PDA

View Full Version : Sealing Granite

Ernie DeMartino
05-04-2011, 6:08 AM
I recently engraved a granite tile that will be used in a table top. When I sealed it with sealer from HDepot, the engraved portion darkened. I did a test before using it on the finished product. Does anyone have suggestions on an alternate method of sealing? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks Ernie

Dan Hintz
05-04-2011, 6:30 AM
There have been quite a few threads about this topic in the past, so try a search on tile and seal. If you still can't find the answer you're after, contact Belinda... she will be able to answer all of your ?s and then some.

Belinda Barfield
05-04-2011, 6:54 AM
I can answer most questions about stone, just don't ask the big questions about the meaning of life and such!

Ernie, check the label of the sealer. If it is a color enhancing sealer don't use it for granite or marble. Color enhancing sealers contain wax which will darken the engraving. I don't seal engraved granite because I don't see the need for it. If you choose to seal the tile use an impregnating sealer without wax. This shouldn't darken the stone once it dries.

Ernie DeMartino
05-04-2011, 7:07 AM
My worry is that it will be used in an outdoor table, not sure if I need to seal it or not. I appreciate any advice.
Thank you.

Belinda Barfield
05-04-2011, 7:38 AM
The granite, and the engraving, should be fine in an outdoor setting without sealing. There is a product available that is a three in one spray - cleaner, antibacterial, and sealer. It will not darken the engraving. I recommend application once to twice a month in a high use setting like a kitchen. You should be able to purchase it from a stone countertop company in your area. Many companies re-label or re-brand it, but the name of the product is 3-in-1 Spray Cleaner.

Ernie DeMartino
05-04-2011, 8:03 AM
Thanks Belinda, I appreciate it.

Hannu Rinne
05-04-2011, 8:27 AM
I just simply rub (hard) some cheap white alkyd paint on the engraved area. It dries quickly and does not darken the engraving (actually makes it more visible).

Regards,
Hannu

Belinda Barfield
05-04-2011, 9:35 AM
You're quite welcome Ernie. Here's a link that provides info on care and cleaning of stone, just in case you every need it. Midway down the page you'll find tips for removing stains, etc.

http://www.marble-institute.com/consumerresources/care.cfm

Ernie DeMartino
05-10-2011, 4:51 PM
Belinda, the 3 & 1 cleaner worked like a charm; Thanks again for your help.

Ernie

Belinda Barfield
05-11-2011, 8:35 AM
Glad it worked for you Ernie.

Peter Berry
07-13-2013, 6:58 PM
Hi Guys, I know this is an old thread, but, I have recently engraved some granite and in filled with white oil paint, a few members have said it needs to be sealed with a product from Home Depot (USA Store), as I am in the UK does any one have any suggestions of sealant available in the UK please. I am told that oil paint can last up to three years on granite outside.

Regards
Peter

Josh Jackson
07-17-2013, 1:41 PM
Belinda, I just saw this and wondered if there is any way to tell about the wax in the sealer? I ask because I am setting up to do a marble tile floor (quite an undertaking) and bought a DuPont water based sealer. There is nothing anywhere mentioning wax, but it could be one of those 'unspoken' kind of things. Also that 3-in-1 would it work for a long duration on something like a floor?