PDA

View Full Version : 6' folding rule???

john davey
05-04-2011, 12:22 AM
I know the big box stores have a Lufkin folding rule. Are there any other sources around for these. Are the new ones any good? I have grown to hate my tapes and sometimes I need more than the 24" folding rule I have.... Thanks, John

dennis thompson
05-04-2011, 6:38 AM
I lost my Lufkin rule, which was my grandfather's, so it was pretty old. I bought a new one & it seems to be exactly the same as the old one. Of course, after I bought the new one, I found the old one!:) Have yet to use the new one.
Dennis

Von Bickley
05-04-2011, 9:02 AM
My local Lowe's and Home Depot carry them. I have 2 in my shop, one that I use and a new one in case something happens to the old one.

I also have 3 tape measures in the shop that I use for framing and rough cuts.

If I'm building a cabinet, a table, a bookcase, etc., I use the stick rule. I also get the stick rule that has the slide-out extension for taking inside measurements.

lowell holmes
05-04-2011, 11:20 AM
And if you cut one in half, you get two 36" folding rules. They are handy around the bench and I find them to be superior to the 24" folding boxwood rules.

The marks on the 24" rules are often on the wrong side of the rule for me to read.

I also have 96" folding rule with the six inch extension. It's too bulky to carry in my shop apron.

Johnny Kleso
05-04-2011, 1:40 PM
How about a 36" steel rule?
ENCO has some very good import rules as Starrett rules are a few dollars an inch..

If not Lufkin one of the main makers

Michael Horan
05-04-2011, 1:52 PM
I have a Lufkin from the orange big box store. It works for me. The one thing I am really glad I got was the sliding extension. I find it makes my inside measurements much more accurate.

Matthew Holloway
05-06-2011, 6:21 PM
Found this little gem a few weeks back. Only costs me $3. I would like to find another.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee60/holloway1985/steel_folding_rule.jpg

ray hampton
05-06-2011, 7:02 PM
who wants a sharp folding ruler ? I DO

Bill Houghton
05-08-2011, 2:59 PM
Found this little gem a few weeks back. Only costs me $3. I would like to find another.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee60/holloway1985/steel_folding_rule.jpg

Matthew,

I recommend that you find a trusted rule and check the measurements on that one. I picked up three of those folding steel rules, all German-made, and found that two of the three were inaccurate.

The third one, which stayed with me when I gave the others away, can be quite helpful when I'm doing work too long for my 3 foot rule.