PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 45E plane.

Geoff Irvine
02-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Could anyone please help me. I just had a relapse and went for another sojourn to the old tool shops and I've picked up , according to the label, 'one 45E plane' in quite good original condition - all the plating is intact no signs rust . It has a sweetheart mark on the main body. It came with a leaflet and as far as I can tell all the parts and the original 23 cutters (and 2 extra- 232 & 212). Even has what looks like the original screwdriver. Found 2 extra nickers in saw dust in the bottom of the box. The box has the original labels (in poorish condition) and it says 'MANUFACTURED BY STANLEY R-LE & LEVEL CO. N-- BRITAIN. CONN USA' What is confusing me is the 45E - I can reference a number 45 but not the 45E. http://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/biggrin.gif Always wanted this type of plane since I was a boy. It cost me £125+tax (about $270 all up) .
I promise the picture police that as soon as the wife shows me how to use her digital camera I will post.
Talking of wives - Is that too much to pay and do I have to hide this one as well... I dread to think what she would do if she realised what those 16 tools and associated addenda from your Mr Lie-Nielsen cost!http://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/eek.gif Hopefully I can gradually bring those out in the next year ...'Oh its always been there in the back of the cupboard' -just like the dresses she springs on me on a regular basis. Will have to lock the workshop door -'Health and Safety reasons Dear'- for a while.
I would be extremely grateful if anyone could enlighten me with respect to this matter - also be eternally grateful on any tips on how to get around the curious wife syndrome.

Tom LaRussa
02-04-2005, 12:19 PM
Hi Geoff,

Could anyone please help me. I just had a relapse and went for another sojourn to the old tool shops
First off I have to say I'm insanely jealous of you for the mere fact that you have such things as "old tool shops" to visit. Shouldn't it be "Olde Tool Shoppes" though? ;)

and I've picked up , according to the label, 'one 45E plane' in quite good original condition - all the plating is intact no signs rust. It has a sweetheart mark on the main body. It came with a leaflet and as far as I can tell all the parts and the original 23 cutters (and 2 extra- 232 & 212). Even has what looks like the original screwdriver. Found 2 extra nickers in saw dust in the bottom of the box. The box has the original labels (in poorish condition) and it says 'MANUFACTURED BY STANLEY R-LE & LEVEL CO. N-- BRITAIN. CONN USA' What is confusing me is the 45E - I can reference a number 45 but not the 45E. http://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/biggrin.gif Always wanted this type of plane since I was a boy. It cost me £125+tax (about $270 all up).
I'm afraid that what you've got there is what we call a bargain over on this side of the big pond. The "E" apparently stands for "export" version. MJD Tools recently sold one in "Good +" condition for $375.
http://www.mjdtools.com/tools/list_200/125261.htm

I promise the picture police that as soon as the wife shows me how to use her digital camera I will post.
Okay, but we'll require extra pics!

I would be extremely grateful if anyone could enlighten me with respect to this matter - also be eternally grateful on any tips on how to get around the curious wife syndrome.
Regarding old tools, perhaps you could point out that your purchases appreciate in value over time, thus they are investments, rather than personal items?

As for the Lie-Nielsen merchandise, given the weakness in the dollar of late they could easily gain in value as well, and certainly will not lose value. Thus they are a hedge against inflation, like gold coins.

HTH,

Tom

Leif Hanson
02-04-2005, 12:19 PM
E =export model

I don't really know what that means, though... from mjdtools auction site, a description includes:

"For some reason that has yet to be documented, examples of the Stanley No. 45 combination plane exported to the British Isles are imprinted with the number designation "45 E". They are functionally equivalent to their American equivalent in every way. That they were in some way modified so as to accommodate those accustomed to driving on the left side of the road is one possible reason, but it is so ridiculous that we will not raise it here."

HTH
Leif

Edit - Tom beat me to it!!

Roger Nixon
02-04-2005, 12:33 PM
Hi Geoff,
I believe the E designates this plane was for export to England. It sounds like a wonderful find! #45's are pretty common over here but it is not common to find one that is complete . I've had a couple that were complete except for the instruction book and screwdriver but those two items make yours considerably more valuable. I have no idea what the market is like over there but that is a very reasonable price here in the States.
Is the box paper, metal or wood?
It is fashionable in some circles to bash multiplanes like the #45 but it really works well as a plow plane and it is very handy to perform other tasks for which you don't have a dedicated plane. Don't pay any attention to the nay-sayers! :)
Congratulations!

PS: Wow! 2 posters beat me to it as I was writing!

Chris Thompson
02-04-2005, 1:31 PM
Was, perhaps, the E made up north in Canuckia? It might have changed export/import tarriffs if it was within the Commonwealth.

