PDA

View Full Version : Bluebell of Happiness (Revised)

David DeCristoforo
05-04-2011, 8:28 PM
This is 4" across at the rim and 13" tall. The "cup" is maple burl and the base/pedestal is ebonized rosewood.

This piece combines some of the elements I have been playing with (or stumbled into) over the last year. The "cup" is a variation on the "bulb and bell" form I have, for better or for worse, become enamored of. This one has an elongated "bulb" and a shorter "bell", pretty much the reverse of the previous ones.

The last time (or is that the first time?) I reached for the blue dye and slapped it on a piece of maple burl it was a spur of the moment "flyer" that I got lucky with. This time around, I at least had an idea of what to expect and the process was much more controlled and intentional.

The pedestal stem and base incorporate the "trumpet" design that, on the last one, I resorted to as another "bail out". Also the ball detail at the top of the stem, a separate piece of maple burl finished to match the cup, again in (hopefully) a bit more technically refined form.

As usual, I was much more excited about this while I was making it than I am now that it is done. Seems to be the way it goes. Already thinking about the next one!

I added a new pic below. Much better image and a revised detail...

Nate Davey
05-04-2011, 8:32 PM
Beautifully done David. I really like your base on this and the last one. Simple yet very elegant. Beautiful job on the dye as well, the ball looks like the planet Earth.

Roger Chandler
05-04-2011, 8:41 PM
Exquisite! Even though the bulb is elongated, it is still a great form, and is beautifully done. The coloration is striking with the lighter streaks, and I like the ball in the pedestal as well. Distinctly DeCristoforo! Bravo!

David, can you size your pics to show more detail? This one does not let me get close enough to see the figure very well in the wood...........just wondering.

Lee Koepke
05-04-2011, 8:45 PM
fabulous job with the dye.

I think that would look awesome in person.

Dick Wilson
05-04-2011, 8:49 PM
David, Ya know, you are getting kinda good at those ;);):D. Beautiful piece. I am playing around with a piece trying to decide what style finial I want on it. One thing that becomes very evident very quickly is that you gotta have darn good tool control and you have it.

Cathy Schaewe
05-04-2011, 8:49 PM
Wow. Can I say that again?
Wow. and again.
Wow.

Your pieces really appeal to me - a pic of this one will join the pic of the HF I think of as the peacock on my wall in the shop -

Wow. Gorgeous.

(I guess I don't need to say it again...)

Jim Burr
05-04-2011, 9:00 PM
Really cool DD!!! The bell is not something for me...but the rest is over the top! Another WoW cover in the making!

David E Keller
05-04-2011, 9:46 PM
Looks good to me! The blue dyed maple burl is killer looking... I love how the bits of cream and brown refuse to turn blue. I really like everything about this piece. On a future version of this, I wonder what a little bead detail at the junction of bulb and bell would look like? Just wonderin'.

John Hart
05-04-2011, 9:52 PM
Yeah...A Wow from this side of the planet too. My word....the whole thing is an entire conversation all its own.

something odd about the picture though....like an optical illusion that creates a tilt between the stem and the body. It's making my eyes go crossed!!

John Keeton
05-04-2011, 10:02 PM
I see the "tilt" as well, but I think it is the light source from the left side that is blurring the defined left edge. David, you do a wonderful job on these, and while I personally do not care for this form, it is extremely well done! Very high fashion, and very classy. The "new" stem design is better IMO. Great work!!

Kathy Marshall
05-04-2011, 10:09 PM
Beautifully done David! I really love how the dye job turned out and the pedestal is outstanding as usual.

David DeCristoforo
05-04-2011, 10:16 PM
There is a bad distortion in the image. I need to re-shoot this from farther away. I think I was zoomed in too close trying to "crop" the image in the camera rather than on the computer. Something else has been bothering me about this and I just realized, looking at it again, that the transition piece between the little ball and the bottom of the cup is all wrong. I just finished turning a new one that follows the line of the cup better. Probably won't be able to swap it out till tomorrow but then I'll reshoot it.

Don Alexander
05-04-2011, 10:20 PM
next thing ya know David will be putting his house on a pedestal :D:D:D:D

Bernie Weishapl
05-04-2011, 10:45 PM
David another beautiful piece. I really like the color and the form is top notch.

David DeCristoforo
05-04-2011, 11:32 PM
"...next thing ya know David will be putting his house on a pedestal..."

Shhhhhhh... quiet! Don't give him any ideas. Wats wrong wit chew?!?!

Art Manansala
05-04-2011, 11:43 PM
Beautiful piece. I really like the dye work and elegant lines.

Brian Effinger
05-05-2011, 12:04 AM
Stunningly beautiful, and others have said, an elegant form. Well done.

Michelle Rich
05-05-2011, 4:46 AM
You are becoming instantly recognizable. If I had seen this anywhere else, I would know it's a DD..I like very much the experimentation you are doing with the cups/bulbs. Your shapes are becoming quite interesting. I tire of "normal" copied & repeated into infinity. Your attempts are always a breath of fresh air. Fabulous.

philip labre
05-05-2011, 6:49 AM
Another great piece, David!

