PDA

View Full Version : My experience at the John C. Campbell Folk School

Mark Hazelden
05-03-2011, 2:21 PM
Bob Rotche had asked in a previous post about my recent class at the Folk School.
So I thought I would share what I got out of it.

I took a week long course during the Scandinavian Week with Franck Johanneson instructing and Kevin White assisting. We all turned something Scandinavian, in my case an ale bowl, and then it was a woodturning free-for-all. Our class of 8 varied in experience from never turned before to intermediate. Franck or Kevin seemed to show up at our lathe just as we needed their help. We all turned from 9AM to 9PM only breaking for lunch and dinner. I more than doubled my total time at a lathe that week.

The environment in the woodturning studio was wonderful. Here was a group of people from all walks of life with only one thing in common, wanting to learn. I commented that the same group of people at a party or professional conference would probably not get along. There was something about the school that brought people together. I observed this in every class I visited that week. I imagine the same thing would happen if a group from this forum got together for a week. I spent the week pushing myself technically and creatively into areas I never knew I could go. I turned my first 2 hollow forms in the class.

The maximum class size for woodturning is 10. The lathes are beautiful Powermatic 3520s. The food was incredible. I chose to eat on campus even though I live locally. The location of the school is in the mountains of North Carolina and is beautiful. The instructors and type of woodturning being taught varies each week and scholarships are often given as prizes at various symposiums. Did I mention that the food was incredible? :)

If you ever find yourself in the area, please look me up. I live just down the road.

Mark

Steve Vaughan
05-03-2011, 2:29 PM
I always wanted to attend one of those classes. In fact, any class at that place! One day...

Tim Rinehart
05-03-2011, 3:24 PM
Mark,
I am with others in wanting to go there. I look at the courses and think I could spend a couple months just exploring different creative outlets. My wife and I think about going there for classes for a week, each choosing what we like from their huge selection of topics. Living in Charlotte...not a good reason NOT to check it out more than once.

So many topics to choose from though!! Like a great menu at a restaurant.
Glad you enjoyed.:)

Jamie Donaldson
05-03-2011, 4:59 PM
I'm pleased that you enjoyed the Folk School, as I took my first turning class there in 1986, and wife and I have been back many times since. I teach both photography and woodturning there each year, and it really is a wonderful "camp for adults" setting. Unfortunately its becoming too civilized, and cell phone reception is now available all over campus, as that was a good respite from the intrusions of the "outside world" for us!

Lee Koepke
05-03-2011, 8:53 PM
Hey Mark ... my folks live right down the road in Blairsville !!!! I missed a recent bowl turning class last month, but do want to find a good weekend course to go to!

We actually are setting up a booth at the Blairsville Craft Show on May 21/22 .... you should come see me! I'll have a West Ga Woodworking banner on my tent!!!

Harry Robinette
05-03-2011, 9:29 PM
Mark
I know what you mean,I've taken 3 week long classes the last few years and LOVED every minute of it. Like you said the classes are great and the foods even Greater. Haven't had the money to go lately, if I go the wife goes for glass classes so it gets a little expensive.
Going to try to go back next summer..I hope..I hope..

Bob Rotche
05-04-2011, 7:53 AM
Great to hear about your experience, Mark! Your experience was very similar to my own. I fully agree with your comments about the comoraderie amongst the woodturners. Guys of all ages from all walks of life who probably wouldn't have too much to say to each other in a different setting turn into a "boys club", laughing and joking and hanging out in the shop even before and after the time class was technically running. We all learned a ton and had a great time. Agree, the food is outstanding (family style meals in the dining hall being a great chance to meet people taking other classes). I did meet Jamie Donaldson (see above) there. He was taking a different class but showed me pictures on his computer of many of his beautiful woodturning pieces and invited me to join WoW, which was greatly appreciated. I can't recommend the John Campbell school highly enough and can't wait to go back. There is a campground on site for those concerned about cost.