PDA

View Full Version : finally finished that krenov plane

Zach England
05-04-2011, 12:39 AM
I've made worse first attempts.193587

Brian Kent
05-04-2011, 1:29 AM
Hey, looking good Zach. I love working with purpleheart, especially after I remove all of the splinters. What's the size, about 8"?

Zach England
05-04-2011, 8:30 AM
Closer to 7. I don't really mind the purpleheart--it planes nicely with a low-angle plane and a sharp blade (not sharp for long, though), but it is terrible to sand, especially on my spindle sander, which I used to refine the curves.

I don't have much experience working with tropical woods. Every time I try one there is some sort of anguish involved.

Terry Beadle
05-04-2011, 3:54 PM
What a niffty plane ! Well done.

Be sure to gloat ! You've earned it.

Leigh Betsch
05-04-2011, 11:21 PM
Looks good. The angle looks steep, what is it? Did you make the blade?

John Tallyn
05-04-2011, 11:30 PM
Very nice job, I finished my first yesterday, not nearly as nice as yours, but it does take some nice shavings.

Zach England
05-05-2011, 9:33 AM
Do you guys have problems with shavings "filling" the area between the wedge and the front of the plane? Other than that this one is working beautifully.

I think I just did not leave enough clearance between the pin (3/8 brass rod) and the front slope. I also think next time I will curve that front ramp.

I am trying to decide if I want to try to recess this one with a float and chisel or just make a new one. I should have tested it more thoroughly before spending so much time on the final shaping and smoothing.

Andy Mail
05-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Thatt's a very handsome plane! If it were me, I'd try to reshape the front ramp as you suggest. Maybe you could pivot a chisel on the pin to help guide your cuts?

Zach England
05-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Looks good. The angle looks steep, what is it? Did you make the blade?

55 egrees. The blade and chipbreaker are from Ron Hock.

Zahid Naqvi
05-05-2011, 3:29 PM
Do you guys have problems with shavings "filling" the area between the wedge and the front of the plane?

I ran into the same thing earlier on in my krenovian excursions. Over a period of time I have adopted several modifications from what's recommended in David Fink's book. One of those is to make the front bed the same angle or less as the rear bed. Plus I put some paste wax on the front bed, helps a bit with shavings escaping easily.