PDA

View Full Version : To Finial or NOT to Finial, that is the question

Roger Chandler
05-04-2011, 9:22 AM
Okay, here is what I was working on yesterday when I hurt my finger on the grinder......it is NOT finished yet......it has a run in the WOP, and will need wet sanding still....and 2 more coats of finish.

My wife says it does not need a finial......she asked me, "what is up with you and finials, anyway?" I just thought a finial might add some additional elegance to the piece, but she disagrees.

It is plain maple, 10.5 inches high and 5 inches wide +/- - Note the ogee form on the base and the bevel cut [thanks John Hart]

I have an upcoming "show & tell" at our club meeting this Saturday, and need to get this finished......

What is your opinion on this form.......especially as it relates to putting a finial on it? Would it add elegance, or take away from the piece?

Jim Burr
05-04-2011, 9:29 AM
Get the last word in your house and say "Yes Dear" Looks good as is.

Keith E Byrd
05-04-2011, 9:45 AM
I agree with Jim - but I might add Yes dear - wow you have such a great eye for these things.

David DeCristoforo
05-04-2011, 9:49 AM
"My wife...asked me... "what is up with you and finials, anyway?"

There must be something about wives and finials! My wife seems to feel the same way. She calls them "pointy things" or "spires" . The first ones I made had points on the tops, just like most everyone else's finials. But my wife was horrified, having spent most of her life with children around and all she could see was the possibility of someone putting their eye out with one! So I began to top off my finials with balls instead of points and I like that because it's a bit different. But my wife likes the open top forms much better than those that have finials. Maybe it's a thing with guys... they are thinking "spears" or "swords" or.... something. But that cannot really be "it" because the undisputed best finial turner in the world is Cindy Drozda.

Anyway, I don't see how you could add a finial without first adding a lid. That would pretty much alter the "statement" the form makes. So it's gotta be your call. The nice thing is a lid/finial is removable so if you made one and did not like how it worked with your piece, you can simply take it off again...

Roger Chandler
05-04-2011, 9:53 AM
David.........i failed to speak to the lid, but I was thinking a bit of an ogee shape underneath the finial, and both of a contrasting wood. Notice I did the Drozda thing and put a bevel inside the opening for a lid.

Bernie Weishapl
05-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Roger I don't think I would put a finial on it. I think it looks good as is.

Chip Sutherland
05-04-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm with Bernie. No Lid, no Finial. That would give it a distinct urn feel. JMHO.

John Keeton
05-04-2011, 11:17 AM
DD makes an interesting observation regarding wives/females and finials. Ms. Keeton is unimpressed with finials, and most of the women that view my work feel similarly. Given that we men are obviously wrong in our perception, I will carry that error even further.

Whether you do a lid/finial on this form depends on what you hope to achieve. It works without one, and looks very nice. Addition of a lid and finial would raise the form considerably, or should (otherwise it would seem to truncate the form) and in doing so, your shoulder would/could fall at the 2/3 mark. That might make a visual difference. However, if you use a darker wood for the lid, I think it creates a distraction. If you could do a matching lid, with a an ogee that would carry the flow of the form, and then a dark finial, that might work.

Just some rambling thoughts!

Jamie Donaldson
05-04-2011, 11:26 AM
When we add a finial/top to an appropriate form we can then double the price!

Don Alexander
05-04-2011, 11:43 AM
When we add a finial/top to an appropriate form we can then double the
price!

let me see if i got this ..................... seems the ladies aren't particualrly fans of finials and.......
since women tend to be the purchasers of alot of artistic stuff how does that work? :D

personally i don't understand the fascination with finials , while i appreciate the skill it takes and occasionally see one that i like for the most part i'm not a fan as for this particular piece listen to your better half :)

Thom Sturgill
05-04-2011, 12:38 PM
for squat forms like south-western forms, the finial gives a sometimes needed lift to the form. for taller, more urn-like forms, i think it often takes away from the form. If it were mine, and I made a lid, I would probably just go with a knob or ball on the lid. Nice thing about removeable lids, you can make a couple of prototypes to decide what works.

Roger Chandler
05-04-2011, 1:04 PM
Just another thought......I was a bit disappointed with this particular piece of maple.........really plain jane, hardly no figure to speak of, so I had considered a finial as a way to give it a little pizzaz.........

What do you all think of a smallish ogee shaped lid with a flame shaped knob/finial type thingy on top? :confused: not a keller krab klaw :rolleyes: shape but more shaped like a football standing on its tip?

