PDA

View Full Version : Carpenter bee traps

Philip Duffy
05-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Anyone have a detailed drawing on how to build a trap for these pests? They get my home every year and cause a bunch of damage in the wood.

Ben Hatcher
05-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Call an exterminator.

russell lusthaus
05-03-2011, 11:07 AM
stuff steel wool in the holes - keeps em from entering or exiting and the babies inside die. Could spray a little bee killer in the hole and around the area as well.

Charles Lent
05-03-2011, 11:08 AM
I don't know if a trap exists for these pests, but when they went after the pine fascia boards of my shop a few years ago I just sprayed a foaming wasp/hornet spray in each hole and then plugged them a few days later with wood plugs and glue. I haven't had any more infestations since.

Charley

Lee Schierer
05-03-2011, 11:44 AM
I prefer one of these http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/public/3x6BHfvgbUnwYkYB7xYTaLaCCbShEM8-9eYIYdSBibQBbllqKL8CB3ozzgZQPUj4sxL5XOk3uvslxfS9rI eTJElUyo1HaVGIYwf0_vEaTUeoGeuhz6DDAMPXax_OY4_JtMN8 PfisCKv3ZPNcuIWiyW3J6vJeqk9rre5HXee8N6x52bVX2mjFyT reQEKgTHXmtGE=s90-cand a good back hand swing.

Gary Hodgin
05-03-2011, 11:46 AM
I've had an ongoing battle with the pests for a couple of years. They're in my backyard shed. This year I'm beating them. I think the first line of protection is paint. They can get through it but really prefer raw wood. Second, spray something in the holes to kill what you can. I used that wasp/hornet spray from Home Depot. Do this late in the afternoon/early evening when they're more likely to be home. Leave things along for 24 to 48 hours. Enough time for stragglers to return home. Third, I plug the hole with something. It could be a dowel, silicon, or wood putty. This year I used the wood putty provided in the link. Much easier than trying to fit a dowel. The holes generally aren't straight in so a dowel is sometimes hard to fit. After you think you've gotten killed them or driven them away paint. I've used screen in some areas to keep them away. Do all the other stuff before you use any screen. They'll drill out if you screen them in alive. I'm no expert but this procedure has helped.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100136187/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Google has a lot on carpenter bees. Here's a link to something at NC State University.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/notes/Urban/carpenterbees.htm

Gary Hodgin
05-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Phillip,
I think you know this, but these things can destroy you house if not taken care of . My wife's first cousin's house was almost destroyed. He built one of those really nice two-story log homes about 15 or 20 years. About 10 years ago they started getting carpenter bees. They tried the types of stuff I described and called exterminators several times. The things had gotten too bad apparently. They ended up putting siding on their home. As far as I know it solved the bee problem, but ruined the looks of their home.

Philip Duffy
05-03-2011, 12:13 PM
Well, for starters, I have tried the exterminators- - -far to ignorant to solve the problem -- -they just want my cash. Yes, the bugs can destroy the house - --I just had a bunch of repair work done. If I could reach the holes I would put bondo in and re-paint. So, I am off to the NCSU.EDU site to see if they have an answer to my question. Later-- No, afraid they have lots of info but no plans. Phil

David Weaver
05-03-2011, 12:47 PM
I have been using a boric acid powder called Tim Bor (mixed with water) for every type of wood-loving insect that I have found. I haven't yet found any of them that can tolerate (or survive) it. I think it is supposed to be a pre-treatment for bare wood, but it works fine as long as you don't mind that it leaves a white residue (that can be washed off of any exterior surfaces it ends up on) and as long as you can get it somewhere that it will actually come in contact with the bees.

Sevin dust would also work if you can get it where it needs to go.

Gary Max
05-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Phill I saw a ad for the trap last week but they wanted $20.00 for it so I really didn't give it much thought-----I will see if I can find it. It looked like a house with a 16 oz bottle hanging out of the bottom.

Here's what I found----------------------------http://www.beegonesolutions.com/index.php?option=com_opencart&Itemid=57&route=product/product&product_id=53

Gary Hodgin
05-03-2011, 1:01 PM
Phillip,
I found this one you tube, not a detailed plan but it doesn't look that complicated. There's also something on ehow on how to build a trap with soda bottles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g2TRanAkSA

David G Baker
05-03-2011, 1:41 PM
I use a product called Drione. It kills instantly on contact, is water resistant, will last for several months and is dusted into areas where carpenter bees have penetrated wood. Do a Google search and check it out. It is applied with a duster. Don't let the price stop you from trying it because a little of the product goes a long way. It can be hard to find but if you are willing to spend the time looking for a supplier you can get it.

