PDA

View Full Version : John K / Finial Mentor

Dick Wilson
05-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Well John, when I need sage advice who else would I call, not the Ghost Busters, but you. The base and finial are not glued yet. I am questioning the finial IE: the size. What do ya think?193601

Scott Hackler
05-04-2011, 1:45 PM
Dick, I wont comment on the size of the finial as you asked for John's advise...but I would like to offer an insight on the project as a whole.

This vessel has a very striking color and stands out on it's own very easily, but I think that the finial and pedestal color (being bold as well) is almost overkill. I like the overall look but I would like to see the gold tamed down a bit. You could do this by patina-ing the gold by dry brushing (lightly) black or brown paint. This would only hit the high spots and give visual interest while toning down the boldness of the gold.

Just an opinion.

Dick Wilson
05-04-2011, 1:59 PM
Dick, I wont comment on the size of the finial as you asked for John's advise...but I would like to offer an insight on the project as a whole.

This vessel has a very striking color and stands out on it's own very easily, but I think that the finial and pedestal color (being bold as well) is almost overkill. I like the overall look but I would like to see the gold tamed down a bit. You could do this by patina-ing the gold by dry brushing (lightly) black or brown paint. This would only hit the high spots and give visual interest while toning down the boldness of the gold.

Just an opinion.

Scott, I like your opinion. I never thought of that.:cool::cool: Hmmmmm Sooooo many color possibilites. Now I am really in a quandry:confused::confused::confused:

I should have invited everyone else to comment on the finial - an oversight. Rip er up guys:D:D:D

John Keeton
05-04-2011, 2:08 PM
Dick, I echo Scott's comments on the gold being somewhat overpowering. In addition, I would add these comments. Finials typically are meant to be subordinate to the form, thus less noticeable and a compliment to the main player - the form. However, as Cindy Drozda has shown with her finial box, the finial itself can be the main player. But, in those situations, the form is rather bland - both in figure and color. The color you have used on the form doesn't say bland.

Now to your only real question - the size. Again, just like a black outfit is slimming, so goes color on a finial. Were this same finial black, it would appear much smaller, or less massive. Nonetheless, I think the size is OK with the form, but I would prefer the base to have more visible mass than the finial - in nearly every instance. That isn't the case here. So, as compared to the form, the finial is OK. But, overall, the base appears disproportionately small - IMO, and everyone has at least one!!

Were it me, I would tone down the finial, with the gold being the lesser of the ultimate color. Personally, black would be my choice for the principle tone of the finial. Then, create a little more flared base with legs extending out past the upper portion of the base - toned to match the finial.

David E Keller
05-04-2011, 2:29 PM
Looks like a cool project... Definitely not a shy piece with all that color! I agree with the idea that the finial is a bit visually large, and the whole piece feels a bit top heavy. I know you've got a fair bit of time in that finial already, but I'm not sure that toning it down in color is enough... I think it may be a bit large for the form. I love the look of spiral finials, but they seem very tricky to balance with their respective forms... That's one of the main reasons that I've held off on trying them. Kudos to you for sticking it out there!

John's idea to flare the base out further will really help balance the piece IMO.

I'm glad you posted this... I always learn something from the suggestions that others make about the possible changes to a given piece. I think it's this kind of exchange that makes this site such a great resource for all of us.

Dick Wilson
05-04-2011, 3:08 PM
Thanks everyone. When I am done for the day I will sit and look at the piece over my tin cup of bourbon.;);) What you have suggested kind of falls in line with what I was thinking. I was toying with the idea of a solid black lacquer base and finial. As far as spending the time to totally redo the base and finial.....a mornings work. Big deal. The time is well spent to get all the elements spot on. Thanks again.

PS - if I decide to totally redo the base and finial these will go in my parts box for possible future use on another project. DO NOT THROW ANYTHING AWAY!!!! YOU WOULD BE SURPRISED HOW OFTEN YOU WILL FIND JUST THE RIGHT PART FOR SOMETHING:D:D:D

Jamie Donaldson
05-04-2011, 3:10 PM
The fact that you shot this image with flash has given the gold elements more emphasis than they would have had in an ambient light setting. I suggest that the gold elements are a bit oversized in proportion to this vessel form, but the idea is very good.

Dick Wilson
05-04-2011, 4:38 PM
Hi Jamie, How is your basement??? Last I heard from you you had some water coming in. I think I am going to play around with a couple of different base/finial designs. Like I said earlier, I am in no rush and if I don't like them I have plenty of room in my parts boxes. Thanks for the suggestion. Dick.

Jamie Donaldson
05-04-2011, 10:41 PM
This morning was the 3rd time to dry out the shop/basement/studio in the last 2 wks. Enough rain already!

Bernie Weishapl
05-04-2011, 10:51 PM
Dick I will echo the comments. I think the finial is a bit oversized for the piece and Jamie may be right that the flash makes the gold overpowering.

Dick Wilson
05-05-2011, 2:51 PM

Just an opinion.

Hi Scott, I did what you suggested and I like the look. That is what I am going with. Thanks.

Scott Hackler
05-05-2011, 9:43 PM
Got to see the updated pics!!!!