PDA

View Full Version : Finally! My Hollowing System!

Steve Vaughan
05-03-2011, 5:52 PM
You guys are good! I've been wanting a hollowing system bad and was gonna save the money for one until I started seeing the ones you were making, and so, here it is! I put all your info together and decided I was gonna make one myself.

It's actually very easy to do, although, I was so excited, I haven't even used this thing yet. I just had to go tell everyone what I'd done!:D This is so new, the paint isn't quite hardened. So, here's the details from memory for this rig, starting at the bottom:

1/2" plate steel - 5" X 8" for the platform - 1/2" cause it was FREE. In fact, I had the guy cut two of em for me.
Upright - two pieces of 1 1/4" angle iron, welded to form a square. Pretty good fit for the 1" upright post.
Upright post - 1" square steel stock, about 6" long. I drilled 1/2" hole and threaded that.
Solid cross piece - 1" square steel stock, about 7 1/2" long.
2 cross pieces - 1" wide by 1/4" thick, about 7 1/2" long. I wanted these to be flat with parallel sides. The only way I knew how to do this was take a risk. I used my Jet 16/32 drum sander:eek: and took about 30 passes on each side. Believe me, I took really, REALLY light - just-touching-the-grit passes. It really did a great job, and my sander is still good.
Tool end piece - 1" square steel stock, 1/2" hole drilled 2" deep in the end, with two 1/4" set screws to hold tool. This is about 5" long, I think.
6 thrust bearings and 12 thrust bearing washers, 1/2" I.D., 15/16" O.D. - this was the most expensive part. I ordered these through Amazon, but they came from Reid. Here's (http://www.amazon.com/I-D-Cylindrical-Roller-Thrust-Bearings/dp/B002HAPIY4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304458607&sr=8-1)the part. You can easily order the matching washer. And, you do need those washers because they're hardened, and flat.
Tool bar - Just to start, I've got two 1/2" steel rods. Both are drilled straight in on one end, and at a 45 degree the other end - one is 1/4" and the other 3/16". I'm thinking that won't hollow but so good and plan on getting some 3/4" stuff and turning the end down to fit my hole.

Weld-up - I am not a welder, but I'm sure wanting to learn. So, a good friend is teaching me how to weld and this project is the second ever welding I've done. The vortex is causing me to have to get a welder. Didn't know that a welder was part of turning, but I'm really OK with that. Need a metal lathe too.
Paint - Incredible stuff. I used Rustoleum's Hammered Finish Paint. Man, that is good stuff, I'm tell you. A really nice finish.

Here's the pics:cool::

Roger Chandler
05-03-2011, 6:11 PM
Congrats Steve............I am impressed! If it works as good as it looks, then you will be in hollowing heaven!!!

Tim Thiebaut
05-03-2011, 6:39 PM
Wow that came out nice I am jealous!

philip labre
05-03-2011, 6:39 PM
Great looking rig, Steve! Enjoy!

Jon Prouty
05-03-2011, 6:59 PM
Real nice job!!! Looks great!

Jon

Steve Vaughan
05-03-2011, 8:04 PM
Well, Jon. I hope you feel really good.:) You were the one that finally put me over the edge to build one. There were others too that carry that burden but after viewing several, and then yours, that was it. I just had to move forward with this thing. So, to you and the others - thank you!:D

Baxter Smith
05-03-2011, 9:21 PM
Very nice job! Have fun with it!

Bernie Weishapl
05-03-2011, 9:23 PM
Steve looks mighty fine to me. Have fun.

Roger Chandler
05-03-2011, 9:36 PM
Steve.............are you going to be able to mount a laser on your rig?

Donny Lawson
05-03-2011, 9:39 PM
You people keep comming up with these things will make me want one too. I'm jealous already.

Roger Chandler
05-03-2011, 9:42 PM
You people keep comming up with these things will make me want one too. I'm jealous already.

Donny.........a hollowing system [rig] will add another dimension to your turning capabilities and is a great addition to your turning arsenal.

Steve Vaughan
05-03-2011, 9:42 PM
Roger, yes. I'll figure that out next. I just wanted to get this thing up and running. I'm hoping to take another look at the others and see how things were rigged and put something together from that.

That does lead to a question - what is going to be more stable? Something solid such as steel rod? Or, something lighter, such as an aluminum ski pole. I don't think there will be any issue to attach it securely and I'd fashion either a wood or metal cross piece to hold the horizontal piece for the light.

