PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable 690LR Router Help

Tom Winship
05-05-2011, 9:47 AM
I need to use a 3/4" radius roundover bit in my router. The baseplate hole is not large enough. I know this means changing the baseplate to one with a large hole. Where is a good source (or do you fabricate your own)?

Jerry Olexa
05-05-2011, 9:53 AM
I think Rockler has them...

Tom Hintz
05-05-2011, 2:08 PM
The 690 base is one of the most common out there so i am sure that Rockler, Woodcraft and any well-stocked woodworking store or outlet will have a baseplate that works.

John TenEyck
05-05-2011, 2:47 PM
10 minutes and a piece of 1/4" melamine, plywood, etc. does the trick for me. I make them in all sorts of shapes with whatever hole size I need for the job. For a really custom fit, I just cut a hole large enough to clear the bearing, then clamp the base to a bench, insert the router with bit into the threads, turn it on and twist it down the threads to cut through the base to whatever depth is needed.

Chip Lindley
05-05-2011, 3:43 PM
I made my own of scrap 1/4" Plexiglas. The new base was laid out and holes accurately drilled and countersunk for attachment screws. Then the new base was bolted to the original base, used as a template guide to route the outside diameter with a 1/2" pattern bit. The center hole was drilled oversize with a Forstner bit, with the base centered on a drill press table.

Kent A Bathurst
05-05-2011, 5:59 PM
I made my own of scrap 1/4" Plexiglas. The new base was laid out and holes accurately drilled and countersunk for attachment screws. Then the new base was bolted to the original base, used as a template guide to route the outside diameter with a 1/2" pattern bit. The center hole was drilled oversize with a Forstner bit, with the base centered on a drill press table.

+1.....................

mickey cassiba
05-06-2011, 8:34 PM
I too have made several bases for my 690...1/4" plexi...shaped and sized to fit the job or my mood. My favorite is a 'D' shaped one...the straight edge is great for following dado, and rabbet jigs. A couple have oversized holes, and one has a 5/16" hole to reduce tearout with small bits(a zci for the router if you will.
Mick

lowell holmes
05-07-2011, 8:59 AM
I would rather work wood than plastic. Pat Warner can help you. I have several of his sub-bases.

Harvey Pascoe
05-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Why not just put the bit in the router under existing base plate, then plunge the router through it to enlarge the hole. That's what I did.

pat warner
05-07-2011, 2:39 PM
Tho self serving, your suggestion, tho successful for you, may not be for others. There is substantial risk driving a hot cutter through a subbase.
The cutter can jamb in the subbase, break and fracture it (sling hot plastic at you), it (the cutter) may self feed right through the cutter hole and nip you, + you may break the cutter. You may spoil its sharpness (especially in black phenolic), put out your eye and cuss left & right.
Moreover, if the cutter in the collet is the one you want passage for, there will be no chip clearance for it; just not a great thing to be doing.