PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive Hammer Drill?

Brian Kent
05-03-2011, 10:50 AM
I need a hammer drill to attach the baseboards of a 10' x 10' shed on an existing concrete pad.

I buy fine tools when I plan to use them a lot, but I can't picture the next time I would use this.

So it there a relative inexpensive hammer drill you would recommend?

Thanks in advance for your money-saving and frustration-saving advice.

Brian

Gene Tereba
05-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Brian

I am like you in regards to buying tools. I needed a hammer drill about 4 years ago and ended up getting the Harbor Frieght hammer drill for about $50 with coupons. I only expected to drill some anchor bolt holes in concrete pad but ended up having several other tasks after purchase that I used it for and hadnt anticipated....breaking up a sidewalk, drilling some additional anchors, etc. Others have borrowed and has worked like a champ with everything and still going strong. REALLY happy with the purchase and dont think you can go wrong for the price. good luck

Bryan Slimp
05-03-2011, 11:05 AM
I have used the Makita hammer drill that's about $100 and it works like a champ, and it makes a pretty good drill for Kreg Jig work to boot.

Paul Hingco
05-03-2011, 11:06 AM
HF DrillMaster $30 last time I got it. Cheaper if you can get a coupon.

Kent A Bathurst
05-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Mr. Kent -

I've had the Dewalt for a number of years. Moderate use - somewhat more than your plans, but not very often. Excellent tool. Looks like $95 or so on-line. Can't really say that its worth 2x the one Gene suggests, though - wouldn't seem to be worth it from here. OTOH - some folks [like me] just get the heebie-jeebies when it comes time for that final click on an HF purchase - I haven't been able to do that yet, but that's my problem.

Regards,

Kent

Andrew Pitonyak
05-03-2011, 11:14 AM
I have a beat-up, surprised it still works it is so beat-up, Milwaukee. Not happy with it for some jobs, but, but last time I wanted to drill into concrete block it worked just fine. Do you want it? If so, PM me your mailing address and I will ship it to you. You are on your own for drill bits, however.

Oh, and then it can take up room in your shop....

Tom Walz
05-03-2011, 11:37 AM
I rented from HD. Didn't have to worry about bits. Worked well. Ordinarily I buy but this was definitely a one time deal.

Tom

Matt Meiser
05-03-2011, 11:51 AM
I had a Ryobi that worked great until I tried to use it to mix thinset. What failed was the brushes and I was able to actually fix it by sanding them back smooth (the faces crumbled.) However after that I decided to get something a little better and got a recon Bosch. I think this is it: http://www.cpotools.com/factory-reconditioned-bosch-hd19-2b-rt-8-5-amp-1-2-in-2-speed-hammer-drill/bshrhd19-2b-rt,default,pd.html?start=9&cgid=bosch-reconditioned-hammers-and-hammer-drills

I don't use it a lot but when I do its so much better than non-hammer drilling in concrete.

Myk Rian
05-03-2011, 12:10 PM
I also have a HF model. For as few times I use it, it does a great job.

scott vroom
05-03-2011, 12:17 PM
One-time use? Rent a heavy duty rotary hammer for 2 hours.

Paul McGaha
05-03-2011, 12:32 PM
For concrete I would advise a small, variable speed, rotary hammer. Should be inexpensive enough to rent as they are about $200 to buy a new one.

Bosch makes decent ones for the price. At work (Large electrical contractor) we have hundreds of them and we tend to buy Bosch.

PHM

Ole Anderson
05-03-2011, 12:36 PM
For the price of a rental, you could own the HF SDS HD (if you use your coupons and get it on sale) and have another tool to add to the stable. I used one and was happy with it. I have a PC 1/2" HD, but needed a hole bigger than the PC could drill. I normally don't buy HF unless it is for occasional use. You can use this baby to tear out tile or glued down flooring too. I'm picking one up next time I need a 3/4" or bigger hole in concrete.

