PDA

View Full Version : Repairing a hole in bowl bottom

Eric Gourieux
05-05-2011, 7:31 AM
My first post on the forum is a request for help. I have been turning for the past 10 years, starting with pens and now primarily bowls. I recently turned a pecan bowl and carelessly turned the bottom too thin, creating a 2mm hole in the center of the bottom. Since the wood surrounding the hole is quite thin, I'm unsure how I can repair the hole. I assume that I need to enlarge the hole to the point that I have sufficient wood thickness to support some type of repair. I have considered filling the void with a small wooden "coin", filling with stone inlay, such as turquoise or jet black, or gluing some sawdust into the void. Any suggestions?

Gary Max
05-05-2011, 7:42 AM
Two thoughts come to mind---CA and saw dust or turn a plug and glue it into the hole.

John Keeton
05-05-2011, 8:12 AM
Eric, a pic or two might help folks visualize the situation. You don't say how much wood remains in the chuck tenon or whether you are using a recess. Keep in mind that painting the interior of the bowl using acrylic paint, perhaps with a slight texture added to the paint (fine sand, etc.) might be a way to hide the plug in the bottom. You could use a dark brown or black paint, and combine that with a feature band on the outside of the bowl to compliment, and end up with a classy piece without the plug ever being seen except in the bottom. And, even then, it makes a nice place for your signature.

Dick Wilson
05-05-2011, 8:43 AM
Eric,

Without seeing the bowl here is what I see. Keep in mind that I am the "design opportunity Master";););) Here is what I would consider if it were my bowl.

1. Turn a new base for the bowl so that your bowl fits into it. Try to get a "perfect" fit.
2. Leave the tenon on the base for some turning on the bowl inside.
3. Glue the base to the bowl.
4. Turn a small bowl in the bottom. A bowl within a bowl if you will.
5. Use a contrasting lacquer for the small bowl or you might try gold leaf.
6. If you gold leaf make sure the the small bowl is perfectly smooth - no imperfections as it will stick out like a sore thumb when gold leaf is applied.
7. You might consider dying the pecan bowl.

Just an idea. There are tons of ways to go. Post a pic and I might have other options for you.

J.D.Redwine
05-05-2011, 8:51 AM
A glued shaving worked for me in a similar situation.

Steve Schlumpf
05-05-2011, 9:48 AM
Eric - Welcome to the Creek! If possible - a photo or two of the bowl in question would sure help! If you have any questions on how to post photos... let us know.

Bernie Weishapl
05-05-2011, 9:49 AM
I would square off the bottom so it is perfectly flat and glue a contrasting piece of wood on. Then finish turning it.