PDA

View Full Version : Help with hole in bowl bottom revisited

Eric Gourieux
05-05-2011, 2:31 PM

Here is the pecan bowl with the hole in the bottom. Thanks to all who replied with their suggestions. Any additional suggestions for a repair/coverup?

Dick Wilson
05-05-2011, 3:02 PM
Eric, On your first post it sounded like you had a huge hole. Now that I see the actual hole you could still do what I suggested on your original post regarding a small bowl on the inside - maybe 1" in diameter. I would use a dowel to plug the hole. Scoop the center out to the first or second ring and use the same treatment that you use on the inside. Look forward to seeing the fix.

Roger Chandler
05-05-2011, 3:36 PM
I would make the hole bigger with a forstner bit, then put a plug in it of some contrasting wood, then after the glue is good and dry, turn away and finish the bowl out. Looks like the hole from a screw center.

You have a good one started here, so don't let this ruin the piece......it can still be quite good!

David DeCristoforo
05-05-2011, 3:50 PM
I would not attempt to "cover this up" at all. No matter what you do it will be noticeable. Instead, I would plug it with a small bit of purple heart or rosewood leaving people to wonder about the small dot in the center. You could even make up some hooie about the significance of the dot.

mike ash
05-05-2011, 4:35 PM
I did this once and ended up putting a very small plug in that is about the same color as the bowl and then doing a bit of woodburning of something like a leaf or feather. The burned feature will completely hide the defect.

Mike Ash

Eric Gourieux
05-05-2011, 4:59 PM
Thank you for you suggestions and encouragement. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Eric

John W Dixon
05-05-2011, 6:35 PM
The first picture just doesn't look like the hole is in the center due to the optical illusion. Kinda made me pause for second. lol

Eric Gourieux
05-05-2011, 8:39 PM
That's one of the things I love about live edge bowls