John Hart
05-04-2011, 1:44 PM
Well, I've been thinking about this for a little while, and first off...the most common reaction to finials that I encounter....whether mine or pictures of other folks' stuff is, "What's that thing for?" But they aren't so befuddled with the aspect of a lid. Sooooo....make it fun!

How about a hat that follows the shape of the neck diminishing to a point and a little ball on top.

....but now I see you are thinking about an eternal flame. That would be cool too.....but not a finial....make it part of the hat.

David E Keller
05-04-2011, 2:53 PM
Your wife is right... Just ask her!

I'd vote no finial, but you can always try it out to see how it looks. If you didn't have the time constraints, I suggest pyro or texturing with a contrasting wax rub to add some interest. Bleaching the piece might also be an interesting idea if that's something that you want to try. Even if you miss the mark you set for yourself, I'll bet the club members learn more from a near miss than a homerun.

Looking forward to seeing what you decide.

ed hoxter
05-04-2011, 7:44 PM
roger, i think it looks great the way it is. but --- just to be different i would try a glossy black ball about 2 1/2 in. ed

Cathy Schaewe
05-04-2011, 8:52 PM
Females and finials ..... hmmm.

Sometimes I like them, sometimes I don't. More often, not. I could speculate on the male interest in them, but ... this is a family forum. :eek::eek:

In any event.:) I like it without.

Roger Chandler
05-04-2011, 8:59 PM
Females and finials ..... hmmm.

Sometimes I like them, sometimes I don't. More often, not. I could speculate on the male interest in them, but ... this is a family forum. :eek::eek:

In any event.:) I like it without.

That concept could be reversed........but since it is a family forum, I certainly am not going there either, nor would I anyway, but I do wonder if sub-conciencely there is some primal influence going on with what the likes of males vs.females are..........:o:eek::rolleyes:

Whew..........talk about a can of worms ........:eek::D

Cathy Schaewe
05-04-2011, 9:17 PM
Yeah, why don't you see if you can turn a can of worms for the top of that?!?!

Roger Chandler
05-04-2011, 9:18 PM
Yeah, why don't you see if you can turn a can of worms for the top of that?!?!

Your honor,

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D :eek:

John Hart
05-04-2011, 9:24 PM
Ooops...I shouldn't say that...

Say what?

What I said....

But now it's gone

Cathy Schaewe
05-04-2011, 9:36 PM
Ooops...I shouldn't say that...

Say what?

What I said....

But now it's gone

And thank heavens for that!!!!!:D

David E Keller
05-04-2011, 9:39 PM
Who swapped Cathy's decaf for regular coffee? She's all fired up tonight!

David DeCristoforo
05-04-2011, 9:40 PM
"Yeah, why don't you see if you can turn a can of worms for the top of that?!?!"

http://www.daviddecristoforo.com/Misc/rofl.gif

Cathy Schaewe
05-04-2011, 9:45 PM
Who swapped Cathy's decaf for regular coffee? She's all fired up tonight!

I've been busy, busy, busy - haven't had time for my regular commentary. I guess it just built up!!!!

Roger Chandler
05-04-2011, 9:48 PM
"Yeah, why don't you see if you can turn a can of worms for the top of that?!?!"

http://www.daviddecristoforo.com/Misc/rofl.gif

David, you started this!!! :eek: 193668

Don Alexander
05-04-2011, 10:15 PM
this forum always seems to bring a smile to my face when i need one the most

thanks to you all for being such a fun bunch :):):):):)

Roger Chandler
05-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Okay..........I suppose I should know when to concede........like David K. said "your wife is right, just ask her!" Consensus is no finial or lid............I took the pics below today, after a wet sanding and another coat of WOP.

Bill Wyko
05-05-2011, 9:08 PM
I have to say it looks good just as is. I think a finial would look out of place with simple elegance it presents with right now. Beautiful piece.

David E Keller
05-05-2011, 9:18 PM
Neat piece, Roger. If you want to adorn the top, a nice arrangement of dry flowers would be an option.

Roger Chandler
05-05-2011, 9:20 PM
Neat piece, Roger. If you want to adorn the top, a nice arrangement of dry flowers would be an option.

I agree David........I suspect that suggestion will be exactly what my wife does with this form. Hey, thanks for your support! ;):)

Roger Chandler
05-05-2011, 9:26 PM
I have to say it looks good just as is. I think a finial would look out of place with simple elegance it presents with right now. Beautiful piece.

Thank you Bill! I appreciate your kindness!