:09 PM
EVA foam is perfectly fine to laser cut... you didn't list what you're printing the design itself on, so I can't help there.

Ian Franks
05-06-2011, 1:17 AM
EVA foam is perfectly fine to laser cut... you didn't list what you're printing the design itself on, so I can't help there.
Dan, I print on Xerox colotec with A Colour laser copier. I find that always gives a better print than normal stock.

Ian Franks
05-06-2011, 1:36 AM
Thanks Martin, I am trying to steer clear of dye sub, so I am trying this with my current equipment.

Dan Hintz
05-06-2011, 6:37 AM
Oh, just paper... you'll be fine.