PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic and wood fixing ..

Jani Pedersen
05-03-2011, 8:13 PM
Hi, a few questions if anyone is able to offer advice / answers please.

I an needing to glue / fix acrylic to acrylic and then acrylic to wood.

My first issue is that the design I have has left very very small 'waves' in the acrylic edge where it was rastered ~ how well does acrylic sand down and would it affect the adhesion ?

My second issue is working out which is the best means to attach acrylic to wood ( it will be the flat surface of the acrylic, not an edge ) It's possible I could screw them together, but want to be ready in case glueing is more suitable.

My third question is .... if I layered a number of piece of acrylic, glued them together so that I had a piece akin to a 2x2, how easy is it to shape this without the use of the laser which obviously wouldn't cut through it.

Last question, honest. What temperature do you generally use to heat up acrylic in the oven in order to bend it ?

Bill Cunningham
05-03-2011, 10:04 PM
To bend acrylic, if the piece is small enough, you can use a light warm pass back and forth over the area with a butane torch(more accurate), or a heat gun. If you're bending wide pieces, you need a strip heater type bender. I've made Acrylic Drum Labels that just needed a slight curve, and just warmed them up with the torch. Acrylic does not have to be that hot to bend.

Larry Bratton
05-03-2011, 10:20 PM
Jani
You can sand acrylic to smooth an edge, probably not the greatest of practices though. However, it will possibly enhance the adhesive capabilities. No problem there. I am assuming your using solvent cement with an edge to edge application.
I can't answer on the second question as you don't say whether or not your using clear acrylic or opaque. Is this project an award or what?
It's been my experience that acrylic is ok if your cutting with a laser or a router. Bending with heat works well, but shaping otherwise..not too much experience with that. If I knew a little more about your project, maybe I could be more help.
Acrylic sheet begins to deflect at about 200F, so dependent upon thickness, I would say around 225F. I bend it on a hot wire and we just put the area where we want the bend to be over the wire. In a few minutes it will begin to deflect, then it will relax. When that happens it is ready to bend. Be careful and don't burn yourself. You can also bend it with a heat gun.

Jani Pedersen
05-03-2011, 10:53 PM
Thanks a lot guys. It is actually the sides and neck of a ukulele that I am making - the top and bottom will sit on top of the side, which will either be one long piece bent into shape or two smaller sections. I'm using 2mm acrylic as I was unable to source thinner in time. I'm still trying to work out whether to make the neck from wood or layer acrylic and then 'carve' into shape. You can see why it's so important that I get a smooth / flush finish on the edges so that the top and back sit cleanly. I have a heat press I could lay it on, also have a heat gun and a little 'toy' butane burner which I doubt will be strong enough to give the finish it needs which is why I wonder about sanding it.

Appreciate your replies !

Chuck Stone
05-03-2011, 11:00 PM
the 'toy' should work .. bigger tanks don't necessarily make bigger flames.
Acrylics sand up nicely. You can take it from a rough 80 grit all the way up to
a super high gloss. I use micromesh on it and it works fine.

Dan Hintz
05-04-2011, 6:07 AM
My first issue is that the design I have has left very very small 'waves' in the acrylic edge where it was rastered ~ how well does acrylic sand down and would it affect the adhesion?
Acrylic to acrylic bonds need very flat edges... any waviness will prevent a strong bond. Acrylic sands well, but if you want a clear edge after sanding you'll want to flame polish it.

My second issue is working out which is the best means to attach acrylic to wood ( it will be the flat surface of the acrylic, not an edge ) It's possible I could screw them together, but want to be ready in case glueing is more suitable.
Small pieces will be okay... I'd use an epoxy. For large pieces you'll have to take wood movement into account, especially for thin pieces of acrylic.

if I layered a number of piece of acrylic, glued them together so that I had a piece akin to a 2x2, how easy is it to shape this without the use of the laser which obviously wouldn't cut through it.
Once it's glued up, there will be no shaping (i.e., bending)... the glue won't allow it without cracking. You'll have to shape first, and even then gluing up multiple pieces will get tricky quickly. Sanding edges and such? Not a problem, same as a single sheet... but flame polishing will likely be a problem due to the glue.