PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations - Chisels and Planes

Dustin Brown
05-04-2011, 10:01 AM
So I'm getting more into woodworking and I'm starting to look at some hand planes and chisels. Looking for some recommendations on what sizes I need to start. Also which brands/models to look at, preferably something that will cut decent but not break the bank. I'm guessing I need a small block plane and a medium sized hand plane to start, though I really don't know much about any of them, especially blade angles.

I will also need a decent set of chisels, a rasp, and a scraper I guess. Maybe a spokeshave?

Finally, I will need a setup to sharpen everything. No expensive machines, maybe an inexpensive wet stone setup?

Thanks

john brenton
05-04-2011, 10:07 AM
I don't have an opinion on the tools, but I do opine that you shouldn't scrimp on the stones. I'm a big fan of the Norton water stones myself, and a 4000/8000 runs about $70. If I were you I'd learn about using sandpaper/sanding belts on glass for the lower grits (200-1000) and use the Norton to get the keen edge that makes woodworking fun.

Finally, I will need a setup to sharpen everything. No expensive machines, maybe an inexpensive wet stone setup?

Thanks

Andrew Pitonyak
05-04-2011, 11:53 AM
The usual advice is to allow the project define the tools. Meaning, purchase tools when you know that you need them. Purchasing a bunch of stuff and then finding out you want to work a different way is, well, annoying and wasteful.

You do know that you need to sharpen. Personally, I like diamond plates because they are fast. I started with sandpaper, not expensive to start and then I added some diamond plates and wet stones. Oh, and I own a Tormek, great Machine.

You want chisels? What will you do with them? I will say that if you intend to cut a mortise, I was told to buy the size that I needed, so, I should not buy metric chisels if I intend to cut a 1/4" mortise. Lee Valley has Narex mortise chisels at a good price.

I have some stanley chisels that I picked up from target on sale, and I can safely say that you would NEVER want to pare with them. Trying to cut my first set of dovetails by hand in Maple, and you want an appropriate chisel for that. I won't bother with the brands for those, just pointing out the what.

My first hand plane was a Lie Nielsen because so many people scared me with respect to what I needed to do before I could use a plane (flatten the sole, etc). I was able to use the Lie Nielsen out of the box. Since then, I have owned many hand planes, and I finally dumped most of my stanleys and replaced them with Lie Nielsen. I did, however, just buy an old #5 on ebay that I will use as a junker plane. I know one expert that claims to prefer the old stanleys. You just need to learn to sharpen them. If the blade is not sharp...

Do you need a hand plane? Well, what will you do with it? That will help with your decisions. The usual advice seems to be "buy a #5" because it is kind of a do all plane.

Dustin Brown
05-04-2011, 4:07 PM
I plan to use the chisels for shaving down a dovetail on a guitar neck as well as cutting notches and leveling slight overhangs/protruding wood mainly just general use. I will also be shaping bracing for an acoustic guitar. The different chisels on the lee valley site are a little confusing. Would the narex mortise chisels serve me well or should I get something like a set of butt chisels?

As for the planes, I was going to use some sort of block plane for general material removal, such as taking material off the top of a neck block to make it flush with the edge of the sides. The hand plane I don't really know a use for, just figured there was a good one to have.

I may just start with sandpaper, a granite tile, and a rolling angle jig for the chisels and plane blade. Is there a certain stone that is needed anyway to refine the final edge for a good cut? I know you need some sort of block to level your stones with, is there a good economical one to go for? Lastly, I want to try and get into scrapers as well. Is there anything special needed to sharpen them? Maybe something I could sharpen all 3 with to save money?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks for bearing with me!

john brenton
05-04-2011, 4:17 PM
You can't go wrong with a good set of bench chisels...although there are a few sizes in my 6 chisel set that rarely see any use. I would get the best quality that that you can afford.

You can check ebay for the ibex luthier's planes that show up...I really screwed up and missed the final seconds on a set of three that wen't for something like $80.

Here's an AWESOME site for anyone building guitars: http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/resr7g3w//

This will pretty much explain everything about sharpening, including card scrapers:
http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/resr7g3w//chapter0/chapter0.htm

I plan to use the chisels for shaving down a dovetail on a guitar neck as well as cutting notches and leveling slight overhangs/protruding wood mainly just general use. I will also be shaping bracing for an acoustic guitar. The different chisels on the lee valley site are a little confusing. Would the narex mortise chisels serve me well or should I get something like a set of butt chisels?

As for the planes, I was going to use some sort of block plane for general material removal, such as taking material off the top of a neck block to make it flush with the edge of the sides. The hand plane I don't really know a use for, just figured there was a good one to have.

