PDA

View Full Version : Wireless router speed

Sean Troy
05-05-2011, 8:58 AM
Hi all, another question on wireless routers. Our church is installing 20mbps cable internet in our new youth building and I'll be installing a wireless router in a large Hall at the peak of a 15 foot high ceiling. Should I go with a N type or G. Is the N that much faster? Thanks, Sean

Matt Meiser
05-05-2011, 9:06 AM
N will only be faster if everyone who connects has an N device unless you use an router that has 2 radios as I recently learned. G will already be 2.5x faster than your internet connection's theoretical max.

At home, I only notice the speed difference between my G access point and N access point when copying large files from one computer to another.

Bryan Morgan
05-05-2011, 10:57 PM
N will only be faster if everyone who connects has an N device unless you use an router that has 2 radios as I recently learned. G will already be 2.5x faster than your internet connection's theoretical max.

At home, I only notice the speed difference between my G access point and N access point when copying large files from one computer to another.

Yup.

I'd get N with a newer multi band router. Theres a lot of little things to keep in mind, so its best to get the nicest router you can so all the options are there... With dual bands you can run one at G and one at N... N isn't always faster than G and doesn't always use 5 ghz... You can run in mixed mode but that will run slower and if I remember correctly, only at 2.4ghz. Something like a Netgear WNDR3700 should suit you well. They have a media enhanced or whatever version but its actually not as good as it has less RAM than the normal version.

Dustin Brown
05-06-2011, 2:32 PM
I would get whatever you can get the best deal on. If you are only using this as an internet access point then almost any wireless router will be faster than 20mbps. If you plan to copy very large files more than a few times then you will definitely see a difference as Matt stated.