Roger Chandler
05-03-2011, 9:45 PM
Roger, yes. I'll figure that out next. I just wanted to get this thing up and running. I'm hoping to take another look at the others and see how things were rigged and put something together from that.

That does lead to a question - what is going to be more stable? Something solid such as steel rod? Or, something lighter, such as an aluminum ski pole. I don't think there will be any issue to attach it securely and I'd fashion either a wood or metal cross piece to hold the horizontal piece for the light.

I would suggest you take a look at the monster rig and see how they mount one..........my rig has a square steel bar for the laser, and a support bar underneath as a stabilizer.

Jamie Donaldson
05-03-2011, 10:40 PM
I don't think home made hollowing rigs are supposed to have such a nice paint job!!!???

Jon Prouty
05-04-2011, 1:49 AM
Well, Jon. I hope you feel really good.:) You were the one that finally put me over the edge to build one. There were others too that carry that burden but after viewing several, and then yours, that was it. I just had to move forward with this thing. So, to you and the others - thank you!:D

Hi Steve - I am glad I was a partial influence in someone else building their own version. I have been remiss in posting pictures of my laser setup - I finished it and it works great. I took some pictures tonight with my cell phone and will post them tomorrow while at work (my phone link cord thing is at the office). My version is super simple and took all of a half hour to assemble (the long part was waiting for the parts to arrive from DigiKey (2 days via snail mail)). I'll update my original post with the pics that I promised there before. BTW - I think the entire setup put me back about $20 - $25 including the laser / batt box.

Jon

John Keeton
05-04-2011, 7:04 AM
Steve, great work on this, and looks like your welding skills have developed quickly! I will say that you have taken the "vortex" thing about as far as I have seen by justifying a welding rig, but I like the thought process!!:D With the "new standard" I think I should be able to blame the vortex for a new pickup to haul wood! Ms. Keeton is pretty tolerant, but that might be the final straw.:eek:

Roger Chandler
05-04-2011, 7:25 AM
Steve, great work on this, and looks like your welding skills have developed quickly! I will say that you have taken the "vortex" thing about as far as I have seen by justifying a welding rig, but I like the thought process!!:D With the "new standard" I think I should be able to blame the vortex for a new pickup to haul wood! Ms. Keeton is pretty tolerant, but that might be the final straw.:eek:

One thing about it John..........you won't have to hire a divorce attorney! :D

bob svoboda
05-04-2011, 9:00 AM
Great job and a solid looking system. Enjoy!

Keith E Byrd
05-04-2011, 9:01 AM
Steve -that looks great! Let us know how it works. I haven't tried hollowing yet - I am staying on the bowl turning learning curve for awhile but I am intrigued by all the hollow forms that are on this forum.

Steve Schlumpf
05-04-2011, 9:08 AM
Very nice work on your hollowing system Steve! I really like the beefiness of the components! Looking forward to hearing how you like using it!

Bill Bolen
05-04-2011, 12:42 PM
What a fine looking rig! Being a tool you made yourself hollowing will be that much more fun too...Bill...

robert raess
05-04-2011, 1:07 PM
What are the thrust bearings for? Is there any adjustment for up and down,it looks like you have it adjusted for dead center? thanks Rob..nice pc. of work!

Steve Vaughan
05-04-2011, 9:42 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies. Again, you're one heck of an inspirational group!

Keith, give it a shot. I probably have $40 to $45 in this rig, but then I got a deal on some of the steel - some free, some very, very cheap. And, with the steel I did buy, I've got enough to build another one or other jigs and such. It's really easy to do.

Robert, the thrust bearing are so the joints will move back and forth smoothly. I'm using needle thrust bearing - google 1/2" thrust bearing, and you'll get a zillion pages on them. They're gonna be the expense. I went with needle thrust bearing because they were cheaper (at least I think they were) than the grooved ball thrust bearings. But, having said that, others on here appear to have used nylon washers between the steel joints, others might use bronze bushings. The upright fully adjusts up and down. I didn't have my lock bolts in there for the pics, but you can raise it or lower it and doing so, raise or lower exactly where you want the point of the tool edge to be. Hope that helps.

I'll be adding a laser light here sometime soon. Looking at a green laser just for the fun of it...or at least it might be. The ones I've seen say you can see the green beam all the way from the light to whatever it's aimed at. I'll post pics when I get that going. I gotta say, I've been playing with it just a little. I'm liking it so far!