PDA

View Full Version : Need some guidance

Ed Morgano
05-04-2011, 12:49 PM
A while ago I made a segmented vase. I cut the parts out on my CNC and had the waste piece left. (shown right of the vase.) I've glued them up and now i'm going to attempt making a bowl.

I bought a Robert Sorby 3/8" Bowl gouge pictured below.

So, Here is my question.....actually I have more than one. First, am I flirting with disaster with the way I'm going about this? Is a 3/8" bowl gouge the right tool to use inside and out? This piece is about 6" diameter and 6" long. I did a glueup for the base and have the piece chucked on a 1 1/4" piece of walnut. Is there anything I need to watch out for using the gouge? I've never used one before and really don't have a clue. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Scott Hackler
05-04-2011, 1:33 PM
Ed, that 3/8" Sorby bowl gouge it my "go to" tool and it gets used A LOT. I wouldn't have any problem turning every aspet of this "bowl to be" with that tool. Now I will conceed that I hone the edges all the time and dont use the tool straight off the grinder, but that it just me. I prefer a super sharp tool. I even use this gouge as a scraper by turning it on its side! Light cuts until round and then I would have that lathe turned up around the 1400rpm range and make a cool looking bowl. (keep in mind that I like and am confortable turning at that and faster speeds.

Scott Hackler
05-04-2011, 1:37 PM
Ed, I just checked your pictures again and have a couple questions.

1) did your make that wooden lathe???? How about some photos of that lathe and its internals.

2) I would be a bit leary hollowing that vessel out if that small diameter dowel is the only thing attached to the lathe. I would suggest turning that round bottom down into a tenon for the chuck. The torque on that dude is going to launch off that small dowel, IMO.

Tim Thiebaut
05-04-2011, 1:45 PM
Scott, he posted the build on his wooden lathe a while ago, here is his thread...it is WAY cool! Tim

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?157754-A-wooden-wood-lathe-my-4th-or-5th-model

Scott Hackler
05-04-2011, 1:47 PM
Thanks Tim, I missed it the first time around.

David E Keller
05-04-2011, 2:38 PM
Congrats on the new tool, Ed! I'll echo Scott's concern about the chucking method... A tenon in the chuck or wasteblock/faceplate would make things safer IMO. As for the 'right' tool, I think the bowl gouge is a good choice, but there are a number of ways to hack into that hunk of wood. I'd give it a try... If it feels wrong, try something else.

Looks like it's gonna be a pretty piece when it's finished.

Ed Morgano
05-04-2011, 2:47 PM
Thanks guys. I've already been up in the shop hacking away. The outside was no problem but quite frankly the inside scares me, no matter how it's chucked. I guess if I were starting off with a blank to get the feel of it I would be better off. So far, the only thing I've put to the inside is my parting tool to do a little bit of hollowing. I'm just afraid of hanging that bowel gouge off the tool rest 6". I guess it's just a lack of experience but I'm choked up here. I'll be back later with a report. Thanks again for the feedback.

David E Keller
05-04-2011, 2:56 PM
Can you adjust your toolrest to extend into the opening? That may help alleviate some of the overhang. I agree that 6" is a lot of hang for a 3/8 gouge.

Ed Morgano
05-04-2011, 3:03 PM
David,
The bowl is too small to get the tool rest inside very much. Because it's made from wood, I made it a lot bulkier that a steel tool rest needs to be. I might have to re-think this wooden wood lathe.

Dennis Ford
05-04-2011, 7:08 PM
I tend to like home-made tools and like your lathe a lot. Do not give up on it.
I see two problems here:
* That chuck is designed for holding metal, a wood turning chuck or a faceplate would be a better choice.
* Hollowing that deep with a bowl gouge is for experienced turners only. Since you made the lathe, it should be easy to make a straight hollowing tool. Start with a steel rod about 5/8" dia (18 - 20 inches long) and drill an axial hole in one end (1/4" dia hole ~ 1" deep) to hold a cutting tool. Drill and tap another hole for a set-screw to secure the cutting tool. Make the cutting tool from a broken 1/4" drill bit (use the part with no flutes) or use 3/16" square HSS tool bit blank. Next put a handle on the other end of the 5/8" rod and try it out.

Ed Morgano
05-04-2011, 7:31 PM
QUOTE=Dennis Ford;1697443]I tend to like home-made tools and like your lathe a lot. Do not give up on it.
I see two problems here:
* That chuck is designed for holding metal, a wood turning chuck or a faceplate would be a better choice.
* Hollowing that deep with a bowl gouge is for experienced turners only. Since you made the lathe, it should be easy to make a straight hollowing tool. Start with a steel rod about 5/8" dia (18 - 20 inches long) and drill an axial hole in one end (1/4" dia hole ~ 1" deep) to hold a cutting tool. Drill and tap another hole for a set-screw to secure the cutting tool. Make the cutting tool from a broken 1/4" drill bit (use the part with no flutes) or use 3/16" square HSS tool bit blank. Next put a handle on the other end of the 5/8" rod and try it out.[/QUOTE]

Denis,
Thanks for the advice. The cutting tool makes sense. So far, I used a parting tool and put a longer handle on it. That got be a little ways down the road but a new tool seems to be in order.