Tim Thiebaut
05-05-2011, 7:49 AM
Very beautiful piece David, and your bases/stems are just incredible!

bob svoboda
05-05-2011, 9:00 AM
Another very nice piece, David.

Quinn McCarthy
05-05-2011, 9:44 AM
pretty piece Dave.

Love the base.

Quinn

Baxter Smith
05-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Looks pretty blue from here. Pretty pretty too!

jwjerry w kowalski
05-05-2011, 4:24 PM
David, another outstanding piece, I'm jumping up and down in my chair looking at it, everything is so perfect, the pedestal with a perfect accent ball, the form, the dye, and the overall proportions, absolutely outstanding!

David DeCristoforo
05-05-2011, 4:58 PM
Thanx again to all for the very kind comments. Two "issues" have been addressed. I mentioned that I was not very happy with the flow between the bulb and the top of the pedestal. Last night I made a new cap for the pedestal and today I got time to break down the piece and replace it. I am much happier with the flow between the pedestal and the bulb now. Also, there was some bad distortion in the image I posted. Here is a new pic with the camera raised a bit and "zoomed back". Seems that I have to learn to be a photographer as well as a turner! I can hear Jamie D already...

John Hart
05-05-2011, 6:02 PM
Wow...that is an improvement, to an already wonderful piece. Amazing how a little change can make such a difference in flow. Nicely done sir.

John W Dixon
05-05-2011, 6:19 PM
Not sure what it is that I like but all I can say for sure is I like it!

Dan Forman
05-05-2011, 6:29 PM
Another stunner David. I like the change in the cup. I wasn't so sure about the forms in the beginning, but have definitely warmed to them.

Dan

David DeCristoforo
05-05-2011, 8:38 PM
"...I wasn't so sure about the forms in the beginning, but have definitely warmed to them..."

Funny... that's exactly what happened to me! When i posted the first one of these I was thinking it looked like a spittoon. Then someone said "spitoon on a stick". At that point I was not at all sure of this whole "bulb and bell form" thing. But it has grown on me and now I am getting to like it a lot so there will probably be more variations to come...

David E Keller
05-05-2011, 9:12 PM
Nice change to an already lovely form. As John said, it's pretty amazing what a difference small changes can make to a piece.

Ron Stadler
05-05-2011, 9:20 PM
Wow, that one is really, really nice David. The stem is beautiful and the the base is just perfect for my eyes. All that along with the beautiful top, and finish, very nice.

Steve Schlumpf
05-05-2011, 9:31 PM
Wow - another beauty David! Really am liking the new form - kinda a Daffodil effect and just different enough to leave an impression that sticks with you! Also like your use of color as it adds some dimension to the wood. Your rework to the top of the pedestal sure made a difference to the form! Very nice flow to it!

Looking forward to seeing your next variation on this theme! Seriously - nice work!

David DeCristoforo
05-05-2011, 10:34 PM
"Really am liking the new form - kinda a Daffodil effect..."

That's just what my wife said. In fact, it's mostly because she liked the form that I have kept at it! Thanx for the comments. And thanx again to everyone who took the time to have a look...

Dan Forman
05-06-2011, 4:12 AM
Being a gardener, I saw the daffodil connection early on. Today however, it triggered another memory, and gave me an idea for a future project which bears no relation to such things. Might be a while, but I'll remind you about it if it comes to fruition.

Dan

David Reed
05-06-2011, 9:02 AM
I first saw this on WOW and instantly recognized the artist. I very much enjoy the forms of the modified 'spittoons on a stick' you have produced and wish to see more. Equal to the lovely form though is the stunning dye work and how the grain plays with the dye, allowing deep penetration in some areas and very little in others. The dyed burl looks much like an exotic polished stone. The pedestal, I think, is more pleasing with this form than your bell pedestals. As usual, the execution is flawless.

John Keeton
05-06-2011, 12:05 PM
David, the transition area is a significantly improved look!! And, of course, the pic is much better, as well. I will have to admit - the form is growing on me. As I said before, regardless of my personal taste, this is a wonderfully done piece, executed like the master you are!

David DeCristoforo
05-06-2011, 12:45 PM
"...the transition area is...significantly improved..."

Well if the truth be told, it was looking again at your recent "Harvest Moon" piece that tipped me off to what was wrong with mine. The thing I like best about that piece is how the pedestal is almost a continuation of the form it supports but with just enough of a break to define the two elements. That's very sweet!

Bill Wyko
05-06-2011, 1:17 PM
David, thzat is spectacular. An incredibly wonderful combination of form, color & finish. I may have to try something like this. I almost never use stain or dye but this really has my interest. Great job.

David DeCristoforo
05-06-2011, 9:31 PM
Thanx Bill. I have always admired your fine humidors and segmented pieces.