PDA

View Full Version : Corel X3 help

Abdul Baseer Hai
05-04-2011, 6:45 PM
I have been asked to create a small 20 page brochure in Corel X3.(or MS Word)
I don't know how.
Somebody please help. (Step by step instructions will be welcome)
The brochure will have text, pictures and advertisements, laid out as per the clients specs.
This is a charitable organization that has asked me for help.
I am not charging them anything

abdul

Dee Gallo
05-04-2011, 7:49 PM
Abdul,

This is a whole subject unto itself, but here is a VERY short summary:
1. Create a CD document with 10 pages, landscape orientation. I recommend leaving 1/4 inch border around all edges, which means 1/2" in the middle where the fold goes. Make guidelines so all pages match. If you mean 20 pages PLUS cover, you have to add one more for 11 pages.
2. Take 10 pieces of paper and fold them in half, then number them by hand, labeling the front cover inside and out as well as back cover inside and out. Put them back together as a booklet and use this dummy to set up your document.
3. In CD, label each page according to your dummy book. This will help you keep track of things.
4. now you can design and lay out each page as needed.

I usually bind my booklets with a simple cord going through two holes poked through the middle seam.
Good luck! dee

Abdul Baseer Hai
05-04-2011, 8:29 PM
Thank you, Dee.
You are an angel.
This is a very good beginning. I will start working and nudge you again if i get bogged down
Two questions:
--do I use CMYK or RGB fills
and
How do I put in the cross hair registration marks for the printing bureau.
Thanks again

Dee Gallo
05-04-2011, 9:22 PM
There is a "prepare for service bureau" option under the FILE menu, if your printer uses Corel Draw. If not, you'll have to make a pasteup which requires some more work:
1. make the document about a half inch bigger than the actual booklet all around
2. indicate hairline guidelines in non-photo blue and cutting cropmarks with red crosses
3. indicate a fold line with a dashed non-photo blue line down the middle of the fold
4. send them the dummy too, so they know what you want.
This should be on every page you send them. Outside the crop marks, you can make notes to the printer in RED if you have something to tell him. NOTHING else should be on the page. All printed matter should be in black, even if you want it printed with another color. Color separation is another whole thing. If your art is colored, you will have to learn how to send that correctly. This is a whole profession unto itself, Abdul.

Attached is a simple example of what a pasteup looks like. Each page should also have the job name on it, and how many pages are included (1/10, etc.)

Let's hope for your sake they use CDraw! It is so much easier for you to click "Prepare for Service Bureau" and the program will collect everything needed including fonts and make color seps. and make a pdf for you too.

cheers, dee

Larry Bratton
05-04-2011, 9:27 PM
Abdul,
If you know who your printer is going to be, I suggest you speak with him and ask for his requirements. I suspect he may want the document created in CMYK but a lot of printing processes now use the wider gamut RGB color space. Best to ask and go from there. Under File find the Prepare for Service Bureau wizard. That should be of help to you. Good luck with it.

Looks like Dee might have done this before for sure, so she is giving you good advice.

Abdul Baseer Hai
05-04-2011, 9:38 PM
Yes, the printer uses Corel.
Let me work on it for a few days and I'll get back to you.
You have given me a lot of valuable information which my feeble mind will take a few days to process.
With your help, I am sure I can get through this.
Thanks again

Abdul Baseer Hai
05-04-2011, 10:58 PM
Thanks.
I'll talk to the printer tomorrow and take it from there.
i have started creating the document in CMYK, just to be safe.
Thanks again

Abdul Baseer Hai
05-04-2011, 11:00 PM
what is non-photo blue???

Dee Gallo
05-04-2011, 11:09 PM
what is non-photo blue???

It's a specific light blue which will not photograph under normal circumstances, like the blue lines on grid paper. If you xerox or photograph it, it disappears unless it is really thick or heavy. So you don't have to erase these guidelines, which is handy for pasteup work, as it is used for placing copy and art plus erasing commonly leaves traces which WILL show in photos.