PDA

View Full Version : Molding Plane

John Tallyn
05-03-2011, 7:51 PM
Bought my 1st molding plane from The Best Things, it arrived today. A little 3/8ths beader, made in the early 1800's. Cleaned the blade, sharpened it gingerly, then spent at least an hour cutting a bead on a piece of walnut, cutting it off, cutting another bead, cutting it off, etc. Looking forward to using it on a real piece of furniture, I think the original owner probably would have thought I was nuts, but I had a lot of fun playing with an old plane like that, I guess it's true that simple things amuse simple minds.

Riaan van Zyl
05-04-2011, 4:20 AM
Dont worry, plenty small minds out there and from one small mind to another. What you are doing in great fun, enjoy.

David Peterson
05-04-2011, 5:34 AM
'The Best Things' sells terrific moulding planes. The half dozen or so I have bought from them over the last few years all were ready to work after just a light touch up to the blades. You won't see any plane on Lee's site that isn't a good user.

So you're not alone, John. I've done the exact same thing. The original owners of these planes doubtless had the same 'simple' satisfaction of using a good tool although they may not have been grinning as much.