PDA

View Full Version : Live and Learn?

Glenn Hodges
02-04-2005, 8:57 AM
Having some difficulty typing, tore off tip of my bird shooting finger on my left hand on a natural edge persimmon bowl day before yesterday, and it is still pretty sensitive. Blood all over the place because I am a good bleeder. With all that blood people get more than just a bowl for their money. Of course it would not have happened if I had kept my finger in the right place. I always say education is an expensive experience. I wonder if I will ever live and learn not to touch a natural edge bowl on the lathe before it stops turning?

Michael Stafford
02-04-2005, 9:10 AM
You should not put so much of yourself into your work, Glenn. :eek: People will never pay you for what you are worth. :D Even worse if a customer decides that they like the unusual stains it could be hazardous to your health. :rolleyes:

Jeff Sudmeier
02-04-2005, 9:22 AM
I thank god that I am not like my Uncle. He can not do any project without bleeding sometime! I decided to grab a hold of an out of round antler pen once.... OUCH! That cut me up bad.... Will you or I ever learn? Nah... then we couldn't brag about our war wounds to the board! :)

Jerry Clark
02-04-2005, 9:56 AM
I pushed a band saw blade back against the guides before it stopped-- I mean, I tried!

Hazzards of being dumb in woodworking!

Gary Max
02-04-2005, 1:36 PM
Just came in to get a cookie and read your post Glenn---Ouch I know that hurt.
There are so many ways to get hurt on a Lathe that you can not count them all.
Like you said just one second makes all the difference.
Oh now that you are done with the first aid---what happened too the piece of wood. Is it still up on the lathe??? Hey someone was going to ask sooner or later.

Glenn Hodges
02-05-2005, 9:11 AM
Thanks for the replys. The bowl is finished now, it took an inordinate amount of time because of sanding all the you know what that soaked into the wood. I posted this to help the new guys learn from my mistake.

John Miliunas
02-05-2005, 9:48 AM
Glenn, I'm certainly very glad it wasn't any worse! :) Yup, on a lathe, especially turning something off center or with a natural edge, "stuff" can happen real quickly!:eek: BUT, the singular most important question remains: Where's the pic of the bowl???!!!:confused: (I can just see Glenn raising his bird shooting finger right about now, bandage and all!:rolleyes: ):) :cool:

keith zimmerman
02-05-2005, 1:59 PM
A quick illustration by Glenn as to why it is so very important to keep the fingers back. Wood and metal are so much harder than skin. Glad it wasn't worse.

keithz

Philip Duffy
02-05-2005, 5:11 PM
Glenn, I usually put some of my DNA on each piece so that 300 years from now the ggggreat grand children will know that their clumsey ancestor did it! Phil

Glenn Hodges
02-07-2005, 6:33 PM
OK, here is the little bugger that might have taught me to keep my finger away from a natural edge bowl when it is moving. It is persimmon, 8 in. wide X 3 1/4 in. high. finished with tung oil, and blood, then buffed.

John Miliunas
02-07-2005, 7:03 PM
Glenn, very nice piece! Well done!:) I can easily see where something like that might bite back! However, you'd best hope future customers don't want the *exact* same finish on theirs!:eek: :) :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
02-07-2005, 7:04 PM
Glenn....beautiful piece!