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/hammer-drills/3-in-1-1-inch-sds-rotary-hammer-97743.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_6016.jpg

Mike Ruggeri
05-03-2011, 1:11 PM
I was in a similiar posistion and I bought the Ryobi hammer drill (just over $60 if I recall at HD). I use it now and then to put things into concrete block and it has worked well. If I was going to use it more, I would have gotten a better one but I haven't noticed any shortcomings with the Ryobi.

Mike

Rod Sheridan
05-03-2011, 1:20 PM
Hi Brian, over time, I've found that the Hilti hammer drills work great, however they're what you would expect to pay for a great drill.

I don't think it's worth buying a cheap hammer drill, as others have said, rent a good one, with a good bit.

The Hilti drills concrete like it's wood, quiet, low vibration and extremely fast drilling rate, almost makes installing anchor bolts pleasant...........Rod.

Greg R Bradley
05-03-2011, 1:47 PM
Let's back up a sec....

If you are just attaching bottom plates for a shed, you might be better off with a single shot .22 powder actuated tool for around $25 plus another $10 for shells and hardware.

If you want to drill, cheap hammer drills will drive you nuts.

Do you have any Makita LXT stuff? I'm just about to sell a couple hammer drills, expecting to sell lightly used for $50 and virtually new for not much more.

If you want a real SDS Rotary Hammer, I've got two extra Bosch 11236VS units to sell. One is used and another is very lightly used. The used one is worth around $100 with a half dozen bits.

What size holes do you need to drill?

ETA: There is a HUGE difference between drilling 5/32" holes for Tapcons and drilling 3/4" holes for anchors. Old concrete is harder than new.

Brian Kent
05-03-2011, 4:21 PM
Greg,

I sent an e-mail to Andrew for his generous offer. If it does not work out, I would be interested in a Makita. I have a couple of cordless Makita drills and a corded Makita drill, all of which have treated me excellently.

It is old concrete and I am using anchor bolts. I don't know if that means that I need 3/4"

Brian

Kent A Bathurst
05-03-2011, 4:53 PM
If you need, say, 1/2" and up - do yourself a favor....start by drilling a smaller dia hole, then step up in size. Never drilled 3/4" :eek: :eek: but have drilled a reasonable number of 1/2" - and I start with a 1/4" or 3/16".

Mike Monroe
05-03-2011, 5:30 PM
I have an older 1/2 Makita hammer drill that works fine every time I've used it. It's got a hammer/no hammer option. Very handy when I need a bigger drill. As I recall it was given to me as partial payment for some remodel work I did for a friend years ago. We needed a hammer drill for the job at hand, he bought and gave it to me when the work was completed.

Greg R Bradley
05-03-2011, 7:48 PM
Brian,

If this is older concrete, it will be more difficult to drill than fresh. If you aren't trying to make this stand up to a hurricane, or support a clay tile roof in earthquake country, I'm assuming 3/16" x 2-3/4" Tapcons, which gives you 200 lb. pull-out each. If you want more strength, go to 3-1/4" long, which gives you 375 lb. pull-out each. I would use a fender washer on the longer Tapcons or the bottom plate will be the weak link. 3/16" Tapcons require a 5/32" drill, which is "big" if you are going to use a hammer drill in older concrete. If you want more strength than every other stud, go to a Tapcon between every stud.

1/4" Tapcons require a 3/16" drill bit, which would be a pain in old concrete for a hammer drill. A small rotary hammer is not a big advantage at that size in new construction. If you have to drill any holes larger than that, like for a Simpson tie down, consider buying/renting a small rotary hammer. Larger hammer drill bits are mainly for block, brick, etc. - unless you don't mind spending alot of time on one hole!

Jay Jeffery
05-03-2011, 9:50 PM
For drilling real holes in real concrete, just make sure you get a real roto hammer with SDS bits.
For an occasional small hole in cinder blocks, that little hammer picture on the drill that makes it a "hammer drill" will probably get you by just fine.