Louis Bois
02-04-2005, 1:47 PM
If memory serves me correctly, you're not too far off the mark Chris. I believe it's a type 20 plane, not unlike the Canadian Roxton Pond version and comes in a wooden box with the exact same labelling as the Type 20 except for the E designation. I'm going by memory on this one, so I'm probably botching it up.

I've got Dave Heckel's book at home which references all the different types as well as info on specifics for each one. If I really messed up, I'll correct the information when I get home tonight!

In the meantime, check out this link...it's an informative site hosted by Stan Faullin...

http://www.tooltrip.com/tooltrip8/

under "stanley tools", "combination planes", in the 45 column, go to "boxes" and pick wooden boxes...scroll to the bottom of the page and there's a photo of a 45E box...

Geoff Irvine
02-04-2005, 2:40 PM
Thank you very much guys ... looks identical to the type 15 pictured in that link quoted by Louis.
Well I got well and truely sprung on this one - "Where did that come from? How much did you pay for that..."nasty horrible words that I won't expose connoisseurs of quality craftsmanship to - far too traumatic" ?" Luckily I have a cousin back home in Australia who also is a toolrat sorry tool connoisseur and who sends me the odd tool (or so I tell the wife). http://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/wink.gif I will post this reply as I seem to be having problems posting the photos and try that seperately.
By the way the box is a walnut colour and looking at another picture on Louis's link is missing the internal diagonal piece of wood.

Geoff Irvine
02-04-2005, 3:00 PM
This is the third attempt at this - almost send a guy to take up a craft/hobby/profession that didn't involve electrons.
Having major problems downloading files- go to manage attachments then browse then to files (even via a shortcut I placed on desktop) , open but when I go to upload popup says files "have no data" . Apart from the obvious cure of propelling this thing through the window what is going on. I have downloaded the pictures multiple times and can call them up on the computer.

Tyler Howell
02-04-2005, 3:19 PM
The Police are only appeased by pix and human sacrifice:mad::p . I've heard some good ones today. "get my wife to show me":rolleyes: ???? Come on Geoff
How about use the browser and go right to the pic file rather than make a short cut. Not a wizard but a short cut is just that it is not a picture it just points the way.Or copy the pic and paste to the desk top. Good luck.

You get A+ for effort and inventive excuses:D :D.

Tom LaRussa
02-04-2005, 3:50 PM
Edit - Tom beat me to it!!
Yeah, but only because you shared the link to MJD Tools a couple weeks ago. :D

Tom LaRussa
02-04-2005, 3:56 PM
The Police are only appeased by pix and human sacrifice:mad::p . I've heard some good ones today. "get my wife to show me":rolleyes: ???? Come on Geoff
How about use the browser and go right to the pic file rather than make a short cut. Not a wizard but a short cut is just that it is not a picture it just points the way.Or copy the pic and paste to the desk top. Good luck.

You get A+ for effort and inventive excuses:D :D.
He's ba-ack... :(

And he's got his attitude with him! :D

Geoff Irvine
02-04-2005, 4:17 PM
http://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/eek.gifI thank my lucky stars that there is a little bit of water between myself and the rest of you now that Tyler Howell has got onto this thread of mine.I only hope it is wide enough.http://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/frown.gifhttp://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/smile.gif I thought the shortcut was a link to the desktop - the pictures are there (honest governor) but I keep getting told that the file is empty- a bit like my head.
OK now I understand- I hadn't exported the files from picasa to the desktop -hey Tyler this is the first time I've done this and its hard... ask me to do an excision arthroplasty no problems , this stuff... my brain aches. Now with reference to the human sacrifice ???

Louis Bois
02-04-2005, 9:10 PM
Well, I looked it up in David Heckel's book...hope this isn't a copyright infringement...and it's actually a Type 21 plane, circa 1938. It's one of the most scarce 45's out there. It has some features of the type 15, which would explain your previous post.

Most of the differences reside in the cutter boxes...paper colour, fasteners, etc...Your box is actually brown-stained poplar...which places the plane about the middle of it's production run. It's pretty close to the #20 I recently acquired...here are a few pics...to appease the pix police!!!

All in all Geoff, I'd say you've got yourself a great plane there. Congratulations!!!

ps...I highly recommend Dave's book if you have even a slight interest in 45's.

Geoff Irvine
02-05-2005, 4:04 AM
Thank you all for your trouble - it is much appreciated.
I think you are right Louis I will have to get that book. By the way that No20 you have looks amazing- did you clean it up or is that the way it came? If you did clean it up what did you use? This one has been used, not too much but enough to leave a resinous deposit on a few parts. I don't want to damage the surface but at the same time this will be a user and want to maintain it in good condition.
Thanks again folks.