I may just start with sandpaper, a granite tile, and a rolling angle jig for the chisels and plane blade. Is there a certain stone that is needed anyway to refine the final edge for a good cut? I know you need some sort of block to level your stones with, is there a good economical one to go for? Lastly, I want to try and get into scrapers as well. Is there anything special needed to sharpen them? Maybe something I could sharpen all 3 with to save money?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks for bearing with me!

john davey
05-04-2011, 4:50 PM
There are many choices for chisels these days. When I started the Marples Blue Chips were the recommended starter set. Now people seem to recommend buying better quality right away and learn to sharpen and use them. I now have the blue chips and a bunch of Ebay / flea market finds that serve me well. Someone else will chime in on the higher end stuff. I also am very happy with a pair of Stanley 60 1/2 block planes. For sharpening I use the king 1000 and 8000 stones with good results. John

Jim Belair
05-04-2011, 5:20 PM
Hi Dustin

See this thread (link below) and review the sections on planes, chisels and sharpening (and others) for some great background info on helping you make your decision. Come back and ask specific questions if you need to.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?103805-Neanderthal-wisdom-FAQs

Andrew Pitonyak
05-04-2011, 6:24 PM
Would the narex mortise chisels serve me well or should I get something like a set of butt chisels?

The chisels I mentioned were for creating a mortise, so certainly not. You mention nothing about how much you want to spend. Here are a few general possibilities:

For paring, I like a long handle. Lie Nielsen has very nice paring chisels:
http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?grp=1234

Oh, who knew.... Narex has bevel edged chisels. The nice thing about the bevel edge (yes, the Lie Nielsen above have a beveled edge) is that it is easier to get into corners on say a dove tail.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=49989&cat=1,41504,43500&ap=1

Notice that the butt chisels have a short handle which makes is more difficult for paring (at least for me).

A skew chisel does an even better job of getting into the corner, but a small chisel can also be used and you can see if you will really use them
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=47806&cat=1,41504

Have not tried these: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=46403&cat=1,41504

I have this set by Pfeil, but, the four piece set for about $109 would probably get you started.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2000300/22625/pfeil-Swiss-made-Chisel-Boxed-Set-6-piece.aspx

Lee Valley and Lie Nielsen are top notch if you want to spend the money.

Scrapers are cheap and you sharpen them on a rod. You can buy the rod, or, I have seen people use screw drivers to do it. I have not used one so I cannot comment.

You can probably even start a jig out of a piece of wood and try to learn to simply hold the blade as needed. If you have fine enough sand paper, that will suffice to start. If you can find a piece of vegetable tanned leather you can use it to strop your blades.

Could add more, but need to run. If possible, find someone in your area to show you. Wish I had been able to do that....

Jim Koepke
05-04-2011, 8:54 PM
Dustin,

Your profile doesn't show your location. You may live close to another member who would let you test drive some of their tools to give you an idea how they work and feel.

You may also have a tool show coming to your area that would let you give a few tools a spin.

For guitar making, you may want a completely different set of tools than someone like me who makes furniture and craft items.

jtk

Danny Burns
05-05-2011, 9:36 AM
Scary Sharp is about the best and cheapest option for anyone just starting out without a lot of money to spend.

As to the question of tools, you can go about it in several ways.
Buy cheap, and run the risk of quitting due to frustration, or to later place them on e-bay to try a recoup some of your money.
Buy moderate, and then as you get deeper into woodworking, upgrade with the e-bay money you get.
Buy one really top notch tool and one moderate tool, or try them out at a fellow woodworker nearby, to see and experience the difference, and skip the e-bay sell.

A plane that has been getting good reviews is the WoodRiver V3 brand, which is the newest version with all the modifications made to it.
It is cheaper than the top-end LV and LN planes, but still moderate in price. Most important thing with planes is to have a great blade in it first and foremost.

For chisels try looking at the new Stanley chisels. They need more work than top-end chisels like LN, but should perform well for someone just starting out.
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/chris-schwarz-blog/setting-up-the-new-stanley-chisels

If you end-up in woodworking for life, then eventually you will amass a collection of top grade tools, so if you want to make a huge commitment at the start, then you can save some time and total expense by just buying top grade tools whenever possible, since that is where you will end-up in the end.

Jim Neeley
05-05-2011, 12:27 PM
FWIW, I've recently picked up a few Rob Cosman DVDs that I've found VERY informative on these topics. Rob has one entitled "Bench Chisels" (~$30) where he goes into what specific features he recommends you look for in bevel-edge and mortise chisels, and how (and when) to sharpen them (showing both grinding and hand-honing) for best results.

I wish I would have viewed it before I jumped in with mine. I originally figured that I'd spent way too long (two long shop days) polishing the backs and sharpening my dozen-plus new L-N/Blue Spruce chisels, in the video I learned that I'd spent about the right amount of time although I probably should have spent a little more time on the backs and less on the faces. If I'd had the DVD before I'd purchased I'd probably have started out with a few less chisels. :D

Since a single L-N chisel (or a small set of cheap chisels) can sell for twice the cost of the DVD and either could be a poor choice for you, you might want to consider this DVD

Jim Koepke
05-05-2011, 8:10 PM
Dustin,

Asking someone like me what chisel or plane to purchase may only help if you were in my shop and had a chance to handle the tools to see if they might fit your need.

The hand planes most often used in my shop could sit unused in yours. One example is with a sharp blade, my #6 is sometimes used like a smoother, other times it is used like a jointer. It is like a big jack to me. Some feel the #6 is a useless size.

For planes, my sentiments tend to suggest get at least one of each:

When it comes to chisels, some sizes are just to useful to only have a couple:

This doesn't show the gouges or even my second drawer chisels:

Most of the chisels in the drawer or not as good as the ones on the bench. There are a few in the drawer that are waiting for handles. They do get used often though, either on rough stuff or on jobs outside the shop.

jtk