PDA

View Full Version : Madrone Brothers Finished

Hayes Rutherford
05-03-2011, 8:56 AM
Previously I had posted a group picture of some madrone forms that were turned green and I had stopped baby sitting the drying process. Here are four of the eight with a single coat of WOP. The rounded pumpkin looking one has one coat of DO. I may end up rubbing a little more WOP on, very sparingly, and will post the results if I get to that point. I would like to see a little more glow but not a gloss shine. C&C welcome and thanks for looking.

David Gilbert
05-03-2011, 9:28 AM
I really like how these forms moved when they dried out. The first one looks as if it was a sack of marbles. You might consider using Minwax Antique Oil as a finish. This will give a bit of a shine.

Do you have any photos of these just after they came off of your lathe? The before and after photos would be fascinating.

Thanks,
David

bob edwards
05-03-2011, 9:45 AM
These are just great! I too like the sack of marbles.

Steve Schlumpf
05-03-2011, 9:50 AM
Man! I love these! Each has it's own personality! I can see them on display in an art gallery! Yup! Folks are going to love them!

Dale Miner
05-03-2011, 9:55 AM
The beads really showcase the movement and add another layer of interest.

Looks like the chidren did OK without babysitting.

Scott Hackler
05-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Those turned out awesome. I love the clay pot effect. I would lean towards a oil only type of finish. Either tung or Blo. That would bring out the character of the wood without a shine. Very neat. Makes me want to order some Madrone!

John Hart
05-03-2011, 10:38 AM
I love the names!!! Jon, Jer, Jac, and Jake. Too cool :)

I love 'em all....but I gotta get on the bandwagon that Jon is my favorite. The figure in that one is awesome. Nice job, Hayes!

Ron Stadler
05-03-2011, 10:38 AM
I myself like the second one the best, but they are all cool. They really do have that ancient pottery look to them.

Jim Burr
05-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Those are the best Hayes!! Little personality pots. Maybe some Formbys tung oil finish, low gloss to pop that grain and keep the shine to a minimum. Really nice shapes!

Bernie Weishapl
05-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Really nice Hayes. I like how they warped and produced a lot of personality.

David E Keller
05-03-2011, 7:48 PM
These are great, Hayes! These are easily some of the most appealing pieces I've seen in a long time. I'd consider a coat of renaissance wax... People are gonna want to put their hands all over these!

philip labre
05-03-2011, 9:25 PM
These turned out awesome, Hayes!!! The care taken in drying really paid off.

Baxter Smith
05-03-2011, 9:29 PM
Really nice Hayes. Must be fun to touch them. I turned thin one little cherry burl dish about a year ago. Had some wonderful texture after drying until I finished it with several coats of lacquer. It looked ok but it just wasn't the same. Should have used AO to have a slight gloss without losing the touch.

Dan Forman
05-03-2011, 9:56 PM
Pretty darned cool. Maybe you should call them "Madrone Elders" instead? :)

Michelle Rich
05-04-2011, 6:33 AM
like #2 & 3 very rugged looking

James Combs
05-04-2011, 12:23 PM
I like them all but man that last one if it had a leather thong interwoven through the neck could pass for an ancient leather coin purse.

Curt Fuller
05-04-2011, 8:49 PM
I love how they turned out!