PDA

View Full Version : New Spindle Gouge

Patrick Tipton
05-03-2011, 2:41 PM
I have been busy working on 90 balusters for a new staircase in my house. I have been using a 1/2 inch spindle gouge for much of the work, but found it just a bit too big for a couple of the details.

I have been admiring Thompson turning tools and figured this was a good excuse to buy a 3/8 spindle/detail gouge. The tool is made from A11 steel - don't know anything about "powdered steel", but folks are making pretty big claims about how well it wears once sharpened. The tool came unhandled, so I made a handle last night out of some walnut I had lying around. I put a dab of epoxy on the handle when I mounted the gouge and didn't want to disturb it so I did not get to use the tool last night. I had about 5 minutes this morning before work so I played a bit but not enough to form any opinions.

The tool is beautifully made - I will be happy if the steel is as good as HSS.

Regards, Patrick

Jim Koepke
05-03-2011, 3:25 PM
Patrick,

Did you intend to post this in the Turner's forum?

Your work looks great BTW.

I have made the same mistake myself in the past.

jtk

Patrick Tipton
05-03-2011, 3:27 PM
Patrick,

Did you intend to post this in the Turner's forum?

jtk

Not so much......although maybe I should have! There is so much talk of making handles and tool steel, etc., that I figured it was appropriate. Maybe I should ask an admin to move it....

Regards, Patrick

David Weaver
05-03-2011, 3:38 PM
I have a couple of powder gouges (different maker), because most of what I turn is exotics. They do last a bit longer than standard HSS.

I have never heard anyone have anything other than super stellar opinions of thompson turning tools. I am pleased with mine, but for how much I turn (not much), it doesn't really make too much of a difference.

I don't notice any lack of sharpness in any of them (powdered metal included) or any tendency to be harder to sharpen than any plain old HSS gouge.

Jim Koepke
05-03-2011, 5:17 PM
There is so much talk of making handles and tool steel, etc., that I figured it was appropriate. Maybe I should ask an admin to move it....

Good enough reason to post here.

Why move it?

If you want to share with that conference, just post a new one in Turner's.

jtk