PDA

View Full Version : Masking for puzzles- help needed before I get arthritis

Kimmy Armstrong
05-05-2011, 3:10 PM
I'm cutting 1/4" plywood that has an image dry mounted on top. We are using a low to medium tack application tape when cutting. Getting nice cut pieces with a great image after removing the application tape. Here is the problem- the tape is not that easy to get off when you are removing about 350 pieces at a time on small 1/2" puzzles pieces. I've been wrapping my finger in duct tape (adhesive side up) to help pull it off. There has to be a product out there that I'm missing & I figured you all have tried or know about everything. It is extremely time consuming and tedious- there must be a better way.

Epilog Mini 24 50W

Neil Pabia
05-05-2011, 5:14 PM
I use a low tack vinyl that comes on a roll 48" wide and works well for what I am doing. If you would like to send me your address, I will send you some to try out.

Kimmy Armstrong
05-05-2011, 6:25 PM
Thanks for the offer but I'm willing to buy it and see if it works. I kind of need it quickly. What is it that you use?

Gary Hair
05-05-2011, 6:42 PM
Is it possible to clear coat the image? If so, you might be able to cleanup with denatured alcohol and forget the tape.

Gary

Neil Pabia
05-05-2011, 7:28 PM
Thanks for the offer but I'm willing to buy it and see if it works. I kind of need it quickly. What is it that you use?

That is part of the problem, I don't truly know what it is. I got several rolls of it from a friend and have been using it for masking, it came out of a printing shop.

Lee DeRaud
05-05-2011, 9:38 PM
I feel your pain. :eek: (I run into the same issue peeling the backing from a gazillion tiny pieces of self-stick veneer for my marquetry projects.)

The only suggestion I can make is to not press the masking material down tight over the whole pre-cut piece, just sort of "tack" it around the edges. It will still stick, just not at hard.

Joe Pelonio
05-05-2011, 10:32 PM
Even medium tack will come off easily if you mist it with water and wait about 10 seconds. The adhesive is waterproof but does soften. Just make sure the ink is colorfast. With transfer tape the glossier the material the lower tack you want, but I never use high tack except on sandblast rubber.

Glenn Corser
05-06-2011, 12:20 AM
I just went through some of that tonight. What I do is spray it with water, wet a soft cloth, and then rub it off. The small pieces come up very easily and you don't have the tedium of pulling each piece off or constantly changing the tape you are using to remove the masking.

Dan Hintz
05-06-2011, 6:39 AM
What Joe and Glenn said... and don't drink from a sweating glass before shifting the item on the laser's bed unless you like extra work (DAMHIKT).

Kimmy Armstrong
05-06-2011, 8:24 AM
Thanks everyone! I'll try misting and see if this helps. I haven't really seen a difference between the low tack and medium tack. I would never try high tack. This stuff Neil talks about might work also.

Chuck Stone
05-06-2011, 5:12 PM
That is part of the problem, I don't truly know what it is. I got several rolls of it from a friend and have been using it for masking, it came out of a printing shop.

Ah.. THAT stuff!

It is adhesive vinyl display printing material for wide format inkjets.

Neil Pabia
05-06-2011, 8:45 PM
Ah.. THAT stuff!

It is adhesive vinyl display printing material for wide format inkjets.

Thats the stuff Chuck, last time I got a truckload of paper and there were 4 or 5 rolls mixed in. Do you need anymore of it?

Chuck Stone
05-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Need any more? I never *did* get any .. you took it all! LOL
I'll try a roll if you've got one. I've got a few ideas for it..