Matt Meiser
05-03-2011, 10:09 PM
I did some 1/2" holes in >10yo concrete (not sure if that qualifies as "old") for those expanding bolt anchors for a very large shelving unit in my shop with mine. It was certainly slower than 5/32" holes for tapcons in my basement walls but it did the job well. I bet you'll be surprised at rental costs--I always am.

David Larsen
05-03-2011, 10:21 PM
For the price of a rental, you could own the HF SDS HD (if you use your coupons and get it on sale) and have another tool to add to the stable. I used one and was happy with it. I have a PC 1/2" HD, but needed a hole bigger than the PC could drill. I normally don't buy HF unless it is for occasional use. You can use this baby to tear out tile or glued down flooring too. I'm picking one up next time I need a 3/4" or bigger hole in concrete.

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/hammer-drills/3-in-1-1-inch-sds-rotary-hammer-97743.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_6016.jpg

I too have this model. Think I paid like $49. For an SDS rotary, this is plenty for the few times I need it. I have a hammer drill also and that doesn't work near as well as this HF rotary.

Brian Kent
05-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Rentals - $35 for 4 hours, $48 per day for a hammer drill for 1/2" holes.

Meanwhile, I am thrilled by Andrew's awesome offer.

Andrew Pitonyak
05-03-2011, 11:34 PM
Meanwhile, I am thrilled by Andrew's awesome offer.
Hope it works for you. It is packed and ready to go. Will ship Wednesday. Picked it up from eBay some years back. The drill worked fine to drill through some concrete walls. Have not needed it since then. I am thrilled to get it out of my basement :-)

Carl McGaug
05-04-2011, 5:51 AM
Are you near a Busy Beaver? They sell a throwaway

http://www.busybeaver.com/ad/

Dustin Brown
05-04-2011, 9:30 AM
Brian

I am like you in regards to buying tools. I needed a hammer drill about 4 years ago and ended up getting the Harbor Frieght hammer drill for about $50 with coupons. I only expected to drill some anchor bolt holes in concrete pad but ended up having several other tasks after purchase that I used it for and hadnt anticipated....breaking up a sidewalk, drilling some additional anchors, etc. Others have borrowed and has worked like a champ with everything and still going strong. REALLY happy with the purchase and dont think you can go wrong for the price. good luck

+1, I've had the HF Chicago Electric one for about 5 years now. Had to clean the brushes after a couple years, still going strong.

Chuong Nguyen
05-04-2011, 10:52 AM

I also have this HF drill and a Makita Cordless 18V LXT Hammer Drill.
Honestly, this Harbor freight does a much better job of drilling through concrete than the Makita. the Makita does a good job with smaller bits, but this HF Rotary Hammer drill I believe is actually one of those "gems" that HF sells.
I originally bought it about 4 years ago b/c I needed to cut out a 10" diameter hole through 8" poured concrete wall. so I used the HF Rotary with a 1" or bigger bit (can't remember) and drilled a bunch of holes until I was able to chisel it out. This thing does drill through concrete like it's wood.
I then just used it recently b/c I needed to cut out a 24" x 24" square hole in 4" thick concrete floor, and again, drilled a gazillion holes with it until I was able to pound it out.
The Makita I use to drill small holes for Tapcons, and other drill/driver duties.
Good Luck
Chuong

Tony Zaffuto
05-04-2011, 6:52 PM
I have had excellent results with two Dewalt SDS hammer drills. First one was bought about 5 years ago and cost about $120. Still going strong. The second was bought this past winter, cost around $180 and works better than the first. These are both used in the maintenance section on my manufacturing plant by any of 3 or 4 guys.

Bruce Wrenn
05-04-2011, 10:29 PM
I have a couple of Bosch units. In pawn shops here you can often get a Bosch Bull Dog for less than $75, including some bits (SDS).