Joseph Tarantino
05-03-2011, 2:28 PM
an exterminator remedied my problem short term with a powder, probably drione, that was applied to the holes. dramaticlly decreased the infestation the first year i had it done, and the succeeding two years continued the decline in carpenter bee infestation. the ultimate solution occurred when i had the house vinyl sided, with all the trim covered with coil stock. no exposed wood, no carpenter bees.

Philip Duffy
05-03-2011, 2:48 PM
Thanks David, Appreciate the helpful answer. Phil

Dick Strauss
05-03-2011, 2:56 PM
Beware that caulking the holes closed doesn't work... they will push the caulking right back out if they are trapped.

Ray Chalenski
05-03-2011, 5:30 PM
I prefer one of these http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/public/3x6BHfvgbUnwYkYB7xYTaLaCCbShEM8-9eYIYdSBibQBbllqKL8CB3ozzgZQPUj4sxL5XOk3uvslxfS9rI eTJElUyo1HaVGIYwf0_vEaTUeoGeuhz6DDAMPXax_OY4_JtMN8 PfisCKv3ZPNcuIWiyW3J6vJeqk9rre5HXee8N6x52bVX2mjFyT reQEKgTHXmtGE=s90-cand a good back hand swing.

Just be sure you get them on the first swing. They get smarter and faster with each subsequent swing.

Kyle Iwamoto
05-03-2011, 7:08 PM
Get a 4x4, (non treated) drill a 3/4" or so hole down the center, but not all the way through. Drill a 2nd 1/2" hole on 1 side at an up angle so it meets the first hole. Drill a hole in a jar cover and screw it onto the 4x4 so the bee can go down into the jar. For some reason, thay cannot fly up and get out. The hard part is you need a bee in the jar so the pheroomones attract more bees. I use a bee that I catch an a net and step on. Hang the "trap" near where they are boring. It does not catch many bees, but it will at least make you happy to see them in there. I'd go for the tennis practice too. They do sting hard.
Malathion also works, if you spray it into thier holes with those hand pump sprayers. I've also used caulking compound and mast foam. Lots of things work. They are a pain though. Very strong insects. You can step on them and they don't splat like a roach. Amazing.

Don Alexander
05-03-2011, 8:09 PM
plastic cement roofing and flashing type tar tends to ruin their day but its not very attractive they bore through it but it permanently grounds them DAMHIKT

Mike OMelia
05-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Are you all talking about what we in the South call Bumble Bees? Big black things? Or is there a difference? I had a run in with them at my previous house. Had an outbuilding with a lean-to shed on the back. Those bees started boring holes in some of the 2x4s holding the roof up. Like the goof that I can be, I decided to blow them out with firecrackers. Worked really well! Though I don't recommend this for expensive structures. Cracker would blow and out would stumble 5-6 stunned ( and just about dead) bumble bees. After a while, they got the hint.

Mike

Gary Hodgin
05-03-2011, 11:39 PM
Mike,
There's a difference between bumble bees and carpenter bees. Carpenter bees bore into wood and can cause big problems. They do look a lot alike and I thought my carpenter bees were bumble bees until someone told me about them.
http://www.livingwithbugs.com/bumble_bee.html

Russ Filtz
05-06-2011, 11:50 AM
the insecticide followed by a bunch of the expanding foam "Great Stuff". They can't push it out like caulk. If lucky, you'll encase them immediately. A few might eat their way out sideways, but just have to keep treating & foaming!

Mike OMelia
05-14-2011, 8:57 AM
:cool: Put a cell phone near them.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/05/13/cell-phones-caused-mysterious-worldwide-bee-deaths-study-finds/

Mike

Sam Gerald
02-21-2012, 12:03 PM
I like the advice in this thread, although if the traps don't work you might want to check out this site for carpenter bee control (http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/carpenter-bees-c-142.html). I found some great stuff there.

Brian Vaughn
02-21-2012, 1:38 PM
I've done like Lee, and used the badmitton racquet, and also used a BB gun (Really helps with instinctual aiming), however it never fixed the infestation, merely slowed it....but it was fun! :D And remember, Carpenter bees don't sting, so don't be afraid to get in there.

Lee Schierer
02-21-2012, 6:34 PM
Here's a photo224621 of one you can make. I made one last summer, but didn't get a chance to try it. There are actually three entrance holes (you can only see the one in the front in the photo.) slanted upwards. one in each side and one in the front, the holes are 3/8 diameter. Do a google search for "Carpenter Bee Traps" and you will find several ideas and sources for buying traps.