View Full Version : Help identifying a #4

keith micinski
05-04-2011, 7:00 PM
The plane dating flow chart says this is a 15 except the made in USA is supposed to be behind the frog like it is in the first one. Can anyone help me with this.

Jim Koepke
05-04-2011, 8:12 PM
A single item of identification seldom tells the whole story.

Without seeing the lever cap, the area behind the frog and maybe even the lateral adjuster, I wouldn't make a guess.

The knob looks to be painted black instead of rosewood. That could be the lighting and exposure. Then again, it could be a plane made during WW II. Then all bets are really off.

Looked at your other post:

The plane also has a kidney shaped hole in the lever cap. This would move it to type 16. The shape of the frog also indicates type 16.

Type 14 had "MADE IN U.S.A." cast into the bed at the toe.

You may have a plane made up of parts from different planes. No big deal.

jtk

Greg Wease
05-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Could be my aging eyes but there appear to be two different planes in your photos. The photo of the bed is a Type 14.

Bill Rittner
05-05-2011, 3:35 PM
Stanley, like any other manufacturer used up all parts before using the newly changed parts. There are many planes in the wild with parts from several different types. Also, over the years parts broke or were worn out and replacement parts were not necessarily exactly like the originals. Sometimes this makes determining a planes exacr type difficult at best.

keith micinski
05-05-2011, 5:55 PM
I figured it was mismatched parts but wasn't sure.