PDA

View Full Version : those crazy ebayers

Zach England
05-03-2011, 8:54 AM
C'mon, 'fess up. Which one of you is responsible for this?

Paul Ryan
05-03-2011, 9:35 AM
I saw that yesterday. I just wondered if someone would actually buy them. Is there really a market for lie-nielsen boxes.

David Weaver
05-03-2011, 10:04 AM
There wouldn't be if people just called LN when they found themselves in need of a box.

Zach England
05-03-2011, 10:11 AM
I throw the boxes away.

george wilson
05-03-2011, 10:27 AM
It is always better to have the box when you sell a fine tool. In the gun World,having the box makes a very significant increase in value,like $50.00 or more. Just something to bear in mind. This sort of thing is in the mindset of collectors. I am sure some people buy tools to collect rather than use them. Look at all the constant flow of never used Bridge City tools on Ebay.

Tom Vanzant
05-03-2011, 11:37 AM
For NIB, you need the box.

Charles Goodnight
05-03-2011, 11:58 AM
yabut what I really want is the contents of the boxes. that looks like somebody got a mighty fine set of tools there.

David Peterson
05-03-2011, 12:06 PM
I have a friend who keeps the boxes for just about everything he owns. They take up more space in his apartment than their contents!
My boxes end up in the trash as soon as they're emptied. Although, saying that, I do have my Bridge City Tool boxes. They're just nice boxes.

Zach England
05-03-2011, 12:49 PM
I even throw away the clamshell plastic cases my power tools come in. There are a few times I have wished I had them. I just don't have room to store that crap.

Jeff Wittrock
05-03-2011, 8:29 PM
I remember an ebay listing for an iphone when they first came out. The listing said something like "You are bidding on an iphone box. This box may or may not contain an iphone"
I hope the guy (or gal) bidding on those boxes doesn't have a similar plot in mind :). You might see a future listing like "This box may or may not contain an LN 5-1/2".

Jim Koepke
05-03-2011, 8:34 PM
On some things, I save the boxes.

Someday my passing will come. Those left behind may want to sell my tools instead of keep them. They will be able to ship and cash in a little easier with the original boxes.

jtk

Roy Lindberry
05-03-2011, 11:05 PM
C'mon, 'fess up. Which one of you is responsible for this?

Man, I didn't know you could sell boxes on ebay. I've got some wheat thins boxes and a few raisin bran boxes in the bin. Perhaps I should list them?

Trevor Walsh
05-04-2011, 8:01 AM
Roy, what vintage are they? I've rounded out my 1998 Kellog's cereal box collection, but still need a few pieces for the 2001 Nabisco lineup, including the 4 and 10 ounce Wheat Thins Original crackers. Please let me know if you've got the missing box I need. :rolleyes:

JK

Roy Lindberry
05-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Roy, what vintage are they? I've rounded out my 1998 Kellog's cereal box collection, but still need a few pieces for the 2001 Nabisco lineup, including the 4 and 10 ounce Wheat Thins Original crackers. Please let me know if you've got the missing box I need. :rolleyes:

JK

Trevor, you seriously had me laughing out loud with that one.

Pam Niedermayer
05-04-2011, 12:09 PM
I'm a little confused. I thought we weren't even supposed to mention ebay on this forum, and here's an entire thread about ebay. Moderator, please help. My assumption at this point is I somehow misunderstood the prime directive.

Pam

Jim Koepke
05-04-2011, 12:17 PM
I'm a little confused. I thought we weren't even supposed to mention ebay on this forum, and here's an entire thread about ebay. Moderator, please help. My assumption at this point is I somehow misunderstood the prime directive.

Pam

My understanding is that we are not to link directly to ebay auctions.

At one time there was kind of a joke referral to ebay as "the auction sight that shall not be named" to kind of go along with the Harry Potter character Voldemort.

The TOS makes this almost as clear as mud. :D

jtk

Kent A Bathurst
05-04-2011, 12:22 PM

Pam

Pam - we've gotta reference the 'bay, so we can talk about lunatics - since there aren't any here. ;)

Pam Niedermayer
05-04-2011, 12:43 PM
My understanding is that we are not to link directly to ebay auctions....

Now that makes some sense, given local bidders and the like.

Thanks,
Pam

Pam Niedermayer
05-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Pam - we've gotta reference the 'bay, so we can talk about lunatics - since there aren't any here. ;)

LOL :)

Pam

Dan Hintz
05-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Pam,

The TOS says no hotlinks to eBay, not the word itself... the best way is as Zach has done it, mention the eBay item number.

Dave Anderson NH
05-04-2011, 2:02 PM
Dan is correct. Links to eBay or its auctions are not permitted under the TOS. Somehow over the years people's senses of humor have evolved the link prohibition into a ban on even mentioning eBay. It's a classic case of something being repeated often enough that it becomes "fact". I suppose that if folks prefer we could get the terms of service changed to come into compliance with the folklore. LOL

Pam Niedermayer
05-04-2011, 2:09 PM
Thanks, Dave and Dan, I always thought the folklore version was stupid policy, now I can pretend to be an adult when referring to ebay. There! I said it. :)

Pam

Paul Ryan
05-05-2011, 8:51 AM
Someone has bid on the boxes. Who dun it?

Trevor Walsh
05-05-2011, 5:30 PM
You're welcome Roy, though if you thought the written version was funny, I wish you could have been around to hear me say it out loud. My girlfriend didn't find it as funny though, too bad.

Caspar Hauser
05-05-2011, 7:22 PM

Pam

The Prime Directive requires there be 'no interference In the internal affairs of another species'.

Seems appropriate. It is a tangential universe after all.

Dan Hintz
05-06-2011, 6:59 AM
The Prime Directive requires there be 'no interference In the internal affairs of another species'.
I nearly snorted tea out of my nose reading that...

Pam Niedermayer
05-06-2011, 1:52 PM

LOL, you've glommed onto my intent perfectly. :)

Pam

john brenton
05-06-2011, 2:24 PM
If you all start speaking Klingon I'm going to have to ask for moderation.

There are two bids on the boxes with